Help IM vanishing.

JCATOM

Hi im JC from italy and i've been vegan for 6months!!!

i'll try to simplify this.

-I've been doing loads of sport in the last ten years to make up for being lazy from (form 17 to 27 i did very little)

-I've alway ate loads of junk food.

-been in the gym for five years (i started to help me with my rugby but kind of got hooked although its tough to admit)

-always been big (105\110 kg) fat yes but a good muscle base (alway been considered tough both in the gym and on the rugby pitch)

-gave up rugby and kick boxing (very unwillingly) due to important leg problems.

-still do gym and a little mtb

-went vegan SIX MONTHS AGO

-first month i lost a little weight and strength

-stablised.

-started take soy protein (never taken any suppliments in my life before...kind of feels like cheating)

-stayed stable but never gain back any strength

-lately i've started loosing again.

-i now way 96kg. I feel MUCH BETTER but....i am weaker.

-i work out 4 times a week plus maybe one day of mountain biking

-my personal train at the gym tried to help me out but believes i am missing at least milk protein

-i don't care and will never change back to not being vegan but i also have to admit to myslef that i kind of liked being BIG and strong. ...i do suppose my body looks better and i do know i am still adapting but the weakness does anger me and make me want to quit the gym.

FOrgive my bad english which is rather rusty.

Hi from italy

Hi and welcome.

I think when you lose weight you can generally expect to lose some strength.. ie. you lose fat and some muscle. It makes sense that lighter people have less overall muscle mass that heavier people - a likely reason for weight classes in Olympic lifting. I've been eating vegan for 3 months and have only lost 3 pounds - my lifts have not decreased. (I only lift heavy for deadlift and squats since I have a shouler injury).

Since you are losing weight, it would seem you are not eating enough for all of your activities. If you want to gain some mass (and strength) then you will need to eat a lot more. Adding healthy fats and proteins to your meals will help with that. It is really easy to add tons of calories to a protein shake by throwing in , nut or soy milk, chia seeds, flax seeds and nut butters. Do that and you can ignore your trainer's suggestions completely ..and you won't have to quit the gym.

There is a post here by 'no meat athlete' where he says he managed to gain 17 pounds in 6 weeks. He started at like 132 pounds, so gaining 17 pounds sounds like an accomplishment to me. He did really have to work to eat enough tho.

Welcome to the forum!

Great to have you here.

Cool there is a reference to No Meat Athlete here. I'm at the creator of No Meat Athlete's house right now

Anyway, a lot of us struggle with building muscle and reaching goals in general. We have to really evaluate what we're doing, take detailed notes, makes changes and observe results.

Heavy compound lifts, quality foods and consistency should yield positive results.

Have fun with training too. That's a huge part of it. Enjoy it, work hard, set goals and go out there and achieve them.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! Go Italy! Beat Germany today! Robert and I are going to watch in NYC at a German bar today, I will be surrounded by your enemy but cheering for your country. PS I think you should just boost your calorie intake, get some avocados, coconuts, and yams in your life. I like hemp protein. Vega is my favorite brand, they use a combo of hemp and pea and rice proteins along with a lot of other healthy nutrients.

-Dylan