Ive converted but I need some guidance

I'm a 22 year old male who (i thought) had a relatively balanced diet. I eat a lot of fibers, strictly whole wheat, nothing white in color, etc. However, Ive recently realized and believe that cutting out dairy and meats would significantly improve my health.

This is where I need help. I'm used to the whey after workout and casein before bed regimen. Ive already bought myself a sun warrior protein supplement for after workouts but what should i eat before going to bed?

Ive also read the website for some guidance but do any of you have any tips that really make the transition easier/better or any tips in general?

Thanks in advanced.

Welcome.

It is good that you have cut out the dairy and meats, you are correct this will improve your health.

You don't have to necessarly eat anything before going to bed. It depends on what you have ate during the day, what your goals are(lose wt./gain wt etc) and if you are hungry at that time or not. If you are hungry and want to eat then, I would eat whatever you think you have been low in consuming so far during that day, rather it be vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts/seeds etc. I personally like to eat fruit smoothies with some raw vegetables ground into it as my last thing in a day, which is usually couple hours before I go to bed.

Thanks for the reply Phyto but I'm wondering if you subscribe to the ketosis philosophy. Besides, wouldnt eating simple sugars before bed cause an unnecessary insulin spike resulting in weight gain?

I don't eat a ketosis type diet personally and don't have any experience with it as far as knowing someone personally who uses it. I understand that some use it to cut weight before a show, which apparently it is good for. I don't believe it is necessary to use over an extended time frame.

My diet averages around 50-60% carbs, which mostly come from vegetables, fruit, wild rice, millet, quinoa, and amaranth. I seldom eat potatoes, bread, pasta, white rice, cereal, etc. I think oats are fine, but they give me indigestion. So while I am not on a low carb ketosis type diet, I am still careful about where my carbs come from, especially the complex carbs I consume.

As far as eating simple sugars before bed, in theory what you suggest makes sense as far as causing an insulin spike and possible weight gain but I have never experienced that as a problem. For someone who wasn't very active or was eating candy/soda type simple sugars it could be an issue. If I eat before going to bed it is usually a fruit smoothie or nuts/seeds and usually 1-2 hrs before actually going to sleep. I usually only do this when I have a late workout and I then get hungry after the workout, so similar to a recovery type meal.

Thanks phyto. I tend to overworry about these things. Still not use to the "not meat protein" thing but I seriously can already feel myself getting less tired and having more energy. this stuff works.