Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: IronSmith's Vegan Diet & Exercise Log to Defeat Cancer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 am 
Rabbit

Two of my old training partners are coming over this afternoon to visit. Kirk and Rick. Both were two of my eight national champions who training at my gym, The Iron Smith Gym. They were part of my Anvils Drug Free Powerlifting Team. Its going to be so good to see them. Both are still training but neither have competed in several years. I may try to rekindle the fire in there souls. Might be just the thing to get my own competitive juices going. With my hormone depletion therapy, I could never reach the weights I use to lift but so what? Just to have fun and be the best I can be now. But I would have to lift with my head and not my ego. I'm very careful these days to avoid over training! We will see!

Held Drug Free Powerlifting State, National, & World Records in the Federations NASA, AAPF, ADFPA, & Amateur IPA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 pm 
Rabbit

Had a great visit with two of old training partners today. Great getting an update on their current training and future meets coming up. I was thrilled to learn they were both going to compete July 15 in an World Natural Powerlifting Federation meet here in the WNPF NATIONAL TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS- Youngstown, Ohio. I told them I would love to go with them and act as their meet coach like old times. We will leave Saturday and stay over night in a hotel and they compete on Sunday. Should be lots of fun. I also promised I will try to drive to Columbus every other week to work out with them. Should be a very big motivation for all of us!

Held Drug Free Powerlifting State, National, & World Records in the Federations NASA, AAPF, ADFPA, & Amateur IPA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 am 
Rabbit

Weighted in at 290 this morning. Down from my top of 365 a year or so ago. Slow but sure! Going down in my basement gym in a few minutes to ride my incumbent bike and then come up and drink my green smoothie. Then drive to Columbus for my weekly nutritional I.V. Doing what I can. I am so determined to beat this cancer that I look forward to every day to make more progress! And all the family and friends activities the past two weeks is such a blessing. Starting next Wednesday I will drive to Columbus every week to spend the day with my grandsons. I will watch them as both their parents are at work. My daughter-in-law has other arrangements other week days but Wednesdays are going to be my day to be with them. I've done this the past three summers and means so much to me. Love those two guys so much!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:36 pm 
Rabbit

Went down to Pat Flocks' "Underground Gym" in downtown Springfield, Ohio this afternoon to coach a new powerlifter (only two meets) on his bench and how to bring up his triceps. It a wonder many lifters make any progress at all due to poor form and inadequate cycle planning. In about 20 minutes I brought up this guy's bench by 15 pounds without any real gain in strength. Within a few weeks I will bet he will gain another 25 pounds with just the few changes we made. I was afraid to throw too much at him to soon as it might overwhelming him. But I will check on him in about a month to see how he's doing! I always find paying back to the sport always give me more energy for my own training.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 pm 
Rabbit

Monday was max effort squats and back exercises
Tuesday I rode my bike.
Wednesday was maximum effort bench.
Thursday was bike day again.
Today was speed squats and back exercises.
Tomorrow I will take a long walk and do speed benches on Sunday.

That is a typical week of training.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:12 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Great stuff going on in this journal.

I like the detail, the positivity and even reading through how you train is pretty neat. Keep up the good work !!

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:19 am 
Rabbit

Life can pull you off schedule if you let it. Been a very busy past few weeks. I had to skip a few workouts but was able to do them a day or two later. Doubled up workouts a few days but tried to be careful not to over do it, i.e. over train.The busy activities and unexpected events of our lives can give us excuses to skip our workouts but that is all they are, excuses. A firm commitment to take good care of ones self is always the top priority! The question everyday is it going to be a day of preserving life or decay? That may sound harsh but it's that vital! Always make the choices to care for yourself so you may then be in the best postion to care for others!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 am 
Rabbit

Good article!

Weight Training Benefits Prostate Cancer Patients

Exercise has been shown to help people with several types of cancer cope with the fatigue and functional decline that often result from the treatment for the disease. Now a new study shows for the first time that men with advanced prostate cancer can also reap some of these benefits.

Writing in the Journal of Clinical Oncology (Vol. 21, No.9: 1653-1659), researchers from the Ottawa Regional Cancer Center in Canada report that weight training helped reduce fatigue and improved quality of life in a group of men being treated with hormone therapy for prostate cancer.

Hormone therapy (androgen suppression or deprivation) can shrink or slow the growth of existing prostate tumors by lowering levels of testosterone, which the cancer cells need to grow. This therapy is typically used when a prostate tumor has spread, or when the cancer has not been eliminated by other treatments like surgery or radiation, or when it has recurred after treatment.

But hormone therapy can have side effects including fatigue, functional decline, increased body fat, and loss of lean body tissue, lead author Roanne J. Segal, MD, and colleagues write. Because weight training (resistance exercise) has been shown to help healthy men build muscle, reduce fat, and improve mood, the researchers surmised it could have similar benefits for men on androgen suppression therapy.

Men Felt Stronger, Less Tired

The researchers recruited 155 men on hormone therapy for prostate cancer to take part in the study. All the men took an initial fitness test to determine upper and lower body strength, and completed a questionnaire about their level of fatigue and health-related quality of life.

Eighty-two men were then assigned to perform resistance training for 12 weeks. The patients met with a certified fitness consultant who showed them warm-up and cool-down exercises, and supervised a weight training program consisting of leg and chest exercises. The men worked out three times per week, doing two sets of eight to 12 repetitions of each exercise.

The 73 men in the control group were not instructed or supervised in exercise during the 12-week study period, though they were given the same type of advice after the study.

When the study began, men in both groups had reported similar levels of fatigue and quality of life. After the 12 weeks, however, men who were doing resistance exercises felt less fatigued and reported a better quality of life than men in the control group. Men who trained with weights also increased their strength over the study period, while men who didn't actually lost strength in their arms and legs. Neither group improved in terms of body fat or body mass index (BMI).

No Increase in Testosterone

The men in the study achieved these physical improvements without any apparent negative side effects. The exercise program did not significantly change levels of testosterone or PSA (prostate-specific antigen, a marker of prostate cancer) in their blood.

However, the researchers did not check the men for anemia, a common side effect of prostate cancer, either before or after the study. If some of the men were anemic, that could have accounted for some of their fatigue.

Despite this limitation, this type of study provides important information for doctors who treat cancer patients, write oncologists Daniel Rayson and Leonard Reyno, of the QEII Cancer Care Program in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in an accompanying editorial.

"As clinicians, we are often asked 'What more can I do to improve my overall health,'" they write. This study "provides important guidance to cancer care clinicians" about the benefits of exercise for prostate cancer patients, they say.

The editorialists conclude that more programs like the one studied should be developed to help cancer patients feel better during and after treatment.

Article Source: Yahoo Health
Article Author: N/A

Net Reference 106

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 pm 
Rabbit

Been a little under the weather the past few days. Went to my GP Doc today. Very sore throat and my voice sounds like Mickey Mouse. Which my family finds very funny even as they wish me to get better ASAP. My Doc took a throat culture and has put me on antibiotics. I hate to take them as they always screw up my probiotics. Just need to replace them. Didn't do much exercise except for some walking since I have felt sick. Even if I feel like hell, I always still try to get my walking in the Sun in. I hope to feel better in a few days and up my exercise again. Also playing close attention to be sure I'm getting extra Vit C and the rest of my nutritional supplements in too. I also went to have my I.V. nutritional treatment today too. Got to keep pushing even if at a slower pace at times!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:05 pm 
Rabbit

Laying low today. Very tired from my sore throat and coughing all the time. Just trying to rest up, take my supplements and good vegan food, and remain positive the best I can. Easy to do whats right when you feel good but much harder when feeling bad. I will take my walk in a few minutes in the warm sun. That always makes me feel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:21 pm 
Rabbit

I keep reading about all the junk and dangerous substances in our food chain mostly in processed food but also the pesticides on our produce. That's the main reason I try to alway choose organic vegetables and fruit. It may be more expensive but cheaper than big medical bills!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:45 am 
Rabbit

Feeling better but still sound like Mickey Mouse. At least I'm not coughing as much and my blood pressure is coming down to a more normal level. Also have more energy. Just keep putting one foot in front of another and keep my hope alive!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:25 pm 
VBB Moderator

My friend Carmen, the comedian with cancer, has sadly passed away. She hadn't been eating a plant based diet, oh how I wish she would have given that a try. She will be missed by so many. I don't remember if you got a chance to look up her clips or not.
Keep up the fight my friend. You have so much strength in nutrient, exercise, and mindset on your side you can't lose!

-Dylan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:22 pm 
Rabbit

Thank you for your support. Sad to hear about your friend Carmen. I did see one or two of her clips. Very remarkable lady! RIP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:43 am 
Rabbit

Life must go on. Spend most of the day at the hospital yesterday. My 93 year old Father-in-law was admitted due to possible rectal cancer. This will of course be the top concern this weekend and beyond as we wait for tests, etc. My place is by the side of my wife as she tends to her Father. She lost her Mom just a few short years ago and this is very difficult for her. It just brings home to her how worried she is also about my health concerns. So no excuses for me to backslide and "anxiety eat". I weighted in at 289 this morning. First time I have been in the 280's in about 20 years. I must take care of myself. Too many people depend on me. Make that so many wonderful people depend on me. And I love them all so much.

My throat feels much better this morning. My voice has come down an octave but still not at my usual deep voice. Some time this weekend I will try to hit the weights for the first time in about 10 days. I feel my energy returning. Easy goes it but feel the need to hit the gym once again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next