POLL: How hot do you like your weight room?

How hot do you like your weight room?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's finally summer in Portland, Oregon, and the annual debate about when to turn on the air conditioners in the gym has begun. Being a winter weather type, I'm usually the first to suggest closing all the windows and cranking up the cool. In fact, if it weren't for all this blonde hair and freckles, I'd swear I was part Inuit. I work out in a rec center where the patrons have control over the windows, fans, and air conditioners, so I'm usually the one walking around and asking everybody if I can hit "Max" on the AC.

I've tried working out in a hot weight room before in the interest of keeping my muscles warm but it just gives me a splitting headache and a queasy feeling. I work out hard enough as it is that cold muscles have never been a problem. As I like to say, if it's too cold, you can always add clothes but if it's too hot, there's only so many clothes you can remove before people call the cops.

How about you? Do you like your weight room hot or cold? We're talkin' weight room here, not cardio.

Baby Herc

I like it cooler when I'm training (I'd rather put on an extra t-shirt than be dripping with sweat in the first 5 minutes), but I don't have much of a choice. No AC at our facility, so whatever the outside temp is, you can bet it's just as hot inside. Been close to 100 degrees here for days on end, I haven't been able to train because of it (even at night, the temp in the facility with both loading dock doors open still means it's 5-8 degrees hotter inside), but I hear a cool front is coming our way, and not a moment too soon!

I like it cooler when I'm training (I'd rather put on an extra t-shirt than be dripping with sweat in the first 5 minutes), but I don't have much of a choice. No AC at our facility, so whatever the outside temp is, you can bet it's just as hot inside. Been close to 100 degrees here for days on end, I haven't been able to train because of it (even at night, the temp in the facility with both loading dock doors open still means it's 5-8 degrees hotter inside), but I hear a cool front is coming our way, and not a moment too soon!

Oh, man, Ryan, that sucks like my vacuum! Is this the new place or the old place?

Baby Herc

Still the old place, Herc - we've had two places fall through in the past week due to a screwy lease structure on one (would have been $2500/month year one, then $3400/month year two, then back to $3100/month from there on out - didn't make any sense!), the other one said we needed to put in better restrooms to accommodate, which was fine until they told us that they'd need to pad our lease with $35k in extra charges for building us a small restroom/changing area with a tiny little shower stall. Yep, the same thing a handyman could build in a day for $3k, they wanted almost 12x that amount.

Now we've only got 40 days to figure it out, all three of us who are partners are going off the wall over how terrible it has been to simply find a new gym home that isn't charging too much, or, doesn't have zoning issues that prevent us from getting our stuff moved in!

It depends on the workout I'm doing and honestly, if it's too cold then by the time I'm done and sweating like crazy, I'm FREEZING. Ideally I like to work out when the temp indoors is around 70, but if I'm doing some crazy HIIT workout I'd like it a little cooler.

As long as there's airflow and fans going so I have options of cold/hot/cool as I need it, I'm good to go.

• 1 month later...

This weekend portends the hottest stretch of Portland weather all year, so I'm planning my gym visit strategically. If I get there too early, some diehard sweatin' types will likely still have the sticky windows open. But if I get there in early afternoon, everyone will have succumbed to the heat and cranked up the air conditioners by then. After which, I will drown myself in multiple frozen fruit smoothies and go to bed early. If I wake before dawn, I can still get in a run before the sun rises and the thermometer explodes. It's all in the timing.

Baby Herc