Austin! The Musical. or Vegantri's Training Journal.

Intro:

I am a little late to starting my 2012 journal posting but have been training none the less.

I am in my 5th year triathlon racing with a goal of doing the Texas Tri Series plus the Austin 70.3.

So far things have been going well and the plan is to use the journal here to keep things on track.

Great to see you on the forum!

Hope all is well and maybe see you around ATX. I'm on the east coast the next 2.5 months but back later on this summer.

Have a great one! All the best with your upcoming Tri Series!

-Robert

So impressed by triathletes. You do weight training and long distance swimming or a significant run like 3 miles all in the same day? I though most people try to train specific muscle groups at a time. Do you think combining this gives you an advantage or do you think it may slow your muscle training/ recovery process at all? I don't have an opinion here, I'm no triathlete. I was just curious as to your thoughts as to why you train the way you do?

-Dylan

So impressed by triathletes. You do weight training and long distance swimming or a significant run like 3 miles all in the same day? I though most people try to train specific muscle groups at a time. Do you think combining this gives you an advantage or do you think it may slow your muscle training/ recovery process at all? I don't have an opinion here, I'm no triathlete. I was just curious as to your thoughts as to why you train the way you do?

-Dylan

My weekly/daily workout load changes with where I am at in the season. So for the off season I will lower the swim/run/bike volume to maintenance mode with one workout a day and do four days of weights to add on some muscle. As I get into prepping for the racing season I will start to add volume on the swim/run/bike side and reduce the lifting to three days and once things get rolling it pretty much becomes the opposite of off season where I am mostly doing swim/run/bike workouts and lifting goes to maintenance with just two days a week. So when I am doing the four lifting days I will do more muscle group specific workouts with heavier weights and as I work my way to the two my workouts become more total body with lighter weights and more reps. Currently my schedule is:

Mon: Lift

Tues: Bike & Swim Weds Run & Lift

Thurs: Run & Bike

Fri: Swim & Lift & Bike

Sat: Bike & Run

Sun: Run & Swim

In a few weeks I will drop down to just two days of lifting and leave the rest of the schedule intact with the run, bike and swim workouts getting longer.

While my data is totally antidotal I find that lifting helps a lot with running and cycling and doing a regular core workout helps with all three sports and by adjusting my resistance training to be complementary to what I am trying to accomplish with my racing goals it avoids prolonged recovery times.

That is the kind of the high level overview of it. Hope that makes sense.

No workouts today per se but it was a race day.

16th/76 Age Group, 82nd/407 Gender, 89th/691 Overall, 1:15:48

500m Swim / 14mi bike / 3mi Run

1:59 per 100m / 20.7mph / 7:35 per mile

Overall I am pretty happy with the results. I think I have a tendency to soft peddle during the bike to keep from blowing up on the run and will likely push harder in the next race. Still need all around improvement but I am happy with the run and bike splits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Monday: 7/16/2012

Core workout

Barbell Sumo Deadlift

Superset:

Stability ball Pushups

Smith Machine Inverted Pull Ups

Split Squat Dumb bell Curl Presses

Superset:

Low Hold Squat Dual Cable Wide Pulldowns

Rocker Side Lunges and Cable Woodchops

Side Pillar Hip Lifts

Are your bike intervals done on a trainer? Do you recommend a specific trainer that you use?

I'm starting my search for one...... I'd believe it help make my bike training easier-my work schedule doesn't always allow for early morning rides when it's cool!

LMNgetfit -

I do my rides outside whenever I can. So, the intervals mentioned were done on the road. I do have a trainer Minoura that I use if the weather is bad but that is on the off days that it gets cold in Texas or if I can't get a ride in during the daylight hours. Riding on a trainer is really boring so I avoid whenever I can. My understanding is that rollers are far better for indoor training but I have yet to use them.