Anybody here outdoorsy?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm heading away this weekend, going to spend a few days at our holiday home. It's right on the lakefront, not much out there so very quiet and relaxing. Just a few quiet beers at night, a good long run followed by a massage and a swim or two in the lake with very little technology to distract me. Perfect.

No, perfect is when you email me the address and a plane ticket.

Baby Herc

Hahaha, that's what dreams are for !!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I went to commune with some out of the way waterfalls I know about and, well, one thing led to another and now here I stand with aching quads after a long hike on the Pacific Crest Trail at dusk. There ain't nothin' like the sun going down and no headlamp to keep your feet moving in bear-infested waters, let me tell you. Had that creepy I'm Not Alone Feeling the entire way. (shudder) Kind of disappointed I didn't see one, though. All I got was a Black-tailed deer and a Western Tanager. http://birdweb.org/birdweb/bird/western_tanager

Thank goodness there's 48 hours until leg day.

Baby Herc

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know of any good out of the way hikes close by? I wish your PMs were turned on. We need to talk

"Out of the way" and "close by" are not mutually inclusive in Oregon. If you want serenity, I'm afraid you'll have to drive for it. My PM is turned back on. I had it off for a few months; was getting too much attention from some groupies in here.

I know Forest Park, Sauvie Island, the Gorge on the Washington side, Mt. Hood, and the entire coast from southern Washington down to Newport, Oregon, really well. I've done hot spots south of here like Silver Falls, Smith Rock, etc. but I'd like to do a lot more in that area. I focus on remote, wild areas with wide, open spaces and elevation. Otherwise, your view is just one tree after another the whole, damned way--yawn! That's why I've only done a dozen or so hikes on the Oregon side of the Gorge. If you are willing to break the one-hour-driving barrier, you'll see your options explode into much higher numbers and the crowds fade away.

A trail that's got it all is Saddle Mountain, which I did again last Friday. It'll be up on my hiking blog soon. The first time I was there, it was so socked in with moisture and clouds, I couldn't see twenty feet in front of me the entire way. My hiking companion kept whining, "There really IS a view, honest!" but all I saw that day was grey and ravens. Well, last Friday, it was mostly sunny and, Oh, Mama, what a freakin' view! From the summit, you can see the ocean, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Baker, and something snow covered very far away to the east--the Blue Mountains, maybe. You are literally surrounded by snow capped volcanoes. Caveat: very crowded on peak days, not for the acrophobic, poison oak and other nasties abound, a relatively easy trail that attracts a high Idiot Factor. Still, it's close enough to the coast that you can polish off the hike and then cruise down to the beach to dangle your tootsies in the chilly waves.

If you want seclusion, pick any hike and do it on a Tuesday. When it's raining. In November.

So, do you want elevation or distance? Silence or people? Ease or mud? Danger or safety? Mosquitoes or poison oak? Ha, ha, that last one was a trick question.

Baby Herc

Oooooh, your turn to post some photos!

My Colorado stuff is all old school film photos, I'll have to scan them, but I'll get around to it, I promise.

In the meantime, I'm basking in the glow of a six mile walk of pure ecstatic silence (soooo glad I'm not one of those people who need to bring along technology) that involved free treats: the naturalized cherry trees along tonight's trail were full of plump, ripe fruit. My fingers are stained but I'm happy. Burp.

Baby Herc

Holy crap on a cracker. Just survived (barely) a nine mile hike with 2300' of elevation gain...all on one apple and a small handful of trailmix. A bad time to learn that my stomach no longer enjoys nuts with dried fruit. Most wildflowers I've ever seen in one place, though. Ever. Soon as my dogs stop barking, I'll get up at my standing desk and process the 200+ photos I churned out.

Baby Herc