4th time's the charm?

Linking my last journal for my quick access.

I quit working out a few months ago, and although I figured out a few reasons why I quit (no time for other interests), I hadn't figured out all the reasons. Stale music was the main one, which I quickly discovered as I just HAD to move when I bought 3 new albums - for 2+ hours! XD But working out with someone has been the real catalyst. We don't workout together every time, but it makes a big difference to be with someone that knows their shit, is in better shape, is positive, and lives near by! What sucks (for me lol) is that they're getting a better job further away, so I'll probably be solo 90% of the month - but still! ...I'll have to look for someone else.. :o Point is, I have been working out for the past 2 weeks. I figured I should come back to the forums to keep a journal. So here it is:

Current Workout Motivators

- Bigger arms, shoulders & calfs.

- Lose cellulite on butt and thighs.

- Gain an ass my husband can't let go of.

- Dance for 4+ hours on Industrial nights.

- Be able to do Yoga without making a mockery of myself.

- Doing the splits has always been a passive goal of mine.. so, why not!

- Lose like.. uh.. idk 5% body fat? I don't have much to lose, but it would kick to be leaner!

To Be Done In The Near Future:

- take pictures of myself for before/during/after shots... yea, I STILL haven't done this.. so embarrassed lol.

- finish reading Robert Cheeke's Vegan Bodybuilding book.

- read Brandan Brazier's Thrive books.

- research sneakers to make sure I have the best Vegan ones my money can afford for jogging.

- Buy more raw super foods to help recovery & build muscles!

Date: Dienstag, Juni 26th

Time: 12pm, ish?

Today's Goals: Workout for a longer time than I can when it's a work day lol

Today's workout: Stretched, elliptical, jogged, elliptical, butt exercises, stretched.

Warm-up: My understanding of Warming-up is to stretch.. so, I did so, for 15mins. It was good.

Workout:

Elliptical for 10mins until I saw it wasn't raining.

Took the dog out for a jog for 10mins as it started raining.

Got back on elliptical for 20mins +/-.

Did some butt exercises for 10mins: Squats, Front Lunges, Side Lunges, Deadlift, Donkey Kick R&L, Hip Bridge, Leg Extensions, & Flutter kicks. The latter two were a joke and a half lol, I could hardly do them & totally needed padding under my pubic bone because they hurt like a bitch!

Supplements:

Vega Pre-workout Energizer

1 Chlorella tablet

1 of 3 Mega Food Vegan Daily (I can't yet afford to take all 3 in one day)

1 Mega Food Vegan Protect

1 HealthForce Ultimate ORAC

500mg MSM

Post-Workout Meals:

Modified Thrive post-workout recipe

Modified Thrive protein shake

..Didn't have the ingredients to make them just right : P

Notes/Comments: I felt the burn in my glutes, AND has a mini "runners high"! = D

Way to stay at it, Mina, even when you feel like you don't have optimal conditions around you, like a lifting partner. Keep the faith: soon, you will be the better-shaped mentor to a lifting buddy who says, "She really knows her shit!" Das ist wahr!

Bis spater,

Baby Herc

PS: Doing the splits is easy to accomplish, you can do it. At 17, I could barely touch my toes. At 42, I can do the splits three ways--left foot forward, right foot forward, and straight out to the sides (my favorite, feels so good). All I did was stretch a millimeter further every day until I had it.

Danke schön Baby Herc! Sie sprechen Deutsch? I don't, but I'm learning =)

You're right too, I should just keep at it regardless, but just knowing I have someone I admire to impress, keep up with, & not disappoint has been crazy motivating lol. Either way, I will continue to persist & handle why I quit if/when that happens.

On that same note, I bought water shoes, now know how to drive (got my first license to prove it lol), and will be getting speeds on my bike soon enough if the price is right. Point? I'm better prepared to go to the beach to workout, drive anywhere to workout, and bike anywhere as a workout

Date: Mittwoch, Juni 27

Time: 9am, for about an hour total.

Today's Goals: Run around the block.

Today's workout: Stretched, ran, stretched.

Warm-up: Did mostly leg stretches, and the yoga sun salutation for about 20.

Workout: Ran around the block which took 15-20 mins, did a little bouncing but Emmie (family in laws dog) wasn't with me so it was pretty straight forward. I took my time as I'd like to start encouraging my body to burn fat as fuel, and the little I read said to go mellow lol. Anyways.

Supplements:

Adrenal support from ridgecrest

Chlorophyll

Magnesium

Post-Workout Meals:

Modified Thrive post-workout recipe.

Vega sport protein.

Notes/Comments: my arms hurt the most lol, probably from the sun salutation! I bought some chlorophyll to help keep me alkaline until I can perfect my diet. I think its Brendan Brazier that said staying alkaline will help with recovery and lactic acid and stuffs. Seemed to help some!

Nur ein bisschen. I'm a quarter German but it's the quarter that wants to drink beer, not the quarter that wants to study.

Tschüß!

Baby Herc

Lol cute! Well you spell better than I do, never knew that's what tschüß looked like on paper haha thanks! =)

Notes On Sleep: No idea what's going on lol. I've needed 8-10 hours since I can remember, and yet these last couple of days, when I've been working out more, thinking I need more than ever to rest to recover - I'm waking up after 7 and not able to fall asleep again! Wtf!? Welp, I'm up anyways & might as well workout now! :P

Freitag, Juni 29 Update: Ok, I am seriously baffled lol. For as long as I can remember, I've needed 8+ hours of sleep. I've worked out in January and occasionally needed more than that. For 3 days in a row however, I have fallen asleep around 11:30 & woken up around 6-6:30!! Wtf?!?! The only thing I can possibly think of that could be contributing to this is the Perfect Cleanse (best cleans I got from a short-term [10 days] herbal cleanse: toxins coming out gave me a rash & my left arms lymph nodes were swollen like half sized marbles for almost 2 weeks!) I did from Garden of Life, eating more Chlorella, raw foods, on top of exercising. If those didn't do it, idk wtf is going on, and even if they did, this makes no sense to me. I tried lying in bed each day for an extra hour just in case lol, but nothing. Only yesterday did I feel like I might get too tired during work, so I had some caffeine.. but then why not sleep longer last night if that was the case!? Idk if this is good or not cuz I wanna make sure I am properly recovering from working out lol. Anyways, will post updates as I get them. Maybe this is just a fluke!

Edited by Mina

Date: Donnerstag, Juni 28

Time: 8am - 9:45?

Today's Goals: run around the block & maybe to the park for longer than yesterday.

Today's workout: stretched, ran longer & to the park, then stretched.

Warm-up: Stretched for 20 mins, sun salutation & a few others to make sure I got my calfs, thighs, & butt enough.

Workout: Jogged to the park & made sure I bounced around a bunch to try to strengthen balance & dancing muscles. I think a few people laughed at me, so job well done in my books! =D

Supplements:

1 tab of Chlorella

1 Rainbow Light Curry Iron pill

Chlorophyll in 3 bottles of water.

Post-Workout Meals:

Modified Thrive post-workout recipe.

1 scoop of Vega sport chocolate protein.

Notes/Comments: Quite stiff in the morning, but stretching helps. I think my knees and ankles hurt more the more I bounce around lol, might have something to do with jumping on my tippy toes!

Date: Freitag, Juni 29

Time: 9:00ish - 11:30 ish

Today's Goals: jog until I can't jog no mo

Today's workout: stretched, threw the ball, ran, stretched.

Warm-up: Sun Salutation & some arm stretches for about 20mins. Threw the ball for my new work out partner, to exhaust her.

Workout: Ran to the park, tried to focus more on stamina than bursts.

Supplements:

1 chlorella tablet

Post-Workout Meals:

Vega chocolate sport protein

Notes/Comments: I was gonna do some butt, arm, leg, or ab training, but I had trouble just getting myself going to jog, strangely enough. Tomorrow is def a rest day. Workout wasn't for the whole time listed, there were mini breaks between throwing the ball, jogging, and stretching.

Oh!! And good news, I finally took pictures of my flabby ass! On the downside, it unmotivated me as it looks just like a larger woman's ass, but the mini version, cellulite dimples and all

It should motivate me to workout more, but I just don't work that way. So long as I think I look good, I am rdy to roll! My ignorance was bliss lol. I'm just gonna have to pretend I didn't see my ugly behind & imagine that I alrdy have the hot ass I want =D

Date: Samstag, Juni 30

Off day.

Notes on sleep: I slept about 8-9 hours last night, but I got the same reaction I normally get when I sleep too much: nightmares right before I wake up. We'll see what happens tomorrow. I don't mean to sound ungrateful towards the God of sleep, I'm just afraid this isn't permanent. If it is, you better believe I'll be happy & friken pay due homage!

But again, we'll see...

Date: Montag, Juli 2

Time: 10:30am - 12:30pm

Today's Goals: workout a ton with jogging and weightless training.

Today's workout: stretched, jogged, butt, arms, stretched.

Warm-up: stretched a good 20mins with the sun salutation & extra calf & thigh ones. Should have remembered to stretched arms too..

Workout:

Jogged around the block 3x. Had mini breaks between rounds, 1 to bring the dog back in, and 2 to eat a coconut oil covered date, sprinkled with Vega smoothie mix.

I did the following arm & butt exercises as well as, and as many times as I could in 1 minute.

Butt: deadlift, donkey kick L+R, leg extensions, flutter kicks, jumping lunges, chair, fire tyrant L+R, mountain climbers.

Arms: My arms are very weak, so it's not surprising to me that moves that required me to lift my body were virtually impossible. I have no weights, so for those that required them, I just went through the motions - better than nothing at this point.

Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions L+R, Bent Over Row, Reverse Bridge Dips (impossibly difficult! I did maybe 5 before a tiny muscle in the back of of my right arm cramped up like nobody's business! Couldn't even bend my arm for a few minutes), Half Push-ups, High Side Plank L+R, Front Raises.

Supplements:

1 chlorella tablet

1 Mega Foods Vegan Protect

500mg of MSM

1 tsp of HealthForce Greens

1 dropper of algae DHA + EPA

Post-Workout Meals:

Thrives Lemon-Lime Recovered Drink

Ate pretty big and & some junky meals today! I was so starving after my work out that I would have eaten a brick of tofu! I should have just taken a protein shake, but instead I scarfed down a Boca patty, later had a big marinated tofu sandwich, then a big ass protein & greens smoothie, then a grilled Daiya sandwich, and finally a big salad... I ate way to much and I knew it. I was just so excited to be taken out by my husband, and then to have a grilled cheese sandwich again lol... Anyways. Won't happen again any time soon!

Notes/Comments: I slept almost 8 hours, but didn't feel good. It felt like I was between getting too much sleep & going back to needing more sleep.

Date: Dienstag, Juli 3

Time: 10:30am - 12:30pm

Today's Goals: get a good workout in - go as long as I can without too many bursts lol as I'm trying to increase my stamina.

Today's workout: stretched, jogged, stretched.

Warm-up: the usual sun salutation plus a few others, what ever felt right.

Workout: jogged all the way into the park. As usual, I start with a good pace, speed it up when a good song comes on, slow down when I can't breath, and keep it steady when the songs are just ok, or when I'm too out of breath.

Supplements:

500mg MSM

1 chlorella tab

Post-Workout Meals:

HealthForce greens

Notes/Comments: For the second workout in a row, I smell like a post-hockey game locker room lol. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I'm taking it as one, and as a sign that I really worked my ass off =D

On calories: I felt it was too stressful to count calories. Sometimes I got enough, other times too much or too little. Often I would forget. So never mind them right now! I'm gonna listen to my body, give it the best foods I can, and focus more on getting the hang of working out, before I consider counting them again.

Notes on sleep: I slept almost 8 hours, just like I always have. The good news is that I think I figured it out! 2 things, first is that I think I ate way too much yesterday and too junkie! And second, I think being alkaline also helped!

I looked up what Brendan Brazier had to say about calories in his book Thrive, and it was nice to see that he validated my dislike for focusing on counting them rather than focusing on nutrition. He added that part of recovery ends up being from the food we eat trying to get all our calories in, rather than all from working out! Well, yesterday I know I got too many calories in, and not from the healthiest choices!

Also, all of last week I started making sure I was as alkaline as I could be without actually knowing what my ph was, as I have no test strips yet. Almost all the water I drank had a lot of chlorophyll in it, and I tried to get as many veggies as I could, etc. Yesterday I did not lol. So! Those two factors seem to be why I have been getting less sleep without feeling tired. At least, that is my conclusion thus far. We shall see!

Date: Mittwoch, Juli 4

Off day.

Supplements:

1 açai caffeine drink@ 9:30

1 green tea shot @ 3ish?

2 Garden of Life Bx before bed, +

5 chlorella tabs

1 Mega Foods Vegan protect

Also, started the day off with 1 liter of water, & drank half a gallon of 9.0 alkaline water throughout the day, & ate lots of fiber.

Notes on sleep: I tested out my theory yesterday by trying to remain alkaline all day after working out in hopes that I wouldn't need so much sleep, but no such luck. Maybe my body was just detoxing caffeine or something lol. Idk.. we'll see how things unfold, but let last night be a lesson to me: keep planning for 8hrs of sleep even if you don't end up needed it lol.

Edited by Mina

Date: Donnerstag, Juli 5

Time: 7:45am - 9:15am

Today's Goals: Run for over 20mins then do abs, legs, arms, and butt, as tomorrow is an off day.

Today's workout: stretch, jog, stretch.

Warm-up: I did the usual sun salutation for about 20mins, along with a few other moves. Just got my Vegan Health & Fitness mag in the mail today & was that this yoga combo is in it! =D

Workout: jogged for probably a good hour! Went to the park and did some backwards, & L+R side running, and felt inspired during this one song with a hard chorus to run while taking the widest, and largest steps I could take. My butt was nice and sore afterwards - in fact, it still is, over 12 hours later! I even sweat more than I have ever sweated before! I kept wondering what was falling on my shoulders only to discover that it was my sweat lol! Made my day as I've never been a sweater before =D

I didn't end up doing any other exercises as I was out of time, but it didn't bum me out as I had a great workout anyways!

Supplements:

Vega chocolate sport

3 chlorella tabs

1 Mega Foods Vegan Protect

1 Garden of Life Bx

500mg x 2 of MSM

Post-Workout Meals:

Thrive post-workout recipe (used Vega smoothie infusion instead of hemp protein, and don't have lemon zest on hand)

Notes/Comments: I have been taking a lot of fiber, maybe too much, because of the lack of food diversity in the house. We have bread with 8g of fiber per slice & I eat about 3 sandwiches a day.. needless to say, I have not been going to the ladies lol. So, I'm taking a look at what I can do to eat better, and I took a laxative tonight lol. Good times... /facepalm

Notes on Sleep: I went to bed around 11:30-12 & woke up around 6-6:15. I expected to need more sleep after not getting enough the night before. I'm almost to the point where I throw up my arms in "wtf I don't get it", but until then, I try logging this until I find a pattern!

Date: Freitag, Juli 6

Off day

Notes on sleep: The whole 6 hour thing mist have been a fluke because I got almost 8 hours last night but woke up like I normally would after not getting over 8: cranky, in pain, hard to wake.

Date: Samstag, Juli 7

Time: 8:45am - 9:30am

Today's Goals: just a quick jog around the block.

Today's workout: stretch for 20, jog for 20, stretch for 20

Warm-up: sun salutation, and made sure to stretch my ass because it still hurts from 2 days ago's workout!

Workout: just ran around the block once to say that I did it. I would have done more but I didn't have the time.

Supplements:

500mg MSM, or more

Several chlorella tablets

Post-Workout Meals:

1 banana

Astragalus, maybe a tablespoon

Alma + spirulina

HealthForce greens

Nordic Naturals Vegan DHA/EPA

Notes/Comments: My ass still hurt like a bitch, except much less than yesterday! Yesterday it felt like both cheeks got punched! I would have done more today but woke up too late. I bought some astragalus last night which will help me recover some bounce.

Notes on Sleep: slept for about 9 hours, woke up on my own & felt pretty good. Makes me sad to think 6 hours a night was a fluke: I don't want to sleep this much

Date: Montag, Juli 9

Time: 2hours?

Today's Goals: jog as long as I can, then do abs & butt workouts.

Today's workout: stretched, jogged, butt, abs, stretched.

Warm-up: Sun Salutation plus extra stretch in the calfs, & glutes.

Workout: Jogged for a good hour into the park. Did some sprints, backwards jogging, jumping, etc., during the jog. Came home and attempted to do the following butt & ab moves for 1 minute each:

Butt: deadlift, donkey kick L+R, leg extensions, flutter kicks, jumping lunges, chair, fire tyrant L+R, mountain climbers. Much easier this time round, but still much to go

Abs: Basic crunch, Oblique crunch L+R, bicycle crunch, reverse crunch, long arm crunch, cross over crunch, half curl, vertical leg crunch, plank.... Yea, I did about 5 maybe 10 of these, but there was no keeping up with the girl in the video on loop :P

Supplements:

Post-Workout Meals:

Vega chocolate protein shake

Notes/Comments: 6 hours of sleep is a myth! Fml.

Date: Dienstag, Juli 10

Time: 12pm - 2pm?

Today's Goals: get closer to hugging my thighs, jog to the end of the park and back, then workout legs and arms.

Today's workout: stretch, jog, arms, legs, stretch.

Warm-up: Sun Salutation, with extra Stretches for the calfs, thighs, arms, and butt. Getting closet to hugging thighs, back cracks when doing simple yoga poses, which is nice.

Workout: Dance/Jogged to the end of the park, as usual. Did some backwards, sideways, wide step, walking, running, etc. What ever the music told my muscles to do.

Arms: Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions L+R, Bent Over Row, Reverse Bridge Dips, Half Push-ups, High Side Plank L+R, Front Raises.

Legs: Side Leg Lift L+R, Side Left Kick L+R, Inner Thigh Raise L+R, Ham String Curls, Quad Lifts, Static Lung L+R.

Supplements:

Post-Workout Meals:

Vega chocolate sport protein.

Notes/Comments: didn't do many reverse bridge dips, but didn't cramp up last time. Legs are the easiest part of my body to workout.

Menstrual cramps should have been bad today, but they were kinda easy. Maybe working out helps, and maybe just like sleeping 6 hours, it was a fluke >.<

Date: Donnerstag, Juli 12

Time: a little over an hour.

Today's Goals: jog around the block, just enough to say you did it, considering the time constraint.

Today's workout: stretched, jogged, stretched.

Warm-up: sun salutation, calf, thigh, L+R side/back.

Workout: jogged around the block with Emmie.

Supplements:

Post-Workout Meals:

Notes/Comments: It wasn't a long jog, nor an eventful workout because I had very little time & not enough sleep.

Notes on Sleep: I thought staying alkaline before bed is what was helping me sleep less, but since that didn't work, maybe its because I was more alkaline all day? I will have to experiment!