Eurocup 2012

C.O.

So I posted about the racism issues going on but are any of you watching the Euro cup? Fans? Predictions?

I am a big Poland fan, I think they will at least get past the group stage. I predict Spain will win the cup. I also predict Russia will surprise some teams with some upsets.

-Dylan

I agree Russia is looking pretty good. Germany played pretty well against Portugal although I did want Portugal to win

England however did very well against France. Pity about the French equaliser but it was a cracking good shot. However we did very well on the whole, the team has a new vibe with Roy Hodgsen in charge.

As I am typing this I am watching Ukraine vs Sweden. 0:0 at the moment (40 mins into game) so I am finding it very difficult to keep my train of thought whilst watching at the same time. My wife is right men cannot multitask ( unless of course you consider drinking beer and watching the footie multitasking )

Forza Azzurri!

If Germany picks it up I think they will take the cup. They were not at their best against Portugal. If they really get at it I don't see a team that can hold them off

Italy surprised me, I'm an Italian fan but there was a lot of worry coming into the tournament. They held very well against Spain's attacks and were pretty dangerous on the counters and attacking third.

England played well but France outplayed them most of the match. England to me just didn't seem to have that sharp edge they usually have. Plus what was with putting Walcott in at stoppage, with his pace and talent he could have put a thrashing on the lacking French defense. They held on though and got the point so definitely a good outcome for them.

Oh and Ukraine is looking pretty good right now at the half, if they keep this up they will win this match(that is if they can get on target).

You've got to remember this is a new fresh England team with a new manager. Rooney is on suspension at the moment so we lack his flair but to hold against France like that shows promise.

I agree Germany should be better than that but this not the same team from the klinesman era.

Fair play to Ukraine what a superior second half and made this the game of the tournament so far.

I think with the way it went so far England can play Sweden with confidence, however they shouldn't underestimate the Ukraine.

You've got to remember this is a new fresh England team with a new manager. Rooney is on suspension at the moment so we lack his flair but to hold against France like that shows promise.

I think with the way it went so far England can play Sweden with confidence, however they shouldn't underestimate the Ukraine.

That's why I think a draw with France was a good outcome for them. Even though England has some new faces on the field and a new manager I would still think there's enough talented players on the squad to still hold that sharpness you usually get from them. I think in the upcoming match we will see it because nerves always play a factor in the first match of the tournament. I agree though they should have no problem putting Sweden away but Ukraine could definitely cause some problems. I figured France and England would come out of the group but Ukraine definitely has a good shot at the knock out stages as well.

Oh and Group A was completely boring and uninspiring today, group of death should make up for it tomorrow though.

I was very happy with how Poland played vs Russia. A draw and really they had some good chances at winning. I think they will beat Czech and move past the group stages.

I am very interested to see how Denmark does today. Was their win vs the Oranje a fluke or are they going to surprise everyone as the weakest team in the strongest group and make it to the next round?

Italy played well against Spain, I am happy because I am doing a bracket pool with friends and I have them getting to the final 4. However Croatia looked strong (not hard to look good vs Ireland) so Im curious as to how Italy and Spain match up vs Croatia. I still think Spain will take the cup. They couldn't get a 2nd one in for the win vs Italy but they still showed amazing movement and skill, and set up tons of chances, they just didn't capitalize. In the cup anyone can take it but I got my money on Spain.

I also have a single game bet on Portugal vs Oranje coming up later. That should be a good one to watch.

Go Polska!

Well Netherlands is hanging on by a thread. Who would have thought that? If they go out that knocks like 9 out of 20 people in my bracket out. Germany kinda fell apart for a bit towards the end though and almost let them equalize. I am still thinking Spain looks the strongest even after that draw with Italy. Sorry Croatia, I love you but I think Italy and Spain are both going to stomp you.

Dylan, yoou guessed wrong. Croatia was not stomped by Italy... Might have been vice versa. But, I am afraid of Spain... I think Germany and Spain will be in the final, hoping that Germany will win.... The ball is round, my friends...

Hi all,

Looks like Ireland are struggling again. Mind you I am only in 35 min at moment - so who knows? Maybe by some miracle Ireland will show some sheer inspiration- doubt it.

Dylan, might have been a fluke for the Danes - but wasn't it 92 when they didn't even qualify for the tournament but went through because of the expulsion of Yugoslavia (because of the war I believe). Then went on to win it!

Who knows with this competition what will happen it's a funny old game as saints and greavsie would say. I think England will do alright against Sweden tomorrow because they just have to gosh dang it!

Yes, Danes were champions because of the war in Yugoslavia. Sad but true. Yugoslavia won U-20 World Championship in Chile in 1987. Mijatović, Savičević, Šuker... When politics kills football, it makes me sick...

Italy became happy with defending and killed themselves. I would have liked to see Balotelli stay in, he definitely had a goal in him.

Spain looked good but I would still put my money on Germany taking the whole thing. Hopefully Spain wins against Croatia and Italy beats Ireland.

I don't see England losing to Sweden but its soccer so anything can happen. France and Ukraine should be interesting though.

I can't believe Greece beat Russia. More proof anything can happen in these tournaments. I really thought Poland would beat Czech but they played very flat. Not that Poland is out I am rooting for Ukraine but I think that Spain will win it. Today's Oranje vs Ronaldo match should be a great one.

Rooney snuck in there for a header goal. Was a solid game for England and they took 1st in their group.

Hahah Endcruelty, I like your comment very much! Ah polska fc why do you bring me so much disappointment? haha.

No games on today....boring.

Tomorrow a very big game to me, maybe not for most of you, Portugal vs Czech. I need Czech to win very badly.

-Dylan

So since I lost my pool even though I picked 3 out of 4 of the semi finalists and I will likely have picked first and 2nd (Spain 1st and Germany 2nd) I am going against my pool and making a silly bet, and taking Italy to beat Germany. Even though Germany's 2 best players are Polish I am not a fan of their team or their style of play.

What do you guys think Spain over Portugal no problem or will Spain mess up just as other have and not having enough coverage on Portugal's one star player?

Holy crap, are you guys still watching? I went to a German bar to watch the match vs Italy. Best game of the tournament! Buffon is the best goal keeper in the tournament as well. Just on his game, always in the right spot. The one that got past him was a penalty kick, can't fault him for someone else's hand ball. Spain better put a few in the net in regular time because if it goes to a shootout then my money is on Italy. I still think Spain will win though.

-Dylan

The cup final is today at 245pm EST. I can't wait. Italy vs Spain. Spain is the favorite and should win but they haven't really looked amazing and definitely not unstoppable. German looked like the team to beat and Italy took them out so this should be a great one. Predictions? I think 2-2 and Spain wins in the penalty shoot out.

Well Spain really turned it on and showed everyone why they are defending Euro champs, world cup winners and now euro champs again. That is a new record now to win 3 major titles back to back. They played the best football I have seen in the tournament. A pleasure to watch let's see if they can do it again in 2014 world cup - hope not, I would like to see England win it again.

Yeah, nightmare and dream at the same time, can't get rid of him or bench him, too much talent. The final was a little anti-climactic for me after watch a much more exciting Germany vs Italy match before. I ended up in 4th out of 20 in my pool which sucks I was so close, 1 point which is half of a 1st round score away from tieing for 2nd place and winning some cash. Damn Poland, they really cost me haha.

Okay well time to watch MLS and the Olympics for the rest of the summer. Look out for threads on the Olympics, or start one!

-Dylan

Yeh my wife had 40 quid on Italy winning it - frustrating

I will keep an eye on threads for the Olympics most defiantly as it is in my home country ( I am about 60 miles from London) and can get to St Pancreas station from Kettering or Euston from Northampton easily within an hour. I have not got tickets but may pop down to soak up the atmosphere. Big fan of running 200 meters was my best track event at school. But will be interested in seeing how the inclusion of footie as an event pans out - no David Beckham in team GB though....wtf?

AND.... USA didn't make the mens or even the womens soccer tournament this olympics....crappy, can't believe the women didnt make it what happened? I will be rooting for New Zealand because there goal keeper players for my favorite team Portland Timbers. It will probably be a Brazil and Spain massacre and then a brilliant final between the 2 of them. Can't wait for that match!