Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan's "Starting Over Again" Log
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:52 pm 
Elephant

VeganEssentials wrote:
pulled a muscle in my middle back from laughing too hard last night (of all things...)

This is clear evidence that you are out of laughing shape and should start an intensive program of dirty jokes and stand up comedy immediately. Pace yourself and remember, safety first: eat half an hour beforehand to avoid protein shake spit takes. :zunge:

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 am 
Stegosaurus

Baby Hercules wrote:
VeganEssentials wrote:
Milwaukee Battle at the Beach yesterday, great strongman comp and looking like it'll be a pro card qualifier next year

Did you mean to say that you'll be a contender? Sah-weet! And shame on you for not notifying me in advance of an event packed to bursting with a herd of big, hunky guys. I would've cleared my calendar. :wink:

Send pics of the 6'5" 350 pounder, please. :love10:

Baby Herc

Hey, Herc!

Not likely I'll be competing against these guys any time soon - many of them are people who have been at the top of the amateur field for years in a row, and I prefer that if I'm going to get stomped, it'll be by people a little closer to my level :) Not to mention, I'll likely be competing as a lightweight whenever I'm well enough to get back in the game (lightweight in strongman being a cap at 231 lbs.), but you never know how things will go!

I'll try to find the name of the guy who came in 2nd if they have results posted yet, he's the behemoth from New Mexico, probably only carries a bit more bodyfat than I do even though he outweighs me by 120 lbs. (which is uncommon for heavyweights, usually when they're in the mid 300s they're not the leanest!) :) There'll be more pics popping up this week, I'll see if I can make you happy with that :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 am 
Stegosaurus

Hey, VS!

For me, I found that the approach of doing reps as singles with a few seconds to catch breath between each was the fastest way for me to progress for adding more weight. When I was doing all sets from a dead hang on each rep, it was a LOT tougher, as I can't cut reps short of a full hang like some people do and I lose too much energy that saps me from doing the most good. What I recommend is to play around and first, see what you can max at for a single weighted pull-up. If, say, you find that it's 55 lbs. for your max single, then drop it to something like 25-30 lbs. added, doing 3x5 as one rep, let feet hit the floor, take 2 quick breaths, and repeat. There's always time to go back and work on the full hang endurance part later, but if you're looking to get that overall strength up, do what it takes to get there with the few breaths and quick deload between each one. The only time I end up going to failure is if I try for a PR, otherwise, worst case is that the last rep of the last set might be an inch shy of a full ROM, but you can always take a few extra breaths if you feel you need it between reps. It's an odd approach, but I swear by it, definitely what has worked for me.

Also, consider trying shrug-ups to strengthen the starting pull (they also hit the rear delts/rhomboids nicely if you feel tightness in that area), basically strap in (don't want to let grip interfere with these) as if you're about to do a set of torso width or wider pull-ups, and just do a 3-4" ROM upward lat shrug like you're starting a pull-up, but cut them REALLY short and hit some higher reps as a finisher. They'll kill your lats big-time and will work those starting stabilizer muscles nicely and could really loosen things up. If that doesn't do the trick, then cable face pulls would be my next suggestion, done knuckles-up, hands angled at about 45 degrees, pulling in close to eye level each rep. If you have a weak spot in the smaller musculature, those two things will quickly point it out and help you bring them up!

veggiesasquatch wrote:
VE,
    What advice do you have if any for weighted pull ups?
Currently I do 5x10 wide grips mon (I alter the width per set) & on a fri I usually hit hammers & chins.

My right shoulder at the back/arm pit/lat area has been tight lately & I'm I'm putting that down to the amount of pull/chins I do added with the boring but big benching, so my plan this cycle is to do like a shoulder, upper back day (like you advised in a thread recently) & leaving it at that for some recovery & because I'm reprogramming/starting over with a new 1rm's.

Is it worth doing one body weight set then add in a plate (it won't be anything heavy maybe a 12 lb plate) then have a set number I want to hit? Maybe like 4 sets 6 reps (after the bw set)? I don't like pushing to failure, like to have a plan:)

My idea was:

OHP 5/3/1
Pull ups
Dumbbell rowing (last set as a Kroc row) 3x10 1xkroc
Cable narrow rows 3x12
Maybe a side loadable/straight arm pull downs? 3x15 or will the weighted pull ups be enough work? If so maybe some shrugs to finish? I'm plannin to hit lats just once a week this cycle.

Cheers man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:31 am 
Elephant

VeganEssentials wrote:
Not likely I'll be competing against these guys any time soon - many of them are people who have been at the top of the amateur field for years in a row, and I prefer that if I'm going to get stomped, it'll be by people a little closer to my level :) Not to mention, I'll likely be competing as a lightweight whenever I'm well enough to get back in the game (lightweight in strongman being a cap at 231 lbs.), but you never know how things will go!

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened sooner than later. I better start practicing my wolf whistle and clapping.

VeganEssentials wrote:
I'll try to find the name of the guy who came in 2nd if they have results posted yet, he's the behemoth from New Mexico, probably only carries a bit more bodyfat than I do even though he outweighs me by 120 lbs. (which is uncommon for heavyweights, usually when they're in the mid 300s they're not the leanest!) :) There'll be more pics popping up this week, I'll see if I can make you happy with that :)

I take back everything I ever said about New Mexico. (Okay, except Los Alamos.)

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks for that great rePly mate!!! So basically dead hanging-pull up-return to dead hang-drop down-quick breath then go again....I do usually go from a dead hanging in my whole sets but I'll take your advice & try it this way first :) thanks again

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:48 pm 
Stegosaurus

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Thanks for that great rePly mate!!! So basically dead hanging-pull up-return to dead hang-drop down-quick breath then go again....I do usually go from a dead hanging in my whole sets but I'll take your advice & try it this way first :) thanks again

Yep, that's how I do the heavy weighted ones, VS! Otherwise, I end up expending a good portion of my energy just sitting in the hang catching my breath between reps, so I always do at least a one second deload and quick breath, then pull again from there!

Quick chest/deadlift session last night, temperatures here were 101 during the day, gym was still 86 degrees at night, had to make it quick so I wouldn't pass out!

Deadlifts -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 225
10x5 @ 305, about 60-80 seconds between sets, back is still feeling great, getting ready to change slightly. One more week of 10x5 to keep greasing the groove, then I add a bit more weight (will start at 335 or so), dropping sets to 5 and reps to 3 while slowly increasing for a month or two. Once I can pull in the 400s pain-free, I'll know I'm on the right track again.

Axle bench press -
1x5 @ 145 lbs.
1x3 @ 195
1x2 @ 235
1x1 @ 265
Put on Slingshot
1x1 @ 305
1x1 @ 325, had to really fight the lockout, lost a lot of energy, couldn't keep going heavy
1x5 @ 285
Decided to drop and do speed doubles, 10x2 @ 265 with the Slingshot, one minute rest between sets.

Reverse hypers -
2x25 @ 70 lbs.

DB Spoon Presses (palms-in DB press with DBs always touching from chest to lockout)
2x15 @ 75 lbs.

Called it a day after that, dripping with sweat and feeling woozy, will get in for some upper back work today or tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:00 pm 
Gorilla

That kinda heat would kill me...I bake due to my tattoo coverage:/ fair play for training in that, 86 at night >:|

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:44 pm 
Elephant

This sounds good. Im going to try this. thanks bro

VeganEssentials wrote:
Hey, VS!
Also, consider trying shrug-ups to strengthen the starting pull (they also hit the rear delts/rhomboids nicely if you feel tightness in that area), basically strap in (don't want to let grip interfere with these) as if you're about to do a set of torso width or wider pull-ups, and just do a 3-4" ROM upward lat shrug like you're starting a pull-up, but cut them REALLY short and hit some higher reps as a finisher. They'll kill your lats big-time and will work those starting stabilizer muscles nicely and could really loosen things up. If that doesn't do the trick, then cable face pulls would be my next suggestion, done knuckles-up, hands angled at about 45 degrees, pulling in close to eye level each rep. If you have a weak spot in the smaller musculature, those two things will quickly point it out and help you bring them up!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:39 pm 
Stegosaurus

Glad to help, Octo!

Quick session at a different gym last night, temperatures here were still in the high 80s with 90% humidity last night, no way to train at our facility unless I wanted to be found dead there the next day. Paid $15 to get a night pass at the place a mile away from us, even with the AC running high I was still sweating like crazy, but got through an hour's session before I had to hang it up.

Standing overhead strict press in the power rack -
1x10 @ empty bar
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x3 @ 185
1x1 @ 205
1x1 @ 225
3x8 @ 185

Weighted pull-ups -
1x5 @ bodyweight (238 clothed last night)
1x5 @ 45 lbs. added
3x5 @ 80 lbs. added, done as 3 reps with a split second deload (no usual 5 second break between reps), then would take 5 seconds between each of the last two reps to finish.

Seated shoulder press machine -
2x20 @ 170 lbs.

Seated row machine -
2x20 @ 250 lbs. full stack

1-arm DB clean and strict press, clean only once -
1x10 @ 95 lbs. each arm

Wide grip pulldowns -
1x20 @ 220 lbs.

Did 1x10 @ 55 lb. for DB hammer curls just before leaving just to do my usual one-set-per-month direct arm work and called it a day :D

Nothing crazy, just 65 minutes start to finish and wrapped up. Temperatures here still supposed to be around 100 degrees with high humidity for the next 5 days, definitely throwing a wrench into my usual training, but I have to manage to get back to squat and deadlift before Sunday. Will sneak back into the gym as soon as the heat breaks, don't care if it's at midnight, I'll be there as soon as I can train without passing out!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:06 pm 
Elephant

Geez, Ryan, that heat sucks. I have relatives in Iowa and they are staying huddled inside with central air unless they have to venture out for food. :shock: Not having AC in the gym is not as bad as having it and not being able to use it, though. In Denver, the last place I lifted had a harpy of a manager who didn't think the weight room or basketball court needed cooling down at temperatures below 88 degrees, equal humidity. She never exercised, herself, and everyone hated her. I recently learned that she finally retired--I'm sure they threw a party but I doubt she comprehended exactly WHAT they were celebrating. :wink:

Hang in there, autumn is only three months away.

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:51 pm 
Stegosaurus

Baby Hercules wrote:
Geez, Ryan, that heat sucks. I have relatives in Iowa and they are staying huddled inside with central air unless they have to venture out for food. :shock: Not having AC in the gym is not as bad as having it and not being able to use it, though. In Denver, the last place I lifted had a harpy of a manager who didn't think the weight room or basketball court needed cooling down at temperatures below 88 degrees, equal humidity. She never exercised, herself, and everyone hated her. I recently learned that she finally retired--I'm sure they threw a party but I doubt she comprehended exactly WHAT they were celebrating. :wink:

Hang in there, autumn is only three months away.

Baby Herc

Yeah, Herc, this weather is truly something fierce this summer - I thought last year was bad, but this one's off to an even worse start. Basically, as our facility is in an industrial warehouse, we don't have the option for AC in it, which must be really, really tough for the clients training during the day right now. Even though they can go outside any time between sets (or, are being trained outdoors), it's no improvement when you've got that blazing hot sun coming down on you! The fans we have don't help for squat with the high humidity, so we're just keeping our fingers crossed that next week will be better. They're finally predicting a slide down into the 80s again for daytime temps, but we've been hearing that one for a while, so I'll believe it when I see it. Just like all the predictions for rain that never came true, except for one 30 minute shower this morning that won't change the fact that my lawn looks more like color of the Sahara desert than anything resembling grass :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 pm 
Elephant

Just a random brainstorm but what about checking craigslist for a portable carport or one of those tents without sides? You could produce some shade, at least. Another idea that no one will argue with is to keep a bunch of kid's water pistols charged and ready outside. Squirtgun smackdowns every hour on the hour? Water balloon fights? Hand held plant misters? Or, hell, you could go all ancient-Greece-Olympian and work out completely naked. Of course, if you do, you MUST post photos...

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:34 pm 
Stegosaurus

Hey, Herc!

We have plenty of shade as people go between the indoor and outoor areas frequently (not to mention, we have lots of fans set up and plenty of cold bottled water for everyone), I'm just pitching for that the next place we get, there's actually a shower area for once. Nothing would be better than being able to actually clean up immediately after training with a cool shower, MUCH better than having to drive home first!

Couldn't train this week much due to heat. 6 days in a row of 100+ temps, even hitting 112 here one day, completely out of line for usual summer heat in Wisconsin, but nothing we could do except sit around waiting for it to break. Finally dropped to the high 80s yesterday, which was not exactly "cool", but better than 100s, so I went in late to train for a quick bit, lower back and chest day -

Flat bench w/ axle -
1x5 @ 145 lbs.
1x3 @ 195
1x2 @ 225
1x1 @ 265
Put on Slingshot
3x3 @ 300
3x5 @ 285
Wasn't feeling too strong today, heat was still sapping my energy. Not to mention, outdoor temps at 11 PM were only 75, inside the gym was still 84 and humid, not fun at all.

Deadlifts -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 225
10x5 @ 315, next week changes things up, lower sets/reps with more weight to try and get some actual strength back

Incline close-grip bench press -
1x5 @ 185, 2 second pause on chest each rep
2x15 @ 135, no pause

Weighted hyperextensions -
2x20 w/ 35 lb. short bar behind neck

Dips, first time in ages, found that someone brought in a new dip station with both angled and straight handles, so gave it a go -
2x15 @ bodyweight (down to 231 lbs. as of morning weigh-in)

Reverse hyperextensions -
2x25 @ 75 lbs.

Changing up the lower back work before long - next plan is doubles for deadlifts starting with 335, working to add 10 lbs. each week until I get close to 400. Want to be able to hit 405 easy and pain-free again by fall, then it's working back toward 500 injury-free.

Should be getting some leg work in tomorrow, otherwise will be doing back work if lower body is still a bit worn out!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Enjoy that cooler weather.

Enjoy getting back into the swing of things!

Keep after it.

Have an awesome time!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:37 pm 
Elephant

VeganEssentials wrote:
Finally dropped to the high 80s yesterday

Glad to hear it cooled down a bit. Employee photos would have been nice, though. :wink:

Baby Herc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 89  Next