Im Vegan and Gluten-Free

Its crazy. Ive been vegan for almost 5 years now and never knew Id be cutting out everything that has gluten in it. I didnt care much for bread this whole time but from time-to-time id like pita pockets, chips, etc as a treat. It wasnt until late last year where I starting having increased facial skin issues to the extreme. I even wanted to "claw" my skin off it itched,burned, and hurt so bad. When I cut out everything that had gluten in it, it miraculously went away about 90% in 4-5 days. I was impressed. I dont miss it much, but Id be damned if a lot of items in the store arent cross contaminated(procced stuff).

Even things that said "gluten-free" ive had a reaction to within minutes, so therefore I know they have some traces of gluten.

Im happier without all the wheat and gluten in my diet. My energy is much higher, my bodyfat is much lower, and I dont have the food cravings I used to when eating all that. Hell, I even have a reaction to NO Xplode and a lot of preworkout energizers have gluten in them(research, research, research). Vega Sport pre-workout doesnt and I havent had any severe reactions with that. My skin may feel a slight itchy when using two scoops instead of one, but no full blown redness.

Anyway, I havent been on here much due to school and trying to finish so I can graduate, but I plan to be around more this summer. Thought Id give an update on Me.

~jimi

Thanks for the update, Jimi.

I've heard a number of stories about people benefiting from removing gluten from their diet, including rather dramatic cases of improvement. I hear this from people I know, people I've met and of course read about it online.

I'm thinking of giving it a shot too. I did try soy and gluten-free for a full 90 days a couple of years ago. It was a bit tough at first. I ended up eating a lot of fruit, Vega products, and avocado rolls

Perhaps I noticed slightly less gas and bloating but I was hungry all the time, since I ate mostly low calorie foods. I wasn't eating a lot potatoes, yams, beans, lentils, etc. that I eat these days. It was when I was living in LA and I just ate quick foods and worked all the time.'

I'll likely give it a shot again soon.

No worries about being away for a while. I was away for about a year or more as well and came back last winter to run the online fitness challenge.

It is nice to be back and I've connected with a lot of new people.

All the best! See you around.

That sounds tough, but probably people who don't eat gluten are healthier in the end than the rest of us.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to consult a doctor just to make sure it is not celiacs disease.

It doesn't look like I have a problem with Gluten.

But I was actually thinking of trying it. Maybe it could help me burn that last fat I have to expose a six pack.

Question is how do you get enough Calories/Protein. I already don't eat any junk food, not too much Tofu and I don't use Protein supplements. If I cut the Gluten aswell that's seems to narrow the stuff I can eat even more. Also it seems like it will take even more time for preparing the food.

• 1 month later...

Stcalico- It doesnt upset my stomach. With Celiac's disease you get very intense pains in your stomach and it can even lead to death(from what i hear). I had a client who had celiac's and she didnt have any skin problems just gut problems. Thanks for the concern.

Alex- It hard to get the cals/protein. I do eat tofu, tempeh now, and brown rice protein shakes. AND IT WILL help you shed that fat quickly. When my wife decided she wouldn't eat gluten (because of my allergy)she saw like 11lbs disappear in a couple weeks. Shes awesome. Dont get me wrong I do miss my pita pockets, pita chips, and other things wheat related.

UPDATE: Besides gluten I cannot have potato starch nor hot peppers. All 3 items flare my skin reaction. Almost all the premixed gluen-free baking mixes all have potato starch in them as one of the top 3 ingredients. Sucks, but yet again, keeps me leaner.