Hi from Seattle

rusty

Hi all. I'm 36 and have been on a vegan diet for almost a month. I have always had high cholesterol and after seeing my doctor every 6 months tracking my numbers, he finally wanted to put me on a drug to lower it. Since I hadn't really given it any effort, I told him give me 3-6 months and let me see what I can do.

That led me to cutting back on meat and starting to exercise 2-3 times a week, and after reading the books by Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. Ornish and seeing some of the amazing success stories, I went vegan. I also started lifting weights and really felt amazing after, so I've started reading more and more about fitness and bodybuilding and that has led me here.

I've been doing a basic dumbbell and body weight program for the past two weeks ala Body for Life, lifting Mon-Wed-Fri and alternating upper and lower, with HIIT elliptical cardio on Tue-Thurs-Fri for 30-45 min. So far I've lost 15 lbs from almost 200 to 185 (I'm 6'1) and am starting to notice real improvements. Importantly, I feel amazing -- better now than I've felt since high school!

Goal right now is to keep getting fit, stick with my newbie program for 12 weeks, and shock the hell out of my doctor when he sees my blood workup in September. Will then figure out what to do next. So far I am really enjoying the challenge and progress from weight training.

Russ

Welcome Russ, you'll find that the site really has such a diverse group that they can meet you where you are and take you to that next step. I am horribly new to training and only a year into veganism, so my knowledge base is very limited. There are thousands that have been there tho to help answer questions and point in the right direction. Great on going Vegan, it's a HUGE step in your health.

Welcome Russ. Congrats on your successes so far. Only one month!.. well then, looking forward to see what you can accomplish in one year.

I'm not too far away from you up in Vancouver B.C. Been wanting to go to Seattle some day for shopping and heading out to the Centennial Trail there for inline skating - 35 miles!.. whoohoo sounds like fun.

Goal right now is to...shock the hell out of my doctor when he sees my blood workup in September.

Give 'im hell, Russ! Then tell him you will no longer be needing his services. He'll end up asking YOU for advice. Ignore him when he says there's not enough evidence of this, that, and the other. YOU'RE the evidence.

(Insert Rocky theme here)

Baby Herc

Welcome Russ! Seattle is a great place to live as far as places with vegitarian/vegan foods in abundance. If you would like suggestions on restaurants shoot me a line and I'll send you some.

-Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

I replied back a while ago and just saw I replied back to the wrong thread...ooops here you go:

Caravan of Dreams is good, I 2nd that. Also Here are some other restaurants in seattle that I love. Some of them are specifically vegetarian/vegan others have great options and/or you may have to ask them to leave out or swap an ingredient or 2.

Portage Bay: breakfast food with all you can eat toppings bar, tons of different fruit you can add to pancakes or waffles or eat as a side.

Cafe Flora: vegetarian specific, lots of good stuff here.

Plum Bistro: very healthy place.

Marination mobile: voted best food truck in the US 2 different years. I agree with it. Its Korean-mexican fusion. Many of their dishes have a tofu option.

Golden Singha: My favorite Thai place in Seattle and lots of their dishes have tofu options.

Happy eating,

-Dylan