Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bulking phase
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:38 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

VeganEssentials wrote:
But, 99% of the time, I'd rather have the gym to myself, turn up the music, and take care of things without seeing another human being for the 90 minutes I'm there.

x 2. Well said, I completely agree with you and VS.

Training with others just frustrates the shit out of me for the most-part.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:44 am 
Gorilla

SO I had a few drinks last night & the sweet was pissing out of me....

Cycle 6 week 4 (deload)

Squats/standing hamstring curls

Bench press/Incline bench press (test for new cycle)
dumbbell rows/dips

Summary:

So a easy session, this marks a reprogram & new plan for next week

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:45 am 
Gorilla

So this last deload means now I'm going to go with a full reprogram on bench,ohp & squats. Deadlift's I cannot program using 5/3/1 due to the current problems I'am having.

I have lately been feeling general achy all the time, also a few to many minor niggles so time to be prudent. My promotion means I'am incredibly busy & on my feet for 12 hours, not taking into account the 5 mile round walk there & back. I have been feeling very tired of late & on days off/day shifts I'm pretty much dead come 21:30...my other half recently had a night away & I thought "great all night xbox-sesh" come 22:00 I was tucked up in bed.

I have been mulling over going to a Mon/Wed/Fri split...mainly due to how my program lines up with work. My rota is over four weeks, like 5/3/1's cycle so it matches well in that respect (I use deload on my shit week at work which is Mon/Tue/Wed night shifts & Sat/Sun days) but in others its a mare, eg:

When I work a day shift this is 7:00-19:00, if it's a lifting day I wake up at 5:00 eat,pack food & gear then walk. Work my shift then head to the gym, get home 20:15-20:40, prep food & eat a post meal. Sleep by 23:30 usually then repeat. 

If its night shifts & I lift it can be more difficult, like having to get up so I can train, shower at the gym then goto work. 

As I cannot program deads my "idea" right now is as follows:

Monday:
OHP 5/3/1
Pull ups
Dumbbell rows (last set as a Kroc row)
Cable narrow row or face pulls
Shrugs 

My thinking here is to hit shoulders/upper back & leave it alone for a week. I'm going to reduce my pull ups during the first cycle to allow my lat to settle down. So just the 5x10 once a week instead of 5x10 twice.

Wed:
Deadlift (light so is used as a pre squat warm up)
Squats 5/3/1 (straight into working sets)
Front squats programmed
Standing hamstring curls

Here is my only lower day of the week. Going in just to deadlift light just seemed rather...well I don't want to say pointless but more that I could be 1)more prudent & 2)allowing more recovery for my lower back. So this is my thinking 

Fri:
Bench 5/3/1
Incline bench programmed 
Push ups
Dips (only BW)
Tricep push downs

Again here just target the chest/triceps & then leave alone for a week.

So that's my plan for lifting; taking out the boring but big work will hopefully allow me to let a few niggles settle over the new cycle, as the works going to be pretty easy. This should allow & I say should allow me to do some running again. As I pointed out my work shifts, lifting four days a week squeezing in conditioning wasn't going to happen so....I'm planning on manning the fuck up & dragging my ass out to run two miles/two days a week. I use to run six mile three times a week just for the hell of it!

Sorry I have waffled on, needed to get this out my head so I could read my thoughts. So anyone who usually checks my log, apologies (I'm looking at you mini) for this!

Also if  anyone can see something I can't please say so:)

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:58 pm 
Gorilla

I can't really say much to the programming, as I'm pretty new to 5/3/1. However, I am doing the 3/week version as it works out better for me time-wise. My work shifts aren't as long as yours but I lift on my lunch break so I don't get any breaks on those days. I'm pretty sure I would have burnt out long ago if I was lifting 4 days a week. I would say give it a go for a couple cycles and see how it goes, so your "idea" looks pretty good to me. Good luck!

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:40 am 
Gorilla

asparagus wrote:
I can't really say much to the programming, as I'm pretty new to 5/3/1. However, I am doing the 3/week version as it works out better for me time-wise. My work shifts aren't as long as yours but I lift on my lunch break so I don't get any breaks on those days. I'm pretty sure I would have burnt out long ago if I was lifting 4 days a week. I would say give it a go for a couple cycles and see how it goes, so your "idea" looks pretty good to me. Good luck!

asparagus wrote:
I can't really say much to the programming, as I'm pretty new to 5/3/1.  However, I am doing the 3/week version as it works out better for me time-wise.  My work shifts aren't as long as yours but I lift on my lunch break so I don't get any breaks on those days.  I'm pretty sure I would have burnt out long ago if I was lifting 4 days a week.  I would say give it a go for a couple cycles and see how it goes, so your "idea" looks pretty good to me.  Good luck!

Thanks for that!

Glad my reasoning made sense to someone, that's one of the reasons i blogged this.
I'm not usually one to have "body area to hit day", obviously  I follow how Wendler lays out the work ( I added in a couple
of things that I needed to work on) but for this cycle targeting; say upper back/shoulders then leaving that area alone for a week will help my arm/lat to settle.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:17 am 
Gorilla

So here we go, lifts re-programmed & starting from scratch! I have taken the decision to use 85% of my one rep max, not 90% as to allow more room for progression, Though my one rep max on all lifts being heavier at 85% than the full 90% six months ago :boxer: :boxer: :boxer:

Pre workout meal:

1 cup oats with rice milk (I like it hope the supermarket keeps it at £1)
4 boiled eggs
Glass strawberry & banana smoothie
5 grams bcaa before training

Today's workout I listened to

Mon-2nd-July Cycle 1 Week 1 (3x5)

Main lift

Over head press: (all 5 reps) 20kg 25kg 30kg 32,5kg 37.5kg 42.5kg

Assistance

Close grip bench (programmed 3x10): 35kg 42.5kg 50kg

Pull/chin ups: 1x10 bodyweight wide grip...2x6 wide grip +5kg plate 1x6 chin up +5kg plate 1x6 hammer grip +5kg plate

Dumbbell rows (3x10) 36kg 34kg 32kg...26kg as a Kroc row 15 reps per arm (goal 25)

Cable rows: 3x10 various weights

Abs: side bends with 20kg plate x35 reps per side, hammer strength crunch frame with 15kg loaded 35 reps, hanging knee raises 30 reps

Post workout meal:

x2 scoop protein/5grams of bcaa-glutamine-creatine
Grabbed a subway on way home

Summary:

The work was, as expected pretty easy on the OHP & close grip. Pull ups, weighted felt great. Managed to dead hang every set besides the second wide grips where I use Veganessentials advice, 1 rep-return to dead hang-take a second or two then go again.
Hope my appetite kicks back in, always drops off on the deload week so I was pretty tired after this.

Going to really tighted up my diet from today...plenty of good food in large amounts. Taking some inspiration from the plans on the front page.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:51 am 

Good price on the rice milk, bargain mate.

Hey I thought you might be interested to hear that one of my mates got 4th place at the Bro's V Pro's PL'ing bash at Poundstones gym this weekend just gone. He pulled a crazy 405 for 25 reps, pretty insane as I've been following his training leading up to it and he certainly works his arse off. Poundstone reportedly pulled 850 for a strong single.

Hope you had a good weekend and props to you on the weighted pullups. Bloody hard exercise, they're like weights and cardio rolled into one haha. Take care MF.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:24 am 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Good price on the rice milk, bargain mate.

Hey I thought you might be interested to hear that one of my mates got 4th place at the Bro's V Pro's PL'ing bash at Poundstones gym this weekend just gone. He pulled a crazy 405 for 25 reps, pretty insane as I've been following his training leading up to it and he certainly works his arse off. Poundstone reportedly pulled 850 for a strong single.

Hope you had a good weekend and props to you on the weighted pullups. Bloody hard exercise, they're like weights and cardio rolled into one haha. Take care MF.

Badass mini....thats very impressive indeed!!!

My pal who trains for the under 105kg chomps pulled 190kg for 25 reps once, all full dead stops. This was after doing multiple singles, doubles of various weights. He did 180kg for 5x10 the other week for his version of cardio hahaha that was squats after heavier work

Just mapped out a 2 mile run ;) shall update after I'm back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:08 pm 

There you go, can you believe he was really bummed out and disappointed with that ?!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:48 am 
Gorilla

Went for a 2 mile run Tuesday evening pretty good though I'm way off where I was...stamina wise this time last year, which is to be expected.

This effected my lower day, pretty short sighted of me really, thought the 2 miles wouldn't hinder me much. Wrong.

Cycle 1 week 1 (3x5)

Main lift:

Deadlift: These were used as a pre squat warm up as I'm not programming them, all 5 reps 60kg 70kg 80kg 100kg x2

Squats: 82.5kg 95kg 107.5kg

Assistance:

Front squats: 50kg x10 60kg x10 70kg x10

I should of done some hamstring curls/reverse hypers but couldn't be fucked.

Summary:

Awful session, packed up twice & had to tell myself to man up. The run the day before was badly timed, Even the 95kg on squats felt heavy which was fucking awful...Crap & was hating every second of it!

So today I did something other than 5/3/1........WTF :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :psycho: :psycho: :psycho: :zwangsjacke: :zwangsjacke: :zwangsjacke:

Basically lately I have slowly become less & less motivated to train. Maybe the aches have gotten the better of me. The new role at work leaving me very tired as well. Boredom? Can't put my finger on it right now so I thought I'd give this a shot today
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marine- ... e-gym.html

1) It's Matt 'Kroc' Kroczaleski 2) The man who invented Kroc rows 3) Jim Wendler is a fan/friend so that's good enough for me. I like the style of the progression on the main lifts but there is a lot of assistance which, I'm not a huge fan of. But it was still worth trying for one session. I left out the dumbbell pressing,Don't like them & the close grip (did these Monday)

Main lift

Bench press: couple of warm up sets then 65kg 5x10 (as shown in the progression chart working off 60% of 1rm)

Assistance

Incline bench: 50kg 2x8 40kg 1x8

Cable flyes (decline version): 3x10

Tricep push downs: 3x10

Tricep cable kick backs (dumbbell feel awkward for me): 3x20

Summary:

Was nice to do something different, I will admit. The program as a whole has a lot of volume. Can see why it is meant to be for advanced lifters. Right now I'm unsure as what I should do. I may use this, I may use 5/3/1 & add in some of the ideas, like rotating assistance each week.

What I do know is that I need to cut down on barbell work, for a while. Things to mull over for a few days before Monday hits.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:38 pm 

Sory mate, I was lol'ing reading about your leg session. Mine was exactly the same a day or two ago, you do come up against them every now and then but despite being shit at the time I think we can still triggerr some response from them. How long did your 2 mile run take you?

I thought I'd repost this in your jounal as you might find parts of interesting, just explaining my rationale for why adding in a light bench session ever now and then could be a good thing:

IMO, light bench days also help to open up the chest (opposite of the cumulative effect of heavier benching). I see this as beneficial in terms of strength/muscle development because muscle strength has a direct correlation with the cross directional size of the muscle. Light stretching/benching will help to open up the pectoralis major as well as offering needed relief on the tendons. While your bench continues to increase, the natural increases in muscle mass occur but your tendons progress at a much slower rate; this can become problematic as the vulnerability of the tendons become a higher risk factor due to the misalignment of collagen fibrils. Tendons become completely secondary to muscles in terms of strength and I can see how some physio's today think that this 'light benching' work offers some conditioning to the tendons that it otherwise wouldn't get, allowing for a little more 'proportionate' growth as well as possibly slightly reducing injury risk.

Have a great weekend, you training or have anything planned?

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:11 pm 
Gorilla

Plan right now is to goto the eye hospital after work...bad times 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:15 pm 
Elephant

what happene

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:59 am 

Shit bro, not good. What happened?

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:25 am 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Shit bro, not good. What happened?

jungleinthefrunk wrote:
what happene

Sat having a break early hrs of Friday morning, the air#con kicked in & must of blew something into my eye. Was immediately irritated, sore & scratchy. Put up with it but got worse, Am ok been checked out. Thanks for asking :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next