Mythil's training record, finally

Current Body weight: 168lbs (Old Weight: 165lbs)

Height: 5'11 (But I like saying 6, makes me sound taller)

Hair: Receding

Monday:

Squat: 5x5

Stiff Leg Deadlift: 5x5

Weighted “Step Up”: 5x5

Hanging Knee Lift: 5x15 (Or Max)

30 Minute Jog

Tuesday:

Bench Press: 5x5

Incline Bench: 5x5

Close Grip Bench: 5x5

Dips: 5x15

30 Minute Light Jog

Thursday:

Wide Grip Pull up: 5x15

Close Grip Chin up: 5x15

Bent Rows: 5x5

Cable Rows: 5x5

30 Minute Light Jog

Friday:

Military Press: 5x5

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 5x5

Shrugs: 5x10

Upright Rows: 5x5

Side Planks: 5x15 (or max)

30 Minute Light Jog

I decided to also measure parts of my body to keep a comparison of how far I've come. All of it's in inches

Arms (All around the upper arm)

Right: 12 1/2

Left: 12

Chest: 40 1/2

Waist: 36 (I made an oopsy and put 28.. I wish )

Thighs:

Right: 19

Left: 18 1/2

Calves:

Right: 15 1/2

Left: 14

Edited by mythil

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice little routine...no nonsense & to the point

Thanks, though it will change as I fiddle with it and see what I want to take away or add.

I must also make the big point that I'm not a strength specific lifter, strongman, powerlifter or any of the terms or variations (as of yet, who knows in ten years I may want to be). I'm all about speed in my sport so I don't need the "big guns" I just want to look good and be fitter than I already am. Guess I'm more on the body builder side but more a.. Welterweight *chuckles*

Whew, end of the week, training for my new job is nearly done and I've settled into a nice routine of gym before and after that. I've had to fiddle with my eating plan to fit my work training but it's coming together. Btw, does anyone else wake up in the morning SUPER hungry?

Also, forgot my grip gloves today so I thought "screw it I'm not going back".. So today I've developed instant calluses. Yay..

Okay so I've changed a few things up here and there to see if it suits me, if it doesn't, well it can always be changed around again.

I've kept the four big lifts to 90% of the weight I can do and then taken a third of the weight to work on higher reps. Tried it today and my legs were aching for a while but returned to normal pretty quickly after, though my legs have always been better than anything else.

Well it's a bit of a misnomer as I've been training for quite a while but not for strength or muscle. My goal? To look good and just do everything for me. I'm not a power lifter and my sport doesn't really need big muscles, so it's all for me! How selfish

No, how awesome! You're doin' it right. Life is supposed to be fun.

Baby Herc

Nice training - I like your idea of using 1/3 of a 90% of max lift for your higher rep stuff. How's that working out?

I have always seemed to get the best results from cycling my poundages on a weekly basis but I realise verybody is different. Keep up the good work MF.

Well it's only been about a week doing it so I couldn't tell you if there are any physical results yet, however it has had some effect, my muscles are worn out by the time I leave the gym but recover pretty fast so I'm not as tired as I used to be for the next gym visit.

I started doing that in the hope that I wouldn't be tired by Saturday when I have Kendo training.

Well today was a learning experience.

On the plus side my deadlift has gone up to 80kg, though I've realized that I've become a grunter, heh..

Something else that needs tweaks, the 30% thing. I found that my main lifts are quite heavy and 30% of that is still quite heavy, a bit too heavy to get to 20 reps let alone past that.

So I've decided to take the weight down to 10%.. A little light you may think though it means I can actually do the plan of 20-30 reps, it gets pretty hard around the mid 20's.

Well today was good, added another 5kg to my squat.

More tweaking though, I found that taking 10% of my max lift can be a bit too light, 30% is a bit too heavy on some of them. I've fiddled with a few things and I came up with something simple, it looks complex but isn't really.

Going to look at low weight and higher weight, see what works for me.

Something else that needs tweaks, the 30% thing. I found that my main lifts are quite heavy and 30% of that is still quite heavy, a bit too heavy to get to 20 reps let alone past that.

So I've decided to take the weight down to 10%.. A little light you may think though it means I can actually do the plan of 20-30 reps, it gets pretty hard around the mid 20's.

But you won't be using heavy weight at all if you're looking at doing 20-30 reps?

What are your goals that you want to achieve from your training plan mate, anything else apart from looking and feeling better like you said a few posts above this one? There are elements of it that don't make any sense to me ~ no offense intended at all btw! Feel free to take a look at my journal, it's pretty detailed on the training side of things and might give you a few ideas (possibly). Thanks, and feel free to yell out of you need anything MF.

But you won't be using heavy weight at all if you're looking at doing 20-30 reps?

What are your goals that you want to achieve from your training plan mate, anything else apart from looking and feeling better like you said a few posts above this one? There are elements of it that don't make any sense to me ~ no offense intended at all btw! Feel free to take a look at my journal, it's pretty detailed on the training side of things and might give you a few ideas (possibly). Thanks, and feel free to yell out of you need anything MF.

Just building muscle mate, that's about it. Just looking good really. I had a look around and I took the high rep sets out because I don't really need them to build endurance right now. Training for my sport I tend to do a lot of swings with the sword that ends up being high rep sets with a weighted sword. I found I was doing far too much of that so I could end up just using the sword training for endurance.

I switched it to 4 main compound lifts a week using 90% of my one rep max on a 4x5 then all the other work is done at 70% of my one rep using 3x10 to build muscle. Hoping to build muscle but keep a bit of strength too.

I'm still a bit new to weight lifting for muscle instead of general "keeping fit" so I think there will be quite a few tweaks before I get it right Though all advice will be welcome

Okay today was fine using a more traditional 3x10 at 75% and 4x5 at 90% on the one big lift. The biggest annoyance are the DB lifts as I can't do 75% of my one rep from the main lift on one arm so I end up halving that for the DB so it's split between the two. This may end up being different for things like DB rows.

I should also look into doing more cardio and planning when I'm going to cut any excess fat I put on.

As soon as I'm hitting things that has me doing 10+reps I don't really care what I'm lifting, as in; I'll do one set then see how I feel.

It doesn't really matter what you lift on 3,4 or 5 sets of something you're repping 10+ times. As long as it's going to challenge you....Just build some muscle, get a pump on & dump the weight.

Let the main lift stress the mind, muscle & joints, let the higher rep work stress the muscle. Your body as no clue what it is you're lifting when you isolate.

If you're looking for strength with some bodybuilding, simple heavy work for a main lift as you have shown followed by 4 assistance movements, ranging with 4-5 reps & 10-15 reps.

As soon as I'm hitting things that has me doing 10+reps I don't really care what I'm lifting, as in; I'll do one set then see how I feel.

It doesn't really matter what you lift on 3,4 or 5 sets of something you're repping 10+ times. As long as it's going to challenge you....Just build some muscle, get a pump on & dump the weight.

Let the main lift stress the mind, muscle & joints, let the higher rep work stress the muscle. Your body as no clue what it is you're lifting when you isolate.

If you're looking for strength with some bodybuilding, simple heavy work for a main lift as you have shown followed by 4 assistance movements, ranging with 4-5 reps & 10-15 reps.

When you say 4-5 reps and 10-15 reps, do you mean alternating them or doing either or?

As you see what I'm doing now is

Main lift: 4x5 heavy (90%)

Lift 1

Lift 2

Lift 3 - All at 3x10 (70%)

Yes so it doesn't really matter, long as its working you.

Though it's completely different when using, like borig but big as assistance

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-and-bodybuilding/

Bookmarked that page.

I did want to do 5/3/1 but I don't think I was advanced enough for it so doing 4x5 until I can work my way up. I didn't quite understand the part of the book where he talks about splitting 1 rep max percentages on the 5/3/1 lift.

Easy way to explain....

Let's say your 1 rep max on squats is a 100kg (easy number) 90% of that being 90kg, this now is your current max. Now you will work off of 90% (90kg) for your first cycle, so week one would be 65% 75% 85% of that 90%. So working sets for squats would be (I'm rounding here) 57.5kg(65%)-70kg(75%-77.5kg (85%).

After the deload week you will add 5kg to that 90kg, now your max is 95kg & you work with the percentages over the weeks. Complete cycle 2, cycle 3 your max will now be 100kg.

2.5 (5lb) added to bench/over head press & 5kg (10lb) to deads & squats.