Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mythil's training record, finally
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:59 pm 
Gorilla

As soon as I'm hitting things that has me doing 10+reps I don't really care what I'm lifting, as in; I'll do one set then see how I feel.
It doesn't really matter what you lift on 3,4 or 5 sets of something you're repping 10+ times. As long as it's going to challenge you....Just build some muscle, get a pump on & dump the weight.

Let the main lift stress the mind, muscle & joints, let the higher rep work stress the muscle. Your body as no clue what it is you're lifting when you isolate.

If you're looking for strength with some bodybuilding, simple heavy work for a main lift as you have shown followed by 4 assistance movements, ranging with 4-5 reps & 10-15 reps.

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:17 pm 
Manatee

veggiesasquatch wrote:
As soon as I'm hitting things that has me doing 10+reps I don't really care what I'm lifting, as in; I'll do one set then see how I feel.
It doesn't really matter what you lift on 3,4 or 5 sets of something you're repping 10+ times. As long as it's going to challenge you....Just build some muscle, get a pump on & dump the weight.

Let the main lift stress the mind, muscle & joints, let the higher rep work stress the muscle. Your body as no clue what it is you're lifting when you isolate.

If you're looking for strength with some bodybuilding, simple heavy work for a main lift as you have shown followed by 4 assistance movements, ranging with 4-5 reps & 10-15 reps.

When you say 4-5 reps and 10-15 reps, do you mean alternating them or doing either or?

As you see what I'm doing now is
Main lift: 4x5 heavy (90%)
Lift 1
Lift 2
Lift 3 - All at 3x10 (70%)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm 
Gorilla

3-5 sets sorry

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:34 pm 
Manatee

veggiesasquatch wrote:
3-5 sets sorry

Ah so you meant 3-5 sets of 10-15 reps? That's almost what I do already :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:47 pm 
Gorilla

Yes so it doesn't really matter, long as its working you.

Though it's completely different when using, like borig but big as assistance

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-and-bodybuilding/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 pm 
Manatee

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Yes so it doesn't really matter, long as its working you.

Though it's completely different when using, like borig but big as assistance

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-and-bodybuilding/

Bookmarked that page.

I did want to do 5/3/1 but I don't think I was advanced enough for it so doing 4x5 until I can work my way up. I didn't quite understand the part of the book where he talks about splitting 1 rep max percentages on the 5/3/1 lift.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:02 pm 
Gorilla

As in...you take 90% of your 1rm? Then the percentages over the weeks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:05 pm 
Manatee

veggiesasquatch wrote:
As in...you take 90% of your 1rm? Then the percentages over the weeks

So you're always working off of your 90% max?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:53 pm 
Gorilla

Easy way to explain....

Let's say your 1 rep max on squats is a 100kg (easy number) 90% of that being 90kg, this now is your current max. Now you will work off of 90% (90kg) for your first cycle, so week one would be 65% 75% 85% of that 90%. So working sets for squats would be (I'm rounding here) 57.5kg(65%)-70kg(75%-77.5kg (85%).

After the deload week you will add 5kg to that 90kg, now your max is 95kg & you work with the percentages over the weeks. Complete cycle 2, cycle 3 your max will now be 100kg.

2.5 (5lb) added to bench/over head press & 5kg (10lb) to deads & squats.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:00 pm 
Gorilla

Obviously over the course of a cycle the percentages rise on your sets (your max isn't increased just the percentages on the actual sets) deload week you strip back the work

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:06 pm 
Manatee

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Easy way to explain....

Let's say your 1 rep max on squats is a 100kg (easy number) 90% of that being 90kg, this now is your current max. Now you will work off of 90% (90kg) for your first cycle, so week one would be 65% 75% 85% of that 90%. So working sets for squats would be (I'm rounding here) 57.5kg(65%)-70kg(75%-77.5kg (85%).

After the deload week you will add 5kg to that 90kg, now your max is 95kg & you work with the percentages over the weeks. Complete cycle 2, cycle 3 your max will now be 100kg.

2.5 (5lb) added to bench/over head press & 5kg (10lb) to deads & squats.

Heh, I get it now, I feel so dumb as it was quite easy..

You only do the 5/3/1 lift on week 3 and the rest you do 4x5 or 3 or whatever.

I've got to the end of the week for this routine and then I'll try the 5/3/1 with bodyweight assist for now.

Only issue it, on odd kg weight you can't really (at least at my gym) put that number on the bar. What do you do, round to the nearest 5?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm 
Gorilla

week one is 3x5, week 2 3x3, week 3 is 5/3/1...what i do is hit required reps on 3x5 then 3x3 i'll set myself a number for the last set, same as the 5/3/1 week...

I round the the nearest 2.5kg, my gym carries 1.25 plates so I can do it properly, thank god. I have the excel spreadsheet which maps it all for you, if you haven't already go it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:37 pm 
Manatee

veggiesasquatch wrote:
week one is 3x5, week 2 3x3, week 3 is 5/3/1...what i do is hit required reps on 3x5 then 3x3 i'll set myself a number for the last set, same as the 5/3/1 week...

I round the the nearest 2.5kg, my gym carries 1.25 plates so I can do it properly, thank god. I have the excel spreadsheet which maps it all for you, if you haven't already go it

No I don't have the spreadsheet yet but I think I know what you're talking about..

Seems to help now that I'm looking at it but it's a bitch to work out KG to lbs and telling the sheet to work in 5 and 2.5k :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:59 pm 
Gorilla

No you just adjust it accordingly, there's nothing complicated about it at all. You just tell it to use lb/kg & what to round to

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:05 pm 
Manatee

veggiesasquatch wrote:
No you just adjust it accordingly, there's nothing complicated about it at all. You just tell it to use lb/kg & what to round to

Oh I see, it wasn't the spreadsheet not working, was my office program not working :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next