Ryan's "Hope to compete again in 2014" log

Upper back and shoulder work on Friday that I forgot to log sooner -

Weighted pull-ups -

1x5 @ bodyweight (243 lbs. clothed)

1x10 @ 45 lbs. added (feet just barely touching floor for 1 second deload between each rep)

1x6 @ 62.5 lbs. added (same 1 second deload between reps)

1x3 @ 82.5 lbs. added (about 3-5 seconds deload and a few breaths between each rep)

1xfail @ 102.5 lbs. added (got eyes up to the bar, but couldn't finish the last inch or two of the pull)

Standing overhead strict press w/ axle -

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 175

1x2 @ 195

1x1 @ 205

1x1 @ 215

1x1 @ 225

1x1 @ 235, went up fairly easily will work to hit 240 later this month

3x5 @ 205

1x12 @ 175, got 10 reps, had to rack the axle, rest 10 seconds to finish last 2 reps of set

Heavy 1-arm sled rows in parking lot -

1x20 each arm @ 335 lb. sled

1x20 " " @ 370

1x20 " " @ 405

Have to lean back about 20-30 degrees at start of pull to get sled moving each time, but finding I can definitely go heavy on these easily enough.

Light stone loading work -

3x5 lifts to 48" platform w/ 190 lb. stone

1x5 rows to chest w/ 250 lb. stone

1x3 rows to chest w/ 270 lb. stone

Called it a day, am hoping to get leg training in later but pulled a muscle in my middle back from laughing too hard last night (of all things...) so I downed 1000mg of ibuprofen and am keeping fingers crossed I'll be up for light squatting later tonight. Otherwise, it'll be tomorrow!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick leg workout tonight -

Squats -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 185

1x5 @ 225

8x5 @ 285

1x12 @ 225

1x20 @ 185

All sets pretty easy, but the 20 rep set took all the wind out of me.

Angled leg press w/bands -

3x20 @ 360 lbs. Plus black bands

Alternated with 3x25 glute/ham raises

Wrapped up with one light set of reverse hypers with 50 lbs. and that was plenty.

Upper back and chest tomorrow!

Things still moving in the right direction, lower back is feeling stellar and body recomp is moving along nicely. Came in drained at 236 this morning, haven't been this low in some time, more visible definition coming along in a few areas, working toward the goal of getting lean in the low 220s and working my way back up to a solid and non-bloated 235ish over the next year. Slow and steady, no painful dieting, no crazy training, just sensible eating with enough work to keep making progress, won't switch gears for a while until things start to stall out.

Lower back and chest night, was going to do it on Monday but was so worn out when I got there, I realized I needed a few more days off. Tonight was good for it, though!

Continuing with rehab deadlifts done fairly light -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

10x5 @ 275, easy and fast pulls every set

Alternated the deadlifts with axle bench pressing -

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 195

1x2 @ 235

1x1 @ 265

Put on Slingshot and started alternating wtih the deadlifts, 45-60 seconds max rest between sets -

9x2, 1x3 @ 300 lbs.

Took off Slingshot

2x3, 1x4 @ 265

1x8 @ 235

1x15 @ 195

1x20 @ 150, wanted 25 but triceps were dead at 20, no more to be had

700 lb. tire flips -

3x6, MUCH easier than last time, will be working up to sets of 10 over the next month or two with this one

Safety squat bar good mornings -

3x20 @ 165 lbs., keeping light, working on shooting hips forward fast on the extension

Front squat harness shrugs -

3x25 @ 350 lbs.

That was it, wanted to get in some light reverse hypers, but hit the wall after the shrugs, nothing left to give tonight for keeping the pace fast and giving it everything I had.

Skateboarding tomorrow so long as my tricky knee doesn't give me problems, upper back and either shoulders or some stone lifting on Friday!

Body was totally taxed the past few days, just couldn't feel like doing much of anything, like I was sleepwalking all day Thursday and Friday. Figured I needed to get my ass back in gear on Saturday, went in for some upper back and shoulder work -

Standing strict overhead axle presses -

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x2 @ 175

1x1 @ 195

1x1 @ 215

5x3 @ 225, done as singles with 20 seconds rest between each. Would press a rep, rack the axle, walk out the dock door for a quick breath, then come back for the next. Technique was REALLY spot on tonight, the 2nd and 3rd sets we so easy, I had to double check and make sure I had 225 on the bar. Trying some of my older tricks to bump the strength back up, lots of heavy near-max singles with a bit of rest worked well before, we'll see what it does if I throw them in from time to time now.

Weighted pull-ups, done alternating with the axle presses -

1x3 @ bodyweight (242 clothed tonight)

1x2 @ 45 lbs. added on

1x2 @ 70 lbs. added on

3x3 @ 90 lbs. added on, done as singles with 10 seconds rest with feet on floor between each rep, working to hit the elusive 100 lb. weighted pull-up soon

1x10 @ 50 lbs. added on, done as singles with feet touching floor for quick deload for one second between each rep.

1-arm standing DB strict presses -

1x12 @ 82.5 lb. DB each arm

1x20 @ 62.5 lb. DB each arm

1-arm DB rows -

2x15 @ 150 lb. DB each arm, was much easier than in the past, felt like I should have tried for 20s.

Weighted sled rows behind building -

2x25 each arm @ 330 lb. sled

I feel MUCH stronger while training lately, unlike in the past months where I had to fight through every set but felt like I could train all day if I needed to. Now things go really well for just about 90 minutes, then I crash hard, where my body seems to be insisting that I quit while I'm ahead. Not sure if this is just the cleaner diet that's changing my training for the better with increased strength or that I've started taking creatine again, but rarely does creatine have much of a real impact for me.

Still carrying on to keep rebuilding, should be squatting on Tuesday!

Quick lower back and chest day!

Flat bench w/ axle, medium grip all sets at torso width -

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 195

1x2 @ 235

1x1 @ 265

Put on slingshot

10x2 @ 310 lbs.

1x1 @ 325

1x1 @ 335

Felt good, might have been good for 350 but don't want to go too heavy for a few more weeks

Took off Slingshot

2x2 @ 275

Deadlifted between bench sets of doubles -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

9x5, 1x10 @ 285

Safety squat bar good mornings -

3x20 @ 185 lbs.

Wrapped up with a circuit of 3 sets as follows, no more than 20 seconds rest between exercises or circuits -

3x25 glute/ham raises

3x25 banded bench machine presses

3x20 reverse hypers w/ 100 lbs.

Hit a wall at that point, called it a day. Will be doing upper back and event work Friday, squats an overhead pressing Sunday!

Quick upper back day, wanted to do shoulders but heat shut me down early -

Weighted pull-ups -

1x4 @ bodyweight (240 clothed)

1x2 @ 50 lbs. added

3x5 @ 72.5 lbs. added, done as singles with a quick breath between each, last set I had to rest about 10 seconds between the 4th and 5th rep, got tough at the end

DB rows -

2x15 each arm @ 150 lb. DB

1 arm sled rows -

2x20 each arm @ 340 lbs.

Started overhead pressing in between the DB rows, worked through a single @ 230 lbs. that went up easily enough, then got shut down 4 tries in a row @ 240 lbs. for a strict press with the axle, so I figured that I need a few more days to try for a new PR with this. Might hit it back up on Sunday, otherwise Monday for shoulders, will be squatting Sunday or Monday as well!

Hey, Chewy!

Back has been MUCH better, can't speak highly enough of the DRX-9000 for being an awesome recovery tool from compressed discs. Still getting weekly chiro adjustments to keep things in line as well, so far, so good, hoping things stay in the right direction. Haven't had even the slightest bit of pain in two months, once I got back to being able to squat/deadlift with light weights again, the morning tightness I was getting has been nonexistant. Working my way back up slowly and carefully this time, even if I have to stay with moderate weight for squats/deads for the remainder of the year, it's better than being in daily agony!

Haven't lifted since Friday, weather here has been hovering just about 100 degrees with high humidity, essentially making me feel wiped out every time I'm outside. Considering our facility has no AC and it's always hotter in the gym than it is outdoors, I'm pretty much unable to do any real training when it's above 90 out. But, cooler weather is supposed to be coming our way tonight, if it drops to the 70s as they predict, I'll get my arse out to lift in a few hours!

Took the week off from lifting, had two deaths in the family so training was not top priority this past week. Had to get back to business as usual tonight, upper back and shoulder training -

Weighted pull ups -

1x3 @ bodyweight (240 lbs. clothed tonight)

1x3 @ 40 lbs added

3x5 @ 82.5 lbs added, done as single with 5-10 seconds between each rep. Felt great with these tonight, will try for a legit 100 lb pull up again soon to hopefully finally make one happen.

Standing overhead strict presses with axle -

1x10 @ empty 55 lb axle

1x5 @ 145 lbs

1x3 @ 195

1x1 @ 225

1x1 @ 235

Just missed making 240 lbs for a strict press, lost it behind me a few inches short of lockout, will nail it next time

3x5 @ 210

Barbell rows, first time in a while -

2x10 @ 235 lbs

1x10 @ 245

1 arm standing dumbbell press, slight side lean on the last rep or two -

1x10 @ 92.5 lbs

Was strong on these, but right shoulder was popping and clicking a bit, stopped after one set

Standing white monster band with handle 1 arm press (band looped under 150 lb dumbbell), about 40 lbs tension at start, around 80 lbs at finish -

2x20 each arm

Hammer Strength plate loaded pulldowns -

2x15 @ 230 lbs

Inverted bodyweight rows in the top of the power rack -

2x25

Rear delt flues with dual handled cable tied to power rack pillar -

3x25

Good session, will be handing out prize money tomorrow at the beachfront strongman comp in Milwaukee tomorrow after watching the human giants battle it out, should get some leg training in on Sunday!

Thanks, VS - it wouldn't have been so bad were it not for both being quite unexpected. Uncle of mine was just diagnosed with emphysema in early May (2 pack a day smoker for about 60 years), then there to multiple cancerous tumors all over his body just weeks later, no hope for recovery, it was just a matter of waiting for his time to come, which wasn't all that long afterward. My wife's cousin was a shock, only 45 years old, but heavy drinking over 20+ years caught up with him - he fell at home and hit his head, went into a coma (they couldn't operate for hours afterward because of his massively high .32 blood alcohol content), and they took him off life support a few short days later. Rough times all around, but that's life, sometimes it's great, sometimes it's a handful of shite.

Definitely hit those weighted pull-ups - they've been a great asset, even doing my sets technically as singles with 5 seconds rest between reps has built up a LOT more upper back strength. One of these damned days I'll finally get one with 100 lbs. strapped on, I think it's now more of a mental block than anything else, hopefully once I get 100 I'll rip through another few PRs soon afterward.

Wanted to train tonight as it was nice and cool outside, but something I had for dinner (cheeseless pizza from new place in town) just didn't settle right, gut has been churning for the past 5 hours, so had to skip lifting until tomorrow. Only consolation is that I got to have fun with front-row seats at the Milwaukee Battle at the Beach yesterday, great strongman comp and looking like it'll be a pro card qualifier next year (quite the honor for a contest that's only in its second year!) My wallet's a lot lighter after sponsoring extra cash for the winner in three different events, got a nasty case of sunburn, but a great time overall. Some pics of the day to share:

Power stairs were first event, 3 implements (425 lbs for two, 500 lbs. for the third), each had to be lifted up 5 oversized steps on the beachfront, everyone got through the 425s, but the 500 shut down about half the roster from completing the full event. Guy with the hat and sleeveless shirt is Sam McMahon, state chair for North American Stronman Society, retired former pro competitor, and all-around good guy who helps ANYONE who wants to get into strongman. My business partner Kirk is the bearded guy to the right of him, he's the one who runs our training facility. Guy doing the event is Eulice, one of our members who has been making great progress this past year. Grey haired ponytail guy with back to the camera is Jan (aka Swede), inspiration for those who want to be bull-strong as they reach the half century mark. I watched him deadlift 455 lbs. for 19 reps in a contest not long ago, some amazing strength for a guy who's a half century old

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/8033_524653643806_1330941873_n.jpg

Block press was 2nd event, concrete blocks ranging from 205 to 265 lbs. had to be lifted from the sand to overhead. Nobody made the full run (two people came close), most were only able to get through 2-3 blocks before being shut down by how big and awkward they were. Apparently, when they use metal blocks or denser rock, it's not quite so tough (or so people were saying), those concrete slabs were freakin' BIG. Guy who is in the photo managed to win two events, so I handed him a pair of $100s for his work that day.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/602365_524656063956_2124657310_n.jpg

3rd event was the tombstone carry, 300+ lb. concrete slab carried for distance as far as you could take it around the course, best distance was one full lap and about 90% of the 2nd lap by one of the guys who trains at our facility, was something like 280 feet total distance carried (in sand, nonetheless)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/303569_524656248586_784495320_n.jpg

4th event was keg toss, 30 lb. empty aluminum kegs thrown over 14 foot bar, fastest time wins. Most completed it, but some just couldn't get the technique down and only got a few kegs over to be counted for scoring.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/306660_524657301476_123597218_n.jpg

Stones were final event, 6 stones weighing 275 lbs. through 380, if you made those you got the crack at the 405 lb. bonus stone, three people made it to the last one, only two were able to get it loaded. Shot here is of guy Jake Bodi (lightweight pro, he's now competing as a heavyweight despite most HWs being 40-100 lbs. heavier than he is!), one of the two to nail the last stone, but he was a few seconds slower than the massive 6'5", 350 lb. monster who trekked up from New Mexico to beat him out for a 2nd place finish

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/196153_487603174587185_1281203204_n.jpg

Finally, me holding two beers in one hand and handing out prize money (it seems the can of Guinness between myself and Sam is floating on its own, as there's a mystical 5th hand between us but nobody attached to it)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/208896_524658598876_488276068_n.jpg

Quick leg training session tonight, was going to do chest, but didn't feel 100% with my right shoulder still being a bit tender. It loosened up after warming up, but after working up to 295 lbs. x 4 for a close-grip bench press with the Slingshot on, I felt it better to wait 2 more days and just worked legs -

Squats -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 275

1x1 @ 315

1x1 @ 345

1x1 @ 365

10x5 @ 295

All sets pretty easy, even getting to train legs only every 14 days hasn't slowed things down much, but I'm sure they'll be better when I get more consistent about hitting them hard.

New hack squat machine in the gym this week thanks to our member Dan who has temporarily donated a full gym's worth of Hammer Strength equipment to our facility for the next few years until he graduates with his degree (after which, he wants to open his own gym, so we'll be needing to replace a lot of stuff down the line). Played around with it for a few quick sets -

1x20 @ 100, 150, 200 lbs.

Even though the sets were light, my legs were pretty beat from the squats, but wanted to play around with the new toy for some light sets before calling it a day.

Was going to do 3x25 for glute/ham raises, but after the first set, my hamstrings started cramped up something fierce, so I called it a day. When I get hamstring cramps, it's sheer agony, I end up rolling on the floor and shouting for 5 minutes straight until they loosen up, so no need to make life miserable.

That was it for today, should be back for chest work and deadlifts Wednesday!

VE,

What advice do you have if any for weighted pull ups?

Currently I do 5x10 wide grips mon (I alter the width per set) & on a fri I usually hit hammers & chins.

My right shoulder at the back/arm pit/lat area has been tight lately & I'm I'm putting that down to the amount of pull/chins I do added with the boring but big benching, so my plan this cycle is to do like a shoulder, upper back day (like you advised in a thread recently) & leaving it at that for some recovery & because I'm reprogramming/starting over with a new 1rm's.

Is it worth doing one body weight set then add in a plate (it won't be anything heavy maybe a 12 lb plate) then have a set number I want to hit? Maybe like 4 sets 6 reps (after the bw set)? I don't like pushing to failure, like to have a plan:)

My idea was:

OHP 5/3/1

Pull ups

Dumbbell rowing (last set as a Kroc row) 3x10 1xkroc

Cable narrow rows 3x12

Maybe a side loadable/straight arm pull downs? 3x15 or will the weighted pull ups be enough work? If so maybe some shrugs to finish? I'm plannin to hit lats just once a week this cycle.

Cheers man

Milwaukee Battle at the Beach yesterday, great strongman comp and looking like it'll be a pro card qualifier next year

Did you mean to say that you'll be a contender? Sah-weet! And shame on you for not notifying me in advance of an event packed to bursting with a herd of big, hunky guys. I would've cleared my calendar.

Send pics of the 6'5" 350 pounder, please.

Baby Herc

pulled a muscle in my middle back from laughing too hard last night (of all things...)

This is clear evidence that you are out of laughing shape and should start an intensive program of dirty jokes and stand up comedy immediately. Pace yourself and remember, safety first: eat half an hour beforehand to avoid protein shake spit takes.

Baby Herc

Milwaukee Battle at the Beach yesterday, great strongman comp and looking like it'll be a pro card qualifier next year

Did you mean to say that you'll be a contender? Sah-weet! And shame on you for not notifying me in advance of an event packed to bursting with a herd of big, hunky guys. I would've cleared my calendar.

Send pics of the 6'5" 350 pounder, please.

Baby Herc

Hey, Herc!

Not likely I'll be competing against these guys any time soon - many of them are people who have been at the top of the amateur field for years in a row, and I prefer that if I'm going to get stomped, it'll be by people a little closer to my level Not to mention, I'll likely be competing as a lightweight whenever I'm well enough to get back in the game (lightweight in strongman being a cap at 231 lbs.), but you never know how things will go!

I'll try to find the name of the guy who came in 2nd if they have results posted yet, he's the behemoth from New Mexico, probably only carries a bit more bodyfat than I do even though he outweighs me by 120 lbs. (which is uncommon for heavyweights, usually when they're in the mid 300s they're not the leanest!) There'll be more pics popping up this week, I'll see if I can make you happy with that

Hey, VS!

For me, I found that the approach of doing reps as singles with a few seconds to catch breath between each was the fastest way for me to progress for adding more weight. When I was doing all sets from a dead hang on each rep, it was a LOT tougher, as I can't cut reps short of a full hang like some people do and I lose too much energy that saps me from doing the most good. What I recommend is to play around and first, see what you can max at for a single weighted pull-up. If, say, you find that it's 55 lbs. for your max single, then drop it to something like 25-30 lbs. added, doing 3x5 as one rep, let feet hit the floor, take 2 quick breaths, and repeat. There's always time to go back and work on the full hang endurance part later, but if you're looking to get that overall strength up, do what it takes to get there with the few breaths and quick deload between each one. The only time I end up going to failure is if I try for a PR, otherwise, worst case is that the last rep of the last set might be an inch shy of a full ROM, but you can always take a few extra breaths if you feel you need it between reps. It's an odd approach, but I swear by it, definitely what has worked for me.

Also, consider trying shrug-ups to strengthen the starting pull (they also hit the rear delts/rhomboids nicely if you feel tightness in that area), basically strap in (don't want to let grip interfere with these) as if you're about to do a set of torso width or wider pull-ups, and just do a 3-4" ROM upward lat shrug like you're starting a pull-up, but cut them REALLY short and hit some higher reps as a finisher. They'll kill your lats big-time and will work those starting stabilizer muscles nicely and could really loosen things up. If that doesn't do the trick, then cable face pulls would be my next suggestion, done knuckles-up, hands angled at about 45 degrees, pulling in close to eye level each rep. If you have a weak spot in the smaller musculature, those two things will quickly point it out and help you bring them up!

VE,

What advice do you have if any for weighted pull ups?

Currently I do 5x10 wide grips mon (I alter the width per set) & on a fri I usually hit hammers & chins.

My right shoulder at the back/arm pit/lat area has been tight lately & I'm I'm putting that down to the amount of pull/chins I do added with the boring but big benching, so my plan this cycle is to do like a shoulder, upper back day (like you advised in a thread recently) & leaving it at that for some recovery & because I'm reprogramming/starting over with a new 1rm's.

Is it worth doing one body weight set then add in a plate (it won't be anything heavy maybe a 12 lb plate) then have a set number I want to hit? Maybe like 4 sets 6 reps (after the bw set)? I don't like pushing to failure, like to have a plan:)

My idea was:

OHP 5/3/1

Pull ups

Dumbbell rowing (last set as a Kroc row) 3x10 1xkroc

Cable narrow rows 3x12

Maybe a side loadable/straight arm pull downs? 3x15 or will the weighted pull ups be enough work? If so maybe some shrugs to finish? I'm plannin to hit lats just once a week this cycle.

Cheers man

Not likely I'll be competing against these guys any time soon - many of them are people who have been at the top of the amateur field for years in a row, and I prefer that if I'm going to get stomped, it'll be by people a little closer to my level Not to mention, I'll likely be competing as a lightweight whenever I'm well enough to get back in the game (lightweight in strongman being a cap at 231 lbs.), but you never know how things will go!

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened sooner than later. I better start practicing my wolf whistle and clapping.

I'll try to find the name of the guy who came in 2nd if they have results posted yet, he's the behemoth from New Mexico, probably only carries a bit more bodyfat than I do even though he outweighs me by 120 lbs. (which is uncommon for heavyweights, usually when they're in the mid 300s they're not the leanest!) There'll be more pics popping up this week, I'll see if I can make you happy with that

I take back everything I ever said about New Mexico. (Okay, except Los Alamos.)

Baby Herc

Thanks for that great rePly mate!!! So basically dead hanging-pull up-return to dead hang-drop down-quick breath then go again....I do usually go from a dead hanging in my whole sets but I'll take your advice & try it this way first thanks again

Yep, that's how I do the heavy weighted ones, VS! Otherwise, I end up expending a good portion of my energy just sitting in the hang catching my breath between reps, so I always do at least a one second deload and quick breath, then pull again from there!

Quick chest/deadlift session last night, temperatures here were 101 during the day, gym was still 86 degrees at night, had to make it quick so I wouldn't pass out!

Deadlifts -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

10x5 @ 305, about 60-80 seconds between sets, back is still feeling great, getting ready to change slightly. One more week of 10x5 to keep greasing the groove, then I add a bit more weight (will start at 335 or so), dropping sets to 5 and reps to 3 while slowly increasing for a month or two. Once I can pull in the 400s pain-free, I'll know I'm on the right track again.

Axle bench press -

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 195

1x2 @ 235

1x1 @ 265

Put on Slingshot

1x1 @ 305

1x1 @ 325, had to really fight the lockout, lost a lot of energy, couldn't keep going heavy

1x5 @ 285

Decided to drop and do speed doubles, 10x2 @ 265 with the Slingshot, one minute rest between sets.

Reverse hypers -

2x25 @ 70 lbs.

DB Spoon Presses (palms-in DB press with DBs always touching from chest to lockout)

2x15 @ 75 lbs.

Called it a day after that, dripping with sweat and feeling woozy, will get in for some upper back work today or tomorrow!

This sounds good. Im going to try this. thanks bro

Hey, VS!

Also, consider trying shrug-ups to strengthen the starting pull (they also hit the rear delts/rhomboids nicely if you feel tightness in that area), basically strap in (don't want to let grip interfere with these) as if you're about to do a set of torso width or wider pull-ups, and just do a 3-4" ROM upward lat shrug like you're starting a pull-up, but cut them REALLY short and hit some higher reps as a finisher. They'll kill your lats big-time and will work those starting stabilizer muscles nicely and could really loosen things up. If that doesn't do the trick, then cable face pulls would be my next suggestion, done knuckles-up, hands angled at about 45 degrees, pulling in close to eye level each rep. If you have a weak spot in the smaller musculature, those two things will quickly point it out and help you bring them up!

Glad to help, Octo!

Quick session at a different gym last night, temperatures here were still in the high 80s with 90% humidity last night, no way to train at our facility unless I wanted to be found dead there the next day. Paid $15 to get a night pass at the place a mile away from us, even with the AC running high I was still sweating like crazy, but got through an hour's session before I had to hang it up.

Standing overhead strict press in the power rack -

1x10 @ empty bar

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x3 @ 185

1x1 @ 205

1x1 @ 225

3x8 @ 185

Weighted pull-ups -

1x5 @ bodyweight (238 clothed last night)

1x5 @ 45 lbs. added

3x5 @ 80 lbs. added, done as 3 reps with a split second deload (no usual 5 second break between reps), then would take 5 seconds between each of the last two reps to finish.

Seated shoulder press machine -

2x20 @ 170 lbs.

Seated row machine -

2x20 @ 250 lbs. full stack

1-arm DB clean and strict press, clean only once -

1x10 @ 95 lbs. each arm

Wide grip pulldowns -

1x20 @ 220 lbs.

Did 1x10 @ 55 lb. for DB hammer curls just before leaving just to do my usual one-set-per-month direct arm work and called it a day

Nothing crazy, just 65 minutes start to finish and wrapped up. Temperatures here still supposed to be around 100 degrees with high humidity for the next 5 days, definitely throwing a wrench into my usual training, but I have to manage to get back to squat and deadlift before Sunday. Will sneak back into the gym as soon as the heat breaks, don't care if it's at midnight, I'll be there as soon as I can train without passing out!

Geez, Ryan, that heat sucks. I have relatives in Iowa and they are staying huddled inside with central air unless they have to venture out for food. Not having AC in the gym is not as bad as having it and not being able to use it, though. In Denver, the last place I lifted had a harpy of a manager who didn't think the weight room or basketball court needed cooling down at temperatures below 88 degrees, equal humidity. She never exercised, herself, and everyone hated her. I recently learned that she finally retired--I'm sure they threw a party but I doubt she comprehended exactly WHAT they were celebrating.

Hang in there, autumn is only three months away.

Baby Herc