Bulking phase

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thurs-21st-June cycle 6 week 3 (5/3/1)

Early start today & pretty damn busy at work!

Main lift:

Bench press: (warm up sets 40kg x5 55kg x5 67.5kg x5) 77.5kg x5 87.5kg x3 97.5kg x1

Assistance:

Bench press: boring but big 72kg x10 62kg 2x10 52kg 2x10

Chin ups: various grips 4x10 (lat/arm complaining so lef the last 5th set of 10)

Dumbbell rows: 34kg x10 32kg x10 30kg x10 22kg x25

Abs: side bends 30 reps with 20kg plate,hammer strength weighted crunches with 15kg loaded,30 crunches:

Summary:

1 rep on 97.5kg & had to stop, knew on the 77.5kg set this wasn't going to happen tonight. My right shoulder/back of arm/lat is very tight right now. On next weeks deload I'm not planning to do any pull ups or any direct work... Am feeling a little sore today (in a bad way)

Fir-23rd-June cycle 6 week 3 (5/3/1)

Main lift:

squats: (warm up sets 5x5kg5 70kg x5 82.5kg x5) 105kg x5 117.5kg x3 132.5kg x1+2g

Assistance:

Squats: Boring but big 97.5kg x10 82kg 2x10 70kg 2x10

Standing hamstring curls: 4x12

Hypers: 4x15

Abs: Hanging knee raises 3x10

Summary

SO in all I'm aching all over...I'm glad I have opted to reprogram everything now instead of in a cycle or two. I'm just starting to notice one to many niggles & I'm taking a wee bit longer to recover. Never been one to ache for days so this is noticeable.

Left squats at just two reps, I had no plan today & was wise to leave more in the tank.

Mon-25th-June cycle 6 week 4 (deload)

Not logging anything for this, work was super light & I paired up upper/lower lifts as its deload week.

Going to be reviewing my program as I'm reprogramming for a new start. So will be starting with cycle one, new 1rm on the lifts.  I ve made some good gains so will be taking my best lifts from previous cycles & basing off those.

Contemplating going to a three day split, primarily because I can't deadlift programmed so may just use  them as a pre squat warm up. Also thus allows me to start some running on off days.

Today's work:

OHP 

3x10 pull ups

Close grip bench (for programming in new cycle so tested this) 

Mts rows

Cable tricep/bicep work

Deadlift

Front squats 

Standing hamstring curls

Ab work...

Summary:

Looks a lot but it was all easy/light weight...

I ve come the the conclusion that I dislike training with people...that's my log for today.

Join the club!

Precisely why I train late at night by myself. When I'm in a rut and need to be pushed harder than ever, I do well with other people (but, only people that are motivating, i.e. those who are stronger than myself). But, 99% of the time, I'd rather have the gym to myself, turn up the music, and take care of things without seeing another human being for the 90 minutes I'm there.

Can't agree more VE, when I was flat out training Keysi 3 times a week I'd usually partner up with two guys who'd been studying the art for years...to achieve the black you have to train in front of the founding members so high standards. I found doing this I couldn't actually train with people even a couple of years in front of me, I quickly progressed through the ranks but lifting last year became more enjoyable. Also it was be a middle distance runner/more of a fighter/become bigger & stronger so I opted for lifting:) I do still throw down in my pals "fight club" basement now & then...how the tables have turned lol

As for lifting solo, I find I can get into my zone & stay there...if someone's trying to chat to me about the footie ect I just tend to drop off. Also my view has & will always be that I hate everyone & everything, my mind has to be turned otherwise lol I find you feel less obligated this way.

I'm thirty one now & fairly happy with who I'am, being thirty+ means you get to complain a lot I've found....I like it

But, 99% of the time, I'd rather have the gym to myself, turn up the music, and take care of things without seeing another human being for the 90 minutes I'm there.

x 2. Well said, I completely agree with you and VS.

Training with others just frustrates the shit out of me for the most-part.

SO I had a few drinks last night & the sweet was pissing out of me....

Cycle 6 week 4 (deload)

Squats/standing hamstring curls

Bench press/Incline bench press (test for new cycle)

dumbbell rows/dips

Summary:

So a easy session, this marks a reprogram & new plan for next week

So this last deload means now I'm going to go with a full reprogram on bench,ohp & squats. Deadlift's I cannot program using 5/3/1 due to the current problems I'am having.

I have lately been feeling general achy all the time, also a few to many minor niggles so time to be prudent. My promotion means I'am incredibly busy & on my feet for 12 hours, not taking into account the 5 mile round walk there & back. I have been feeling very tired of late & on days off/day shifts I'm pretty much dead come 21:30...my other half recently had a night away & I thought "great all night xbox-sesh" come 22:00 I was tucked up in bed.

I have been mulling over going to a Mon/Wed/Fri split...mainly due to how my program lines up with work. My rota is over four weeks, like 5/3/1's cycle so it matches well in that respect (I use deload on my shit week at work which is Mon/Tue/Wed night shifts & Sat/Sun days) but in others its a mare, eg:

When I work a day shift this is 7:00-19:00, if it's a lifting day I wake up at 5:00 eat,pack food & gear then walk. Work my shift then head to the gym, get home 20:15-20:40, prep food & eat a post meal. Sleep by 23:30 usually then repeat. 

If its night shifts & I lift it can be more difficult, like having to get up so I can train, shower at the gym then goto work. 

As I cannot program deads my "idea" right now is as follows:

Monday:

OHP 5/3/1

Pull ups

Dumbbell rows (last set as a Kroc row)

Cable narrow row or face pulls

Shrugs 

My thinking here is to hit shoulders/upper back & leave it alone for a week. I'm going to reduce my pull ups during the first cycle to allow my lat to settle down. So just the 5x10 once a week instead of 5x10 twice.

Wed:

Deadlift (light so is used as a pre squat warm up)

Squats 5/3/1 (straight into working sets)

Front squats programmed

Standing hamstring curls

Here is my only lower day of the week. Going in just to deadlift light just seemed rather...well I don't want to say pointless but more that I could be 1)more prudent & 2)allowing more recovery for my lower back. So this is my thinking 

Fri:

Bench 5/3/1

Incline bench programmed 

Push ups

Dips (only BW)

Tricep push downs

Again here just target the chest/triceps & then leave alone for a week.

So that's my plan for lifting; taking out the boring but big work will hopefully allow me to let a few niggles settle over the new cycle, as the works going to be pretty easy. This should allow & I say should allow me to do some running again. As I pointed out my work shifts, lifting four days a week squeezing in conditioning wasn't going to happen so....I'm planning on manning the fuck up & dragging my ass out to run two miles/two days a week. I use to run six mile three times a week just for the hell of it!

Sorry I have waffled on, needed to get this out my head so I could read my thoughts. So anyone who usually checks my log, apologies (I'm looking at you mini) for this!

Also if  anyone can see something I can't please say so:)

I can't really say much to the programming, as I'm pretty new to 5/3/1. However, I am doing the 3/week version as it works out better for me time-wise. My work shifts aren't as long as yours but I lift on my lunch break so I don't get any breaks on those days. I'm pretty sure I would have burnt out long ago if I was lifting 4 days a week. I would say give it a go for a couple cycles and see how it goes, so your "idea" looks pretty good to me. Good luck!

I can't really say much to the programming, as I'm pretty new to 5/3/1. However, I am doing the 3/week version as it works out better for me time-wise. My work shifts aren't as long as yours but I lift on my lunch break so I don't get any breaks on those days. I'm pretty sure I would have burnt out long ago if I was lifting 4 days a week. I would say give it a go for a couple cycles and see how it goes, so your "idea" looks pretty good to me. Good luck!

I can't really say much to the programming, as I'm pretty new to 5/3/1.  However, I am doing the 3/week version as it works out better for me time-wise.  My work shifts aren't as long as yours but I lift on my lunch break so I don't get any breaks on those days.  I'm pretty sure I would have burnt out long ago if I was lifting 4 days a week.  I would say give it a go for a couple cycles and see how it goes, so your "idea" looks pretty good to me.  Good luck!

Thanks for that!

Glad my reasoning made sense to someone, that's one of the reasons i blogged this.

I'm not usually one to have "body area to hit day", obviously  I follow how Wendler lays out the work ( I added in a couple

of things that I needed to work on) but for this cycle targeting; say upper back/shoulders then leaving that area alone for a week will help my arm/lat to settle.

Cheers

So here we go, lifts re-programmed & starting from scratch! I have taken the decision to use 85% of my one rep max, not 90% as to allow more room for progression, Though my one rep max on all lifts being heavier at 85% than the full 90% six months ago

Pre workout meal:

1 cup oats with rice milk (I like it hope the supermarket keeps it at £1)

4 boiled eggs

Glass strawberry & banana smoothie

5 grams bcaa before training

Today's workout I listened to

Mon-2nd-July Cycle 1 Week 1 (3x5)

Main lift

Over head press: (all 5 reps) 20kg 25kg 30kg 32,5kg 37.5kg 42.5kg

Assistance

Close grip bench (programmed 3x10): 35kg 42.5kg 50kg

Pull/chin ups: 1x10 bodyweight wide grip...2x6 wide grip +5kg plate 1x6 chin up +5kg plate 1x6 hammer grip +5kg plate

Dumbbell rows (3x10) 36kg 34kg 32kg...26kg as a Kroc row 15 reps per arm (goal 25)

Cable rows: 3x10 various weights

Abs: side bends with 20kg plate x35 reps per side, hammer strength crunch frame with 15kg loaded 35 reps, hanging knee raises 30 reps

Post workout meal:

x2 scoop protein/5grams of bcaa-glutamine-creatine

Grabbed a subway on way home

Summary:

The work was, as expected pretty easy on the OHP & close grip. Pull ups, weighted felt great. Managed to dead hang every set besides the second wide grips where I use Veganessentials advice, 1 rep-return to dead hang-take a second or two then go again.

Hope my appetite kicks back in, always drops off on the deload week so I was pretty tired after this.

Going to really tighted up my diet from today...plenty of good food in large amounts. Taking some inspiration from the plans on the front page.

Good price on the rice milk, bargain mate.

Hey I thought you might be interested to hear that one of my mates got 4th place at the Bro's V Pro's PL'ing bash at Poundstones gym this weekend just gone. He pulled a crazy 405 for 25 reps, pretty insane as I've been following his training leading up to it and he certainly works his arse off. Poundstone reportedly pulled 850 for a strong single.

Hope you had a good weekend and props to you on the weighted pullups. Bloody hard exercise, they're like weights and cardio rolled into one haha. Take care MF.

Good price on the rice milk, bargain mate.

Hey I thought you might be interested to hear that one of my mates got 4th place at the Bro's V Pro's PL'ing bash at Poundstones gym this weekend just gone. He pulled a crazy 405 for 25 reps, pretty insane as I've been following his training leading up to it and he certainly works his arse off. Poundstone reportedly pulled 850 for a strong single.

Hope you had a good weekend and props to you on the weighted pullups. Bloody hard exercise, they're like weights and cardio rolled into one haha. Take care MF.

Badass mini....thats very impressive indeed!!!

My pal who trains for the under 105kg chomps pulled 190kg for 25 reps once, all full dead stops. This was after doing multiple singles, doubles of various weights. He did 180kg for 5x10 the other week for his version of cardio hahaha that was squats after heavier work

Just mapped out a 2 mile run shall update after I'm back.

Went for a 2 mile run Tuesday evening pretty good though I'm way off where I was...stamina wise this time last year, which is to be expected.

This effected my lower day, pretty short sighted of me really, thought the 2 miles wouldn't hinder me much. Wrong.

Cycle 1 week 1 (3x5)

Main lift:

Deadlift: These were used as a pre squat warm up as I'm not programming them, all 5 reps 60kg 70kg 80kg 100kg x2

Squats: 82.5kg 95kg 107.5kg

Assistance:

Front squats: 50kg x10 60kg x10 70kg x10

I should of done some hamstring curls/reverse hypers but couldn't be fucked.

Summary:

Awful session, packed up twice & had to tell myself to man up. The run the day before was badly timed, Even the 95kg on squats felt heavy which was fucking awful...Crap & was hating every second of it!

So today I did something other than 5/3/1........WTF

Basically lately I have slowly become less & less motivated to train. Maybe the aches have gotten the better of me. The new role at work leaving me very tired as well. Boredom? Can't put my finger on it right now so I thought I'd give this a shot today

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marine-corps-tough-battlefield-lessons-you-can-take-to-the-gym.html

1) It's Matt 'Kroc' Kroczaleski 2) The man who invented Kroc rows 3) Jim Wendler is a fan/friend so that's good enough for me. I like the style of the progression on the main lifts but there is a lot of assistance which, I'm not a huge fan of. But it was still worth trying for one session. I left out the dumbbell pressing,Don't like them & the close grip (did these Monday)

Main lift

Bench press: couple of warm up sets then 65kg 5x10 (as shown in the progression chart working off 60% of 1rm)

Assistance

Incline bench: 50kg 2x8 40kg 1x8

Cable flyes (decline version): 3x10

Tricep push downs: 3x10

Tricep cable kick backs (dumbbell feel awkward for me): 3x20

Summary:

Was nice to do something different, I will admit. The program as a whole has a lot of volume. Can see why it is meant to be for advanced lifters. Right now I'm unsure as what I should do. I may use this, I may use 5/3/1 & add in some of the ideas, like rotating assistance each week.

What I do know is that I need to cut down on barbell work, for a while. Things to mull over for a few days before Monday hits.