How are you beating the heat?

Today marks the first day Portland, Oregon, will launch itself above 90 degrees, so I'm in hell. I moved here to get away from this crap. I woke a few hours before sunrise on Crematoria to soak up as much cool air as possible, do a little gardening, water the bejiggers out of everything, then crawl back inside and make sweet love to two air conditioners at once. I am a cold weather mammal, always have been. All my sports are winter sports--high altitude hiking, snowshoeing, figure skating. I perk up the second the leaves start to fall. I sleep with my bedroom windows wide open from Halloween to Easter. I only heat my house a few months of the year. As a child, I would get splitting headaches at summer camp from heat exhaustion while all the other kids were still going full throttle. I've learned to drink a lot of water, get enough salts, and seek out the shade constantly like a lioness on the Serengeti.

Yesterday at the gym, I listened politely to a lifting bud as he explained that anybody can get used to the heat over time. (He is tall, scrawny, built like a lizard, perfect for hot days.) I just as politely assured him that he was nucking futz because some of us move north for a reason. When you've got a lot of muscle, you're like a walking furnace. I'm like a Husky puppy: bring on the snow so I can roll around in it!

I've seen the weather map throbbing with 100+ daily highs over a lot of the United States. Are you in it? How have you been dealing? Is it affecting your workouts?

Baby moose playing in sprinkler:

Baby Herc, wishing for a sprinkler

Edited by Baby Hercules

I am smack dab in the middle of the midwest that is currently in a drought... 100+ temps with nasty heat indexs.... I have no air in my car so I am driving around with my windows down, gallon jug of ice water, and not wearing regulation scrubs to work cause well polyster doesn't breath!!!! Melons are my best friend for when I just can't bare the thought of drinking any water, spray myself with water while watering the flowers, sitting with all the drapes closed and AC blowing cold.... It isn't affecting my workouts to bad because I am finding out that now that I am not so overweight (101 lbs off me) my body can regulate better hell there are times I get so cold I have to go sit outside to warm up!!!!

Since I lost a bunch of weight it hasn't been as bad for me either, though I still hate it. When I was younger and being a typical ectomorph (5'9", 120 lbs) I LOVED hot hot summers like these. Now that I'm 165-170 (water goes up and down right now) I can't stand it. I do not step outside if I don't absolutely have to.

Our state record was broken a couple weeks ago. We hit 113 F. Fun stuff!!