Any Vegetable Gardeners?

KarakD.

I swear if this drought doesn't end asap my garden is going to die!!! I need that natural water not enhanced tap water!!! Still no tomatoes, peppers are finally starting to do something, 1 zucchini, gourds fried, green beans fried.... This was not the year for a garden

Mine was the reverse: wet and dark until summer finally started last week. Tomatoes are blooming but only three feet tall, peppers are leafy but not blooming at all, corn is only eighteen inches high but healthy, strawberries are down to last three or four berries. Zucchini plant has five leaves on it but it looks like it's ready to sprint. Heat is predicted for the next week. On your mark, get set....

Baby Herc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh so you hogged all the rain!!!!!! I swear I can water and 1/2" down the dirt is bone dry..... If it doesn't rain by 6:30 I will have to go out and water the garden. The ground is bone dry. Guess it is time to do a rain dance marathon.....

Every year I get 1 zucchini from my garden... if I want more I have to buy them Here is this year's zucchini. I don't know why they are always so big but all I can see is zucchini bread in my future hehe. I hope I have enough for a couple loaves that I can freeze for the winter. If not I will just buy a couple more

zucchini.jpg.01830bfd47623360c184d2263727b64d.jpg

Every year I get 1 zucchini from my garden... if I want more I have to buy them Here is this year's zucchini. I don't know why they are always so big but all I can see is zucchini bread in my future hehe. I hope I have enough for a couple loaves that I can freeze for the winter. If not I will just buy a couple more

They always told me that only the tiny zucchinis were tasty but I've harvested the big 'uns like the one in your picture and turned them into amazing zucchini bread. It's only when they become the size of a small child that the flavor begins to wane (I gave one to a friend once that was so large, she had to secure it in the front seat of her car with a seat belt!) Try adding a teaspoon of lemon zest and 1/4 t. of nutmeg to your recipe, it will transport you to new levels of ecstacy! Also, if you find a friend who needs to unload a bumper crop of zucchini, you can lightly saute 3/4" chunks of it in olive oil and a little garlic, let it cool a bit, dump it into baggies, stuff it deep in the freezer, then whip it out for the lasagna, briami, and chili season next winter.

Hmm, I'm getting hungry....

Baby Herc

The only furry things I've seen in my garden are squirrels, the neighbor cat, and once a super-sized Norway rat who lives under the other neighbor's house. We all seem to get along okay--the squirrels eat a few strawberries, the cat chases a few squirrels, and the rat pretty much keeps to the other side of the fence. He might be the reason my smaller bird bath water level goes down a quarter inch each night, though. It's all good.

What I'd really love to have is a little pond with frogs and toads.

Baby Herc

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so far I've got lots and lots of cucumbers fattening on a vine that I'm training along the top of a fence, plenty of Cherokee Purple, Heirloom Brandywine, and Sweet 100 tomatoes setting fruit, one pie pumpkin growing, plenty of Rainbow Lights Swiss Chard to carry me through to winter, a few sweet corn stalks, and an out of control mini-cantaloupe vine that looks like it's gonna feed the entire neighborhood. I've got a spoon all ready!

Baby Herc

The only furry things I've seen in my garden are squirrels, the neighbor cat, and once a super-sized Norway rat who lives under the other neighbor's house. We all seem to get along okay--the squirrels eat a few strawberries, the cat chases a few squirrels, and the rat pretty much keeps to the other side of the fence. He might be the reason my smaller bird bath water level goes down a quarter inch each night, though. It's all good.

What I'd really love to have is a little pond with frogs and toads.

Baby Herc

You just made me totally freak out for that frog & hate the zombie humans!

Fig...is not a veggie but it's SOOOO GOOOD!

My neighbors across the street have a large fig tree...and I have a ladder: It's a match made in heaven! They also have a huge blueberry bush, several Asian Pear Trees, pears, apples, and gooseberries. They said come over anytime. Woo-HOO!

In my own backyard are cucumbers, jalapenos, bell peppers, and baby watermelons expanding with every watering. Go, babies, go!

Baby Herc

• 3 weeks later...

Had great successes & major losses.

Excellent

*Artichokes were amazing

*Cherry Tomatoes still rocking out the fruit

*Heirloom Purple/Orange Carrots producing higher yeilds then expected

* Swiss Chard

Middle to Fail

*Potato crop is lower then expected but better then average.

*Sweet purple onions = near failure

Failed

* My heirloom canning tomatoes (only canned 12 pints) Killed by late Blight - that came early

* Spinach

* Baby French carrots were eaten by evil bunny

Heirloom Purple/Orange Carrots

Ooooooo, show pics! How is the flavor?

My Cherokee Purple's weighing over a pound a piece....

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2807/2012veggies2.jpg

An heirloom Brandywine gettin' all freaky....

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2830/2012veggies3web1.jpg

Personal-sized watermelons about a month away from lunch, grown in a patio pot.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1250/2012veggies1web1.jpg

Baby Herc