need help setting up program to lose weight and gain muscle

hi there im 6'3" 258 lbs, 37 years old. I have been a vegetarian for about 10 months. I am ready to burn this fat off and add some muscle. I would consider myself a newbie. What kind of workout schedule would be best? exercises? and how much cardio etc? how many calories? protein? etc. any help would be appreciated..

hi there im 6'3" 258 lbs, 37 years old. I have been a vegetarian for about 10 months. I am ready to burn this fat off and add some muscle. I would consider myself a newbie. What kind of workout schedule would be best? exercises? and how much cardio etc? how many calories? protein? etc. any help would be appreciated..

Heya, Draggin, how's it goin? Welcome! Lots of good info here. A good place to start is to assess where you are with every one of those things and build from there.

--What do you do already that gets your heart rate up? Are you doing a bit of cardio or are you starting from scratch?

--Have you ever lifted weights before? How did you like it? Did your body respond right away?

--I wouldn't worry too much about calories for now, you'll be burning a lot more once you start training, anyway, and it's important not to starve your muscles. Just make one or two changes that are easy to stick with, like cutting down on some naughty foods and adding protein smoothies after lifting. You can tweak it more as you go along. Just get lifting.

--Finally, and most importantly, what's your ultimate goal? Do you have a solid image of what you want to look like? Find some pics online that are close to what you want. It will help with visualization and goal setting and will give us all an idea of what you're going for. Some people in here are triathletes, some are body builders, some are powerlifters--and they all have different programs. Some ideas here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=196

Baby Herc

I workout maybe once or twice each week, like walk or zumba etc. I have lifted before but not for longer than a few weeks. I tried body for life a few years ago for a few weeks. I also tried p90x recently for a few weeks which was way too hard. I think I seen some minor progress with them both, probably more with body for life. My goals, well I want to look great and feel great. i dont want to be bulky but have some lean muscle.

I guess i would be starting from scratch pretty much.