I met one of the producers of my favorite show today and HBO

C.O.

I met one of the producers of Vice magazine's TV show The Vice Guide to Everything at Trader Joe's today of all places and had a chat with him. You can find a lot of their content online but the big news is that HBO has picked them up and Bill Mauer is involved. I am really excited. If you haven't seen the show or any of their documentaries they are much better than the magazine. The magazine is more entertainment the show is more investigative reporting documentary style. They go to some of the most interesting, dangerous, and tragic parts of the world where most reporters don't dare to venture like parts of Liberia and Libya and many other places. Here is the link to their website, the video, news, and travel sections are probably the best but a lot of it is very entertaining. Don't let the tarnished hipster image of the magazine sway you if you haven't watched any of the show or documentaries yet

http://www.vice.com/en_us

If you like features on travel to not-so-friendly parts of the world, you NEED to get Robert Young Pelton's "World's Most Dangerous Places" book. He has others that focus on smaller segments of the world, but that one is the best that I've read in his collection if you want something that's entertaining and has condensed coverage of various countries that are easy to get through in a reasonable amount of time. Probably one of the most interesting reads I've had in a long time, my only gripe being that he hasn't released an updated edition in a few years, but he's the undisuputed king of covering the conditions in nations where nobody in their right mind would normally step foot unless they had a death wish.