Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan's "Starting Over Again" Log
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:33 pm 
Stegosaurus

Thanks, Robert! Feels good to not be roasting every moment we're outdoors!

Hey, Herc! Once we get relocated, I'll document the move and get plenty of shots of the big guys to keep you happy for a while :) I'm sure it'll still be hot enough to require some partial undressing, so we'll see what we can do to help you out :)

Thought I was taking it easy today, but as tomorrow's going to be hectic, I had to get some upper back work in just in case I can't do it tomorrow. Hit the other gym nearby to stay in the AC as it was still 85% humidity here, I can deal with the temps in the 80s but high humidity screws with my mild asthma and just makes me need to change my shirt 3 times during one session to stay dry. Made it quick, 50 minutes total with minimal rest periods when possible -

Pull-ups -
1x5 @ bodyweight (still at 231 today, 235 clothed)
1x5 @ 45 lbs. added
3x3 @ 90 lbs. added, done as singles with just 3 seconds between each pull-up, working to cut out rest time and eventually make all 3 from a full hang
1x12 @ 45 lbs. added, done as 4 reps, rest 5 seconds and change grips, 4 more, rest 10 seconds and change grips, 4 to finish

1-arm barbell shrugs -
1x20 @ 135 lbs. each arm (strapped in, tought to do without)
1x15 @ 185 " "
1x12 @ 205 " "
1x10 @ 225 " "

1-arm seated cable row -
2x15 @ 140 lbs. each arm

1-arm cable shrugs -
2x30 each arm @ full stack

Seated row machine -
2x20 @ full stack

Cable face pulls -
3x20 @ 120 lbs.

That was plenty, will probably be suffering in the warehouse all night to get caught up tomorrow, but planning on leg training Tuesday!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:55 pm 
Gorilla

One word...Beast

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 pm 
Stegosaurus

Working toward beast status, VS! :D If things could go the way I'd like for the long-term, I'd work to get to my old strength levels at the same bodyweight of 231 lbs. (but preferably with about 10 lbs. more fat swapped out for muscle if I had my way, otherwise, I'm going to end up in the low 220s by the time I'm done). Body recomp has been going well, still got plenty of energy and down about 14 lbs. total without any real "dieting" and zero cardio, all in 2 months with plenty of slip-ups where I'll go out for a few margaritas and chips if the weather's nice enough to sit by a lake somewhere. I'm happy in that, when I take a look in the mirror, I look bigger than I have in ages even at a lower bodyweight, the lower back love handles are almost gone for the first time ever, and it's a great course to be on. If only that bit of gut in the front would finally disappear, I think I could fall over and die a happy man knowing I've finally managed it, but as I'm closing in on 40 years old, I have to expect that the last stubborn area will hold out until the final moments when it has no choice but to comply :D But, I plan to keep on track for the remainder of summer and fall, a shame that if things go on plan that I'll finally be in the ideal condition I want just as we head into winter, but I'll take 2-4 lbs. of fat loss per month without suffering for it vs. the traditional dieting, cardio and misery that I can't stand!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:35 pm 
Gorilla

VeganEssentials wrote:
Working toward beast status, VS! :D If things could go the way I'd like for the long-term, I'd work to get to my old strength levels at the same bodyweight of 231 lbs. (but preferably with about 10 lbs. more fat swapped out for muscle if I had my way, otherwise, I'm going to end up in the low 220s by the time I'm done). Body recomp has been going well, still got plenty of energy and down about 14 lbs. total without any real "dieting" and zero cardio, all in 2 months with plenty of slip-ups where I'll go out for a few margaritas and chips if the weather's nice enough to sit by a lake somewhere. I'm happy in that, when I take a look in the mirror, I look bigger than I have in ages even at a lower bodyweight, the lower back love handles are almost gone for the first time ever, and it's a great course to be on. If only that bit of gut in the front would finally disappear, I think I could fall over and die a happy man knowing I've finally managed it, but as I'm closing in on 40 years old, I have to expect that the last stubborn area will hold out until the final moments when it has no choice but to comply :D But, I plan to keep on track for the remainder of summer and fall, a shame that if things go on plan that I'll finally be in the ideal condition I want just as we head into winter, but I'll take 2-4 lbs. of fat loss per month without suffering for it vs. the traditional dieting, cardio and misery that I can't stand!

Loved reading this, very much how I'm thinking myself! I want to maybe drop 5kg then add more weight. I'm 5ft 10" so not all that tall, though I have a goal of weighing 95kg-100kg at some point.

Not going to overly track what I eat, on none training days I'm going to start skimming carbs & eating more nuts ect that's why I super setted last night, keep the heart rate up.

What type of things did you use to/you do eat now? Interested if you care to share?

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:21 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Good reading, solid training.

I like this journal, sounds like you have some cool goals locked in mate.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:25 pm 
Gorilla

veggiesasquatch wrote:
One word...Beast

This +1
:boxer:

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:39 pm 
Stegosaurus

Thanks, everyone :)

VS - For my "used to" foods, if it was vegan and tasted good to me, I ate it. Which is precisely why I always tend to gain weight quickly, when I'm not practicing self-control to some degree, I tend to go all-out for eating. These days, I'm eating a lot of Veggie Brothers meat alternatives (great vegan flank steaks, lemon garlic vegan chicken breasts, etc.), seitan, tofu, greens, beans, nuts and seeds, a few pieces of whole-grain toast with organic jam, a little soy yogurt for some good probiotics, the occasional piece of fruit here and there, and some Vega to round things out. Not a ton of variety primarily because I'm terrible in the kitchen and have never had much desire to fix that issue, so I still rely a lot on things that are convenient, or, are really easy to cook. So far it's working!

First, the good news, we seem to have finally locked in our new facility location, and should be starting the move next week. New place is a few miles further away from home than the last one (my drive time will go from a quick 6-7 minutes to about 12, unfortunately), but we're getting nearly 6700 sq. ft. of space, more than doubling what we're working with now. Had to spend Thursday night with the crew at a town hall meeting to get approval from the city to changne the zoning regulations, guy right before us got into a war of words with the village president after they refused to allow his new signage, so we were on edge that the mood had shifted and they'd give us grief. But, after 90 minutes of listening to the most boring talk about code regulations and issues with everyone else, it took all of 15 seconds for the new area to approve us to move in ASAP, so we're good to go. Just found out as well that we have a load of new equipment that will be coming in once we relocate, we might actually change from being exclusively a private facility to having some public hours now with the additions and extra space, so it'll be an interesting shift once we settle in.

Didn't get to train much this week again with heatwave and losing a day to a wedding (and the following day to nursing a bit of a hangover by eating everything in sight), but got in for a quick session last night for an hour until I was drenched in sweat and could barely move.

Weighted pull-ups -
1x5 @ bodyweight (237 lbs. with lots of water retention yesterday)
1x3 @ 50 lbs. added
1x2 @ 80 lbs. added
Went for my 100 lb. PR attempt, I think this time I finally was able to just get my chin over the bar, not perfect, but I'll give myself credit for it. Went for a second rep about 10 seconds later, eyes up to the bar but couldn't get my chin over it, so close, but it shows things are still moving forward.
2x10 @ 45 lbs. added on, done as singles with 2-3 seconds between each rep with a quick deload on the floor between

Standing overhead axle strict press -
1x10 @ empty 55 lb. axle
1x5 @ 145 lbs.
1x3 @ 175
1x2 @ 195
1x1 @ 205
1x1 @ 215
3x2 @ 225, done as one rep, rack it, rest 20 seconds and get the 2nd one
3x2 @ 215, done as regular doubles, no re-rack between
1x15 @ 145 lbs.

Barbell rows -
2x12 @ 235 lbs.

1-arm rows with green monster band looped around squat rack base, handle attached to other end, tension about 50 lbs. at start, around 100 lbs. at finish of pull -
2x20 each arm

Called it a day after that, had to catch my breath too much with the humidity and the heat was killing me, so it was a short one. Will FINALLY get my ass in to squat tomorrow, I hear it's going to get painfully hot here again this week, better get it done before I miss it again!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:24 pm 
Elephant

VeganEssentials wrote:
First, the good news, we seem to have finally locked in our new facility location, and should be starting the move next week. New place is a few miles further away from home than the last one (my drive time will go from a quick 6-7 minutes to about 12, unfortunately), but we're getting nearly 6700 sq. ft. of space, more than doubling what we're working with now. Had to spend Thursday night with the crew at a town hall meeting to get approval from the city to changne the zoning regulations, guy right before us got into a war of words with the village president after they refused to allow his new signage, so we were on edge that the mood had shifted and they'd give us grief. But, after 90 minutes of listening to the most boring talk about code regulations and issues with everyone else, it took all of 15 seconds for the new area to approve us to move in ASAP, so we're good to go. Just found out as well that we have a load of new equipment that will be coming in once we relocate, we might actually change from being exclusively a private facility to having some public hours now with the additions and extra space, so it'll be an interesting shift once we settle in.

Yaaaaaaaaaay! Photos ASAP!

veggiesasquatch wrote:
One word...Beast

That's what I've always called him, but coming from a sasquatch, you KNOW it's solid. :D

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:57 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Great pressing, wow! I did the same kind of stuff today but not quite as warm over here haha.

I'd love to watch someone row more than 2PPS for 12 reps as well, strong.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:48 pm 
Stegosaurus

Thanks, Mini Forklift! :)

Missed logging some sessions this past week, had a light squat day (forgot the weights, no need to log now), deadlift day a few days later doing 10x2 @ 335 lbs. along with some glute/ham raises and reverse hypers. Upper back day was last Friday, weighted pull-ups (3x5 @ 90 lbs. added on, taking 5-10 seconds between each rep), 1-arm DB rows (3x15 each arm @ 150 lb. DB) and some machine pulldowns, keeping it simple. Wanted to train as normal last night, but only was able to muster the energy in the high humidity to complete a quick photo shoot for a rush ad we're working on, which will probably use a pic like this:

Other shots were just using clothing posed with general lifting stuff, figure that an action shot is usually the best way to go :)

Might find time to train this evening if it doesn't stay close to 100 degrees again after the sun goes down (about 97 right now, we'll see how the night ends up), otherwise it's training tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:41 pm 
Elephant

VeganEssentials wrote:

I think you just found your updated avatar pic--hint, hint. :D

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:07 am 
Stegosaurus

That would mean remembering to resize it, Herc, and I'm awfully forgetful these days! :D

Quick chest and lower back session in extreme again -

Flat bench press with axle -
1x5 @ 145 lbs.
1x3 @ 195
1x2 @ 235
1x1 @ 265
1x1 @ 285
Put Slingshot on
2x2 @ 305
2x2 @ 310
2x2 @ 315
1x2 @ 320
1x1 @ 325
1x1 @ 330
Took off Slingshot
2x5 @ 250
2x15 @ 200 (done as 12 reps, rack and rest 10 seconds, finish 3 reps)

Deadlifts -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 225
1x2 @ 315
10x2 @ 345, all pulls comfortable and with good speed

Barbell good mornings -
2x15 to parallel@ 225 lbs.

Glute/ham raises -
2x25 @ bodyweight (233.5 this morning)

Head started to throb at that point, started to overheat, called it a night before getting in reverse hypers.

Should get upper back work in Friday before resuming gym equipment relocation that evening, maybe shoulders if my triceps feel up to it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:44 am 
Elephant

Love the pic!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:45 pm 
Stegosaurus

Hey, Seasiren!

Good to see you around again after all this time! Hope things are going a bit better for you physically these days, and that you'll be feeling even better in due time! :D

No training the past few days since deadlifting, been finishing the last of our gym relocation to the new spot which has taken up most of my time. Then, planned on using a free pass to a local place tonight while we're still wrapping things up, turns out they changed their Sunday closing time from 11 PM to 8 PM, and of course, I got there at 9 on the mark :x No lifting until tomorrow, I suppose, but I'll make the most of it when I get back out after work.

In the meantime, a few photos of the new place as it progresses toward being done!

Main lifting area with squat racks:

Most of the lower area, still in the works, but turf is almost fully in again and most of the racks set up:

Top view from mezzanine, double doord shown open up to 2nd half of the facility:

Dumbbell area under construction below Kirk's "office"

And now, the other half:

There's still some heavy machinery in here that SHOULD have been moved out prior to this weekend, but of course, no move goes as planned. So, we have to wait a few days for old tenant to get his gigantic cutting machines out and cleaned up, but that just gives us time to assemble the 15 or so pieces of equipment we need to put together to flush that room out once we're ready. There's more stuff that can't be seen, as that half of the facility is about 60' x 40' and as you can tell, this pic only shows about a third of the total space.

We expect to be up and running by Wednesday night, so fingers crossed that all goes well between now and then with no more surprises. New photos to come after completion!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:15 am 
Elephant

Wow! It looks fantastic!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 89  Next