Ryan's "Hope to compete again in 2014" log

Geez, Ryan, that heat sucks. I have relatives in Iowa and they are staying huddled inside with central air unless they have to venture out for food. Not having AC in the gym is not as bad as having it and not being able to use it, though. In Denver, the last place I lifted had a harpy of a manager who didn't think the weight room or basketball court needed cooling down at temperatures below 88 degrees, equal humidity. She never exercised, herself, and everyone hated her. I recently learned that she finally retired--I'm sure they threw a party but I doubt she comprehended exactly WHAT they were celebrating.

Hang in there, autumn is only three months away.

Baby Herc

Yeah, Herc, this weather is truly something fierce this summer - I thought last year was bad, but this one's off to an even worse start. Basically, as our facility is in an industrial warehouse, we don't have the option for AC in it, which must be really, really tough for the clients training during the day right now. Even though they can go outside any time between sets (or, are being trained outdoors), it's no improvement when you've got that blazing hot sun coming down on you! The fans we have don't help for squat with the high humidity, so we're just keeping our fingers crossed that next week will be better. They're finally predicting a slide down into the 80s again for daytime temps, but we've been hearing that one for a while, so I'll believe it when I see it. Just like all the predictions for rain that never came true, except for one 30 minute shower this morning that won't change the fact that my lawn looks more like color of the Sahara desert than anything resembling grass

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a random brainstorm but what about checking craigslist for a portable carport or one of those tents without sides? You could produce some shade, at least. Another idea that no one will argue with is to keep a bunch of kid's water pistols charged and ready outside. Squirtgun smackdowns every hour on the hour? Water balloon fights? Hand held plant misters? Or, hell, you could go all ancient-Greece-Olympian and work out completely naked. Of course, if you do, you MUST post photos...

Baby Herc

Hey, Herc!

We have plenty of shade as people go between the indoor and outoor areas frequently (not to mention, we have lots of fans set up and plenty of cold bottled water for everyone), I'm just pitching for that the next place we get, there's actually a shower area for once. Nothing would be better than being able to actually clean up immediately after training with a cool shower, MUCH better than having to drive home first!

Couldn't train this week much due to heat. 6 days in a row of 100+ temps, even hitting 112 here one day, completely out of line for usual summer heat in Wisconsin, but nothing we could do except sit around waiting for it to break. Finally dropped to the high 80s yesterday, which was not exactly "cool", but better than 100s, so I went in late to train for a quick bit, lower back and chest day -

Flat bench w/ axle -

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 195

1x2 @ 225

1x1 @ 265

Put on Slingshot

3x3 @ 300

3x5 @ 285

Wasn't feeling too strong today, heat was still sapping my energy. Not to mention, outdoor temps at 11 PM were only 75, inside the gym was still 84 and humid, not fun at all.

Deadlifts -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

10x5 @ 315, next week changes things up, lower sets/reps with more weight to try and get some actual strength back

Incline close-grip bench press -

1x5 @ 185, 2 second pause on chest each rep

2x15 @ 135, no pause

Weighted hyperextensions -

2x20 w/ 35 lb. short bar behind neck

Dips, first time in ages, found that someone brought in a new dip station with both angled and straight handles, so gave it a go -

2x15 @ bodyweight (down to 231 lbs. as of morning weigh-in)

Reverse hyperextensions -

2x25 @ 75 lbs.

Changing up the lower back work before long - next plan is doubles for deadlifts starting with 335, working to add 10 lbs. each week until I get close to 400. Want to be able to hit 405 easy and pain-free again by fall, then it's working back toward 500 injury-free.

Should be getting some leg work in tomorrow, otherwise will be doing back work if lower body is still a bit worn out!

Thanks, Robert! Feels good to not be roasting every moment we're outdoors!

Hey, Herc! Once we get relocated, I'll document the move and get plenty of shots of the big guys to keep you happy for a while I'm sure it'll still be hot enough to require some partial undressing, so we'll see what we can do to help you out

Thought I was taking it easy today, but as tomorrow's going to be hectic, I had to get some upper back work in just in case I can't do it tomorrow. Hit the other gym nearby to stay in the AC as it was still 85% humidity here, I can deal with the temps in the 80s but high humidity screws with my mild asthma and just makes me need to change my shirt 3 times during one session to stay dry. Made it quick, 50 minutes total with minimal rest periods when possible -

Pull-ups -

1x5 @ bodyweight (still at 231 today, 235 clothed)

1x5 @ 45 lbs. added

3x3 @ 90 lbs. added, done as singles with just 3 seconds between each pull-up, working to cut out rest time and eventually make all 3 from a full hang

1x12 @ 45 lbs. added, done as 4 reps, rest 5 seconds and change grips, 4 more, rest 10 seconds and change grips, 4 to finish

1-arm barbell shrugs -

1x20 @ 135 lbs. each arm (strapped in, tought to do without)

1x15 @ 185 " "

1x12 @ 205 " "

1x10 @ 225 " "

1-arm seated cable row -

2x15 @ 140 lbs. each arm

1-arm cable shrugs -

2x30 each arm @ full stack

Seated row machine -

2x20 @ full stack

Cable face pulls -

3x20 @ 120 lbs.

That was plenty, will probably be suffering in the warehouse all night to get caught up tomorrow, but planning on leg training Tuesday!

Working toward beast status, VS! If things could go the way I'd like for the long-term, I'd work to get to my old strength levels at the same bodyweight of 231 lbs. (but preferably with about 10 lbs. more fat swapped out for muscle if I had my way, otherwise, I'm going to end up in the low 220s by the time I'm done). Body recomp has been going well, still got plenty of energy and down about 14 lbs. total without any real "dieting" and zero cardio, all in 2 months with plenty of slip-ups where I'll go out for a few margaritas and chips if the weather's nice enough to sit by a lake somewhere. I'm happy in that, when I take a look in the mirror, I look bigger than I have in ages even at a lower bodyweight, the lower back love handles are almost gone for the first time ever, and it's a great course to be on. If only that bit of gut in the front would finally disappear, I think I could fall over and die a happy man knowing I've finally managed it, but as I'm closing in on 40 years old, I have to expect that the last stubborn area will hold out until the final moments when it has no choice but to comply But, I plan to keep on track for the remainder of summer and fall, a shame that if things go on plan that I'll finally be in the ideal condition I want just as we head into winter, but I'll take 2-4 lbs. of fat loss per month without suffering for it vs. the traditional dieting, cardio and misery that I can't stand!

Working toward beast status, VS! If things could go the way I'd like for the long-term, I'd work to get to my old strength levels at the same bodyweight of 231 lbs. (but preferably with about 10 lbs. more fat swapped out for muscle if I had my way, otherwise, I'm going to end up in the low 220s by the time I'm done). Body recomp has been going well, still got plenty of energy and down about 14 lbs. total without any real "dieting" and zero cardio, all in 2 months with plenty of slip-ups where I'll go out for a few margaritas and chips if the weather's nice enough to sit by a lake somewhere. I'm happy in that, when I take a look in the mirror, I look bigger than I have in ages even at a lower bodyweight, the lower back love handles are almost gone for the first time ever, and it's a great course to be on. If only that bit of gut in the front would finally disappear, I think I could fall over and die a happy man knowing I've finally managed it, but as I'm closing in on 40 years old, I have to expect that the last stubborn area will hold out until the final moments when it has no choice but to comply But, I plan to keep on track for the remainder of summer and fall, a shame that if things go on plan that I'll finally be in the ideal condition I want just as we head into winter, but I'll take 2-4 lbs. of fat loss per month without suffering for it vs. the traditional dieting, cardio and misery that I can't stand!

Loved reading this, very much how I'm thinking myself! I want to maybe drop 5kg then add more weight. I'm 5ft 10" so not all that tall, though I have a goal of weighing 95kg-100kg at some point.

Not going to overly track what I eat, on none training days I'm going to start skimming carbs & eating more nuts ect that's why I super setted last night, keep the heart rate up.

What type of things did you use to/you do eat now? Interested if you care to share?

Thanks, everyone

VS - For my "used to" foods, if it was vegan and tasted good to me, I ate it. Which is precisely why I always tend to gain weight quickly, when I'm not practicing self-control to some degree, I tend to go all-out for eating. These days, I'm eating a lot of Veggie Brothers meat alternatives (great vegan flank steaks, lemon garlic vegan chicken breasts, etc.), seitan, tofu, greens, beans, nuts and seeds, a few pieces of whole-grain toast with organic jam, a little soy yogurt for some good probiotics, the occasional piece of fruit here and there, and some Vega to round things out. Not a ton of variety primarily because I'm terrible in the kitchen and have never had much desire to fix that issue, so I still rely a lot on things that are convenient, or, are really easy to cook. So far it's working!

First, the good news, we seem to have finally locked in our new facility location, and should be starting the move next week. New place is a few miles further away from home than the last one (my drive time will go from a quick 6-7 minutes to about 12, unfortunately), but we're getting nearly 6700 sq. ft. of space, more than doubling what we're working with now. Had to spend Thursday night with the crew at a town hall meeting to get approval from the city to changne the zoning regulations, guy right before us got into a war of words with the village president after they refused to allow his new signage, so we were on edge that the mood had shifted and they'd give us grief. But, after 90 minutes of listening to the most boring talk about code regulations and issues with everyone else, it took all of 15 seconds for the new area to approve us to move in ASAP, so we're good to go. Just found out as well that we have a load of new equipment that will be coming in once we relocate, we might actually change from being exclusively a private facility to having some public hours now with the additions and extra space, so it'll be an interesting shift once we settle in.

Didn't get to train much this week again with heatwave and losing a day to a wedding (and the following day to nursing a bit of a hangover by eating everything in sight), but got in for a quick session last night for an hour until I was drenched in sweat and could barely move.

Weighted pull-ups -

1x5 @ bodyweight (237 lbs. with lots of water retention yesterday)

1x3 @ 50 lbs. added

1x2 @ 80 lbs. added

Went for my 100 lb. PR attempt, I think this time I finally was able to just get my chin over the bar, not perfect, but I'll give myself credit for it. Went for a second rep about 10 seconds later, eyes up to the bar but couldn't get my chin over it, so close, but it shows things are still moving forward.

2x10 @ 45 lbs. added on, done as singles with 2-3 seconds between each rep with a quick deload on the floor between

Standing overhead axle strict press -

1x10 @ empty 55 lb. axle

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 175

1x2 @ 195

1x1 @ 205

1x1 @ 215

3x2 @ 225, done as one rep, rack it, rest 20 seconds and get the 2nd one

3x2 @ 215, done as regular doubles, no re-rack between

1x15 @ 145 lbs.

Barbell rows -

2x12 @ 235 lbs.

1-arm rows with green monster band looped around squat rack base, handle attached to other end, tension about 50 lbs. at start, around 100 lbs. at finish of pull -

2x20 each arm

Called it a day after that, had to catch my breath too much with the humidity and the heat was killing me, so it was a short one. Will FINALLY get my ass in to squat tomorrow, I hear it's going to get painfully hot here again this week, better get it done before I miss it again!

First, the good news, we seem to have finally locked in our new facility location, and should be starting the move next week. New place is a few miles further away from home than the last one (my drive time will go from a quick 6-7 minutes to about 12, unfortunately), but we're getting nearly 6700 sq. ft. of space, more than doubling what we're working with now. Had to spend Thursday night with the crew at a town hall meeting to get approval from the city to changne the zoning regulations, guy right before us got into a war of words with the village president after they refused to allow his new signage, so we were on edge that the mood had shifted and they'd give us grief. But, after 90 minutes of listening to the most boring talk about code regulations and issues with everyone else, it took all of 15 seconds for the new area to approve us to move in ASAP, so we're good to go. Just found out as well that we have a load of new equipment that will be coming in once we relocate, we might actually change from being exclusively a private facility to having some public hours now with the additions and extra space, so it'll be an interesting shift once we settle in.

Yaaaaaaaaaay! Photos ASAP!

One word...Beast

That's what I've always called him, but coming from a sasquatch, you KNOW it's solid.

Baby Herc

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Mini Forklift!

Missed logging some sessions this past week, had a light squat day (forgot the weights, no need to log now), deadlift day a few days later doing 10x2 @ 335 lbs. along with some glute/ham raises and reverse hypers. Upper back day was last Friday, weighted pull-ups (3x5 @ 90 lbs. added on, taking 5-10 seconds between each rep), 1-arm DB rows (3x15 each arm @ 150 lb. DB) and some machine pulldowns, keeping it simple. Wanted to train as normal last night, but only was able to muster the energy in the high humidity to complete a quick photo shoot for a rush ad we're working on, which will probably use a pic like this:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l618/bigoldbag/OHP_1aFinished.jpg

Other shots were just using clothing posed with general lifting stuff, figure that an action shot is usually the best way to go

Might find time to train this evening if it doesn't stay close to 100 degrees again after the sun goes down (about 97 right now, we'll see how the night ends up), otherwise it's training tomorrow!

That would mean remembering to resize it, Herc, and I'm awfully forgetful these days!

Quick chest and lower back session in extreme again -

Flat bench press with axle -

1x5 @ 145 lbs.

1x3 @ 195

1x2 @ 235

1x1 @ 265

1x1 @ 285

Put Slingshot on

2x2 @ 305

2x2 @ 310

2x2 @ 315

1x2 @ 320

1x1 @ 325

1x1 @ 330

Took off Slingshot

2x5 @ 250

2x15 @ 200 (done as 12 reps, rack and rest 10 seconds, finish 3 reps)

Deadlifts -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x5 @ 225

1x2 @ 315

10x2 @ 345, all pulls comfortable and with good speed

Barbell good mornings -

2x15 to parallel@ 225 lbs.

Glute/ham raises -

2x25 @ bodyweight (233.5 this morning)

Head started to throb at that point, started to overheat, called it a night before getting in reverse hypers.

Should get upper back work in Friday before resuming gym equipment relocation that evening, maybe shoulders if my triceps feel up to it!

Hey, Seasiren!

Good to see you around again after all this time! Hope things are going a bit better for you physically these days, and that you'll be feeling even better in due time!

No training the past few days since deadlifting, been finishing the last of our gym relocation to the new spot which has taken up most of my time. Then, planned on using a free pass to a local place tonight while we're still wrapping things up, turns out they changed their Sunday closing time from 11 PM to 8 PM, and of course, I got there at 9 on the mark No lifting until tomorrow, I suppose, but I'll make the most of it when I get back out after work.

In the meantime, a few photos of the new place as it progresses toward being done!

Main lifting area with squat racks:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/484092_4357594820752_970147795_n.jpg

Most of the lower area, still in the works, but turf is almost fully in again and most of the racks set up:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/488072_4357592180686_2027746338_n.jpg

Top view from mezzanine, double doord shown open up to 2nd half of the facility:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/557083_4357594060733_1432180329_n.jpg

Dumbbell area under construction below Kirk's "office"

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/582170_4357592660698_790777820_n.jpg

And now, the other half:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/555748_4357591620672_70931877_n.jpg

There's still some heavy machinery in here that SHOULD have been moved out prior to this weekend, but of course, no move goes as planned. So, we have to wait a few days for old tenant to get his gigantic cutting machines out and cleaned up, but that just gives us time to assemble the 15 or so pieces of equipment we need to put together to flush that room out once we're ready. There's more stuff that can't be seen, as that half of the facility is about 60' x 40' and as you can tell, this pic only shows about a third of the total space.

We expect to be up and running by Wednesday night, so fingers crossed that all goes well between now and then with no more surprises. New photos to come after completion!

Thanks, asparagus! It's coming along nicely, but still will be about 7-10 days before the other side is complete. We're setting up the center for group classes as one of our members wants to run cardio sessions in the afternoon/early evening, and the outside will house the 20+ machines we've accumulated plus all the strongman implements as well. It'll be awesome once completely done, I can't wait to see how things turn out when it's all in place.

Quick leg/chest session tonight amid the 87 degree gym temps with 70% humidity (storm just a bit north of us is ramping the humidity rapidly tonight!)

Squats, all 2" or more below parallel -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x3 @ 185

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 275

1x2 @ 315

10x2 @ 330

In between, I did my benching, regular bar this time instead of axle -

1x5 @ 135 lbs.

1x3 @ 185

1x2 @ 225

1x2 @ 245

1x1 @ 265

1x1 @ 285

10x5 @ 225, alternating between grips of torso width, 3" wider than torso, and 6" wider than torso (each hand 6" out from original torso width position)

Kept the pace up, just about 45-60 seconds rest between working sets, wrapped up with 2x25 reverse hypers with a light 50 lbs. and 2x25 close grip bench sets @ 135 lbs. to finish.

Dumped some cold water over my head to keep from passing out afterward, called it a day.

I'll likely be gone for some time from posting, got a lot on my plate these days that's dominating every free moment now as well as for the next 3 months, and stress is at an all-time high to make it even more grueling. Going to keep training as normal even if I don't log anything (getting in for my 11 PM sessions when able), but probably won't be frequenting this or any other sites online for a few months while I get some large projects complete and take care of what's most important these days to keep the distractions away. Best to everyone, hopefully I'll be back again in the fall or winter!

• 5 weeks later...

Popping in for a quick log update -

Still working to rebuild the squat and DL strength, last week was a good week for pulling, did 5x2 @ 375 followed by 2x10 @ 315, so I'm guessing that I'm good for 400 easily enough now, onward back to 500+ slow and steady. No rush, not expecting to get to 500+ until next spring, but it's nice to not feel like my lower back is going to snap in half as it did at the start of the year.

Squats, have had to change up a bit as the deads are leaving me fairly fried, last week was 330, 335, 340, 345 and 350x5, now will be alternating light/heavy weeks with squats and deads to prevent my recovery from taking a nosedive. Last night, changed gears to safety squat bar work, did 250, 255, 260, 265, 270 and 275x10, hands on support beams in rack to allow rock-bottom depth and no tipping forward, upped to 3x5 @ 315 afterward and called it a day.

Overhead strength is stil holding solid, managed a fairly easy 240 strict press with the axle last week, making it officially 10 lbs. over bodyweight without leg drive, which was a first. I think when I hit my PR strict press of 250, I weighed abotu 3 lbs. over that number, so it's nice to finally be able to strict press more than I weigh for once!

Gym is still progressing nicely, they're FINALLY putting in our new bathroom this week so we don't have to walk down to another section of the warehouse in another unit as we've been doing all month so far. Got a TON of new equipment and plates in as well that we'll be setting up as soon as the bathroom is finished and we can paint the floors in that room. We managed to acquire 6 more lifting platforms, about 2500 lbs. more in bumper plates, about a half dozen more assorted benches and power racks, plus a few more Hammer Strength machines for good measure. Right now, the 2nd half of the facility looks like an iron scrapyard until we get it all put together and set up, hopefully in about a week it's going to be awesome on both sides of the facility, pics will come when it's finally done!