pre-workout nutrition

Any suggestions for pre-work out nutrition? I am finding myself very hungry in the gym and losing energy at the end of my workouts. Example: today's workout was a 30 minute run with 40 mins of shoulders/abs. Pre-workout was 1/2c oatmeal and 4 strawberries. I burn about 550cals during my workouts. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

My preworkout meals differ depending on if I go to the gym after breakfast or after midday:

Breakfast

300 calories steel-cut oatmeal

250 calories scrambled tofu

100 calories banana

Midday

200 calories wheat bread

100 calories nut butter

100 calories tofurkey

100 calories apple

130 calories scoop of brown rice protein

And tons of water with each meal and leading up to the gym so my muscles are fed. Back in the day I used to hit the gym 2.5 hours after my preworkout meal, but lately I've been hitting the gym sooner and sooner because of the same problem you described. Now I usually take my PWO exactly 1.5 hours after my preworkout meal. This way I feel that the energy from the complex carbohydrates is slowly feeding me up to the very end of my lift.

Buff: pre-workout meal 4am. Workout starts at 5am.

Veggie: I forgot about BCAAs. I will add those back in. I hit cardio about 5 days a week. I can't seem to handle a full cup of oats pre-workout, too hard on my stomach.

An hour isn't really enough time, I allowed almost 2.5 the other days & when I hit some weighted side bends I was mini sicking:/

On a serious note; if I train on a day off usually I eat round 8:00, set off at 10:30 & finish by say 12:00.

15 mine before I'll down 10g of bcaa & about 5 right after, simply because I haven't eaten much. If its where I'm in on an evening/after a night shift & I've eaten plenty of food I just use 5g in the morning & post workout. Also things like this are awesome!

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/exceed

A good pre workout meal I kinda stumbled on is this: Wholewheat bagel, banana & agave syrup with PB

veggie: I wish I had more time for pre-workout meal but I am up at 4am and in the gym by 5am. I think I am going to go back to 2sc of powder (rice/hemp/gemma) with one banana and 2 scoops of BCAAs. That is what I used to use and for some reason I stopped using that as my pre-workout meal. I think it was because I thought I was too low on carbs pre-workout but I think I really need to get those BCAAs in. I will try that over the next couple of days and see if that works. If it is not enough I will add in 1/2c oats also. Thanks for the feedback.

I started drinking 20 grams of protein (pea or rice) along with my breakfast of quinoa and almond milk. I feel like the protein has helped me keep up my endurance and strength for my morning workouts.

For the past three days I started drinking 30 grams (15 grams of actual protein) of hemp protein first thing in the morning and I've found that it fills me up so much that I don't have room for my breakfast. I've only worked out twice during this time but my energy has been great so far.

I also take 5 grams of BCAAs right before my workout and I feel that helps too.

Protein is great and all, but if you aren't getting enough carbs your body will start converting proteins to burn for energy and the process will make you feel sluggish. I take that information and just say, "Ok, I'll go high carb (1000(g)/day from mostly fruits)" and only take in a very moderate amount of protein (70-80(g)). You do what you feel is best for you, but if you are going high protein and low carb you will feel sluggish, it comes with the territory.

You could always rely on stimulants, coffee, tea, chocolate, pop, NO2. That may not be a good idea, but it's where many people turn.

Pre bed meals I just take a home made protein bar or a shake, I can eat well so I don't do a pre bed anymore.

When I did I'd just have something like a oat topped wholemeal bagel with PB. I'd get two down me with loads of PB & drink a pint of milk (usually rice milk).

My advice is to try eating a bigger meal post workout, if you can. Failing that you have the option of using higher calorie foods if you struggle to eat.

A fav of mine is pesto, wham that over 120gram of pasta. If you have a protein shake as a snack during the day, pre make it & add 2 bananas...whizz it up. That's an extra 200ish calories with little effort.

It's things like adding hummus to a fake cheese/meat salad sandwich. 50 calories here, 30 there soon stocks up.

My gym pal isnt a big eater (he eats meat) so he cooks in cocoanut oil, butter ect obviously this isn't our path but the idea is sound. He is doing very well with this method.

How often are your cardio/gym sessions? Put up a typical week of cardio/weights & a typical days worth of food:)

Read up on carb back loading as you eat last rather early. You have almost 12 hrs without food.

Typical week of training: 2x per week 1 hour of spinning; 2x per week 30 min run with 45 mins of weight training, 1-2x per week 1 hour of fitness routine training; 5x per week 50 push ups, 50 v-ups, 50 bench dips

typical food day: 1/2c oatmeal and 2c coffee pre-workout; post workout 1/2c oatmeal 2 sc powder, some strawberries, 9am apple, 12:00 2 cups pumpkin and 2 c green beans; 3pm apple, 5:30 large bowl of romaine lettuce steamed broccoli with 1T of flax oil and balsamic vinegar, sometimes I add seitan and then sometimes 2 sc powder.

veggie: Well I worked on it yesterday and I got down 2200 cals. That was tough! What am I training for? Well, I might do a fitness comp in October but undecided right now. I have noticed that I have put alot more muscle on my upper body this year which I really am happy with. So, I am not sure right now. I like to train to feel good so that is my focus right now. Train because I love it.

Went to 2 sc protein powder (hemp/rice/gemma) 8 grams BCAA and one banana pre-workout. Huge improvement! I think that I really need those BCAAs pre and post workout. Post workout is 2sc powder 4grams BCAAs and 1c oatmeal. Been strong the last 3 days. Thanks for all of the feedback.