Bulking phase

Sory mate, I was lol'ing reading about your leg session. Mine was exactly the same a day or two ago, you do come up against them every now and then but despite being shit at the time I think we can still triggerr some response from them. How long did your 2 mile run take you?

I thought I'd repost this in your jounal as you might find parts of interesting, just explaining my rationale for why adding in a light bench session ever now and then could be a good thing:

IMO, light bench days also help to open up the chest (opposite of the cumulative effect of heavier benching). I see this as beneficial in terms of strength/muscle development because muscle strength has a direct correlation with the cross directional size of the muscle. Light stretching/benching will help to open up the pectoralis major as well as offering needed relief on the tendons. While your bench continues to increase, the natural increases in muscle mass occur but your tendons progress at a much slower rate; this can become problematic as the vulnerability of the tendons become a higher risk factor due to the misalignment of collagen fibrils. Tendons become completely secondary to muscles in terms of strength and I can see how some physio's today think that this 'light benching' work offers some conditioning to the tendons that it otherwise wouldn't get, allowing for a little more 'proportionate' growth as well as possibly slightly reducing injury risk.

Have a great weekend, you training or have anything planned?

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit bro, not good. What happened?
what happene

Sat having a break early hrs of Friday morning, the air#con kicked in & must of blew something into my eye. Was immediately irritated, sore & scratchy. Put up with it but got worse, Am ok been checked out. Thanks for asking

As it's my long week of work next week & I last trained Thurs I thought I may as well go in & get a day a head while I had time. Last trained back a week ago to so no real harm...

Back workout

Deads light & not programmed

Mainlift:

Deadlift: all 5 reps 60kg 70kg 80kg 100kg x2

Assistance

Pull ups: various grips 5x10

Barbell rows: 60kg 3x8 (been a while since I did these so went light)

Kroc row: 24kg dumbbell 25 reps per arm

T-bar row: 40kg x8 50kg 2x8 (again not done these for an age so backed off a little)

Summary

Must be my body fighting off my current ailment because I had little energy after the barbell rows, literally soaked through by the time I came out the rack. I'm really not enjoying lifting right now, at all

Going to drag it out till August, have a week off/away & hopefully go again.

Long & busy day at work. New role really is demanding at times, more so it being Monday with office/manager's in. We also have a huge audit this week, basically if we fail we cannot trade (well we get a month to sort the issues but we usually pass very well) so it's shit hitting the fan time.

Speaking of which I myself was like shit in a field today, everywhere was I.

Cycle 1 week 2 (3x3)

Main lift:

OHP: (warm up sets all 5 reps 20kg 25kg 30kg) 35kg x3 40kg x3 45kg x3+6

Assistance (based off Matt Kroc's program):

Barbell curls super set with OHP: x2 warm up sets then 30kg 3x10

Barbell shrugs (no straps): 70kg x15 80kg x15 85kg x15

Front plate raise: 15kg plate 3x15

Hammer curls super set with front plate raise: 12kg dumbbells 3x12

Rear raises: 8kg dumbbells 3x15

Ab's:

Side bends with 20kg plate 35 reps, Hammer strength crunch frame +15kg 35 reps, hanging knee raises 35 reps

Summary:

Really enjoyed this tonight, the supet setting kept the work intense & the workout well under an hour, perfect. Still feeling out where I'am in regards to the weight on my assistance lifts, I know I'm lifting lighter atm but I don't want to be a hero & rush a head. Didn't push the OHP as much as usual as I knew there was a lot of reps to come after.

Post work out grub:

x2 protein shake with 5grams of bcaa/glutamine/creatine

then once I go home half a block of tofu stir fried with a whole pack of veggie, peanut oil & a cup of brown rice. Followed by half a tin of kidney beans & mixed salad, dark choc alpro soya desert

Todays sound track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o5jLQcoAVM

If you're starting to feel a bit worn down and not liking the lifting too much at the moment, what do you think of Wendler's suggestion of doing a 2-day/week split? It would definitely give you a bit more recovery time, and with the stress from work that might be a good short-term solution.

Do you ever take your pulse rate mate?

I just posted about it in my journal ~ I'm normally in the mid 40's but yesterday woke up with a HR in the 70's. Felt fine at the time but because of that I decided not to train. Sure enough, turns out I ended up getting a bit of a gastric bug. Was back down to the high 50's today and feeling much better.

If you know what your normal range is then you can easily tell when you are starting to either become sick and/or overtrained; IMHO it's an extrememely reliable way to monitor things. Just throwing that out there MF.

If you're starting to feel a bit worn down and not liking the lifting too much at the moment, what do you think of Wendler's suggestion of doing a 2-day/week split? It would definitely give you a bit more recovery time, and with the stress from work that might be a good short-term solution.

Thanks for the post. Lifting two days a week would not be very productive for me though

Thurs-12th-July Cycle 1 week 2 (3x3)

Main lift:

Bench press: (warm up sets all 5 reps 37.5kg 45kg 55kg) 65 x3 72.5 x3 82.5 x3+6

Assistance

Close grip bench (programmed): 42.5kg x8 50kg x8 57.5kg x6

Incline bench (programmed): 42.5kg x8 50kg x8 57.5kg x6

Push downs: 45 plate x10 55 plate x10 65 plate x10

dumbbell press: 24kg's 3x8

Dumbbell incline flyes: 18kg's 3x15

Tricep work various things like kick backs, head knockers until I got 60 reps...no rest.

Fri-13th-July (3x3)

Main lift:

Squats: (warm up sets all 5 reps 50kg 65kg 75kg) 87.5kg x5 100kg x3 122.5kg x3

Assistance

Hypers: 4x10

Leg press: 150kg 2x15 200kg 1x15

stiff legged deads dumbbell version: 24kg's 2x20

Leg curls: various weights 3x15

Ab work both day.