Bodybuilder to triathlete

It finally happened. After years of heavy iron I have an injury that prohibits me from lifting serious iron. By serious I mean any. So I asked my therapist what I could do. It turns out I can bike. I can run. I can swim. Since I can't compete as a bodybuilder and all I can do is the sort of stuff triathletes do, I decided to start training for a full length triathalon. So I am shopping for advice. Thanks in advance.

I assume if you have been bodybuilding that you are carrying a fair amount of muscle mass. If you want to change to a triathlete I would think the first thing you would want to do is drop some muscle, especially in the upper body for the biking and running part. Muscles require oxygen, so carrying more muscle in the cardio intense/endurance sports involved in triathalons will require your heart to pump more oxygen thus causing your heart to have to work harder.

Awesome!

Great to hear from you Steve. I enjoyed competing with you a few years back.

All the best with your new pursuits!

There is a large and growing vegan triathlete community. All the best as you connect with others.

-Robert

In terms of transitioning from BB'ing to triathlon it shouldn't be too difficult to be honest. Be prepared to drop some muscle mass, start up relatively easy with the aerobic side of things and you might need to tweak your macros and daily calorie requirements.

I run marathons/ultramarathons, race triathlons and cycle competitively BUT my other sport is powerlifting, although I admit I do like having the look of a bodybuilder. My main advice to you would be to make sure you are getting enough high quality calories in ~ it's really easy to underestimate how much you are eating Vs the calories that you are burning. Endurance training burns a lot!

All the best MF.

• 3 weeks later...