Any good bodybuilding books?

Robert Cheeke who started this site has a book on vegan bodybuilding. He has some information in it on raw foods.

http://veganproteins.com/vegan-protein-shop/vegan-bodybuilding-book.html

Here is pretty big raw foods guy that has a lot of information on his site, Chris Califano http://www.thefirstsupper.com/fruitbuildsmusclebest.html

Charlie Able is an 80/10/10 bodybuilder, here is one of his lectures. He's not massive, but at 56:00 he does some posing, and he's not bad.

Are you Bob McCauley? If so I might feel a little awkward saying this, but this is my opinion.

I've never heard of him, or the book, but from what I can tell from Google, he's an endurance athlete that also practices martial arts. His writings might provide a basis for a healthy diet/eating plan. The only thing I'm Leary of is that he's writing a book about how we need these super foods/ionized water/products and guess what???? He's selling them. I enjoy a raw food diet and I get stronger ever time I touch the weights and I don't use Chlorella and Spirulina. I'm not saying I wouldn't use them, or that they aren't beneficial in athletics and bodybuilding, but just that I'm getting the results that I want without using them.

Maybe after you read it you can let us know what you think of it, and if you find it beneficial.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh not really. Don't get hung up on the vegan bias too much, that will just make you miss out on other great reads.

Check out:

Powerlifting:

5/3/1=Jim Wendler

The Man, the myth, the method=Ed Coan

Bodybuilding:

Of course Roberts Book

Starting Strength-Mark Rippentoe

Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding=Schwarzenegger...A classic for a beginner

Bodyweight:

You Are your own Gym=Mark Lauren

Convict Conditioning 1 and 2=Paul Coach Wade

The NSCA's essentials of strength and conditioning has a great chapter about periodization and program design for all sorts of different goals including bodybuilding. The book is to teach you how to better train your clients but it is also extremely useful for expanding your knowledge on how to better train yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely recommend Roberts book, so does that make a fourth? Haha. however, I own and read McCauley's book and as much as I am sure some people could benefit, it wasn't overly informative and not "truly" a bodybuilding book IMHO. If you are interested about Raw foods, the Live Food Factor by Susan Schenk will change the way you look at food - it was the book that changed my diet forever about 4 years ago. She lightly touches on how her husband was into body building and had success while on a raw vegan diet. Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

So many great books to choose from!

I guess if I had to pick then my stand out favourites would be...

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/103980000/103983364.jpg

http://articles.elitefts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/VAULT-PIC-4502.jpg

Also up there would be Robert's book obviously, Wendler's '5/3/1' and I'm also really enjoying reading Brandon Lilly's 'The Cube Method' at the moment.

I think Arnold's book was mostly ghostwritten, and from what I remember the nutrition advice wasn't that great. He did have a great physique but remember he was on grams of testosterone and dianabol, according to some sources he took it since the age of 13. impossible to build a body like that and still maintain health.

i will post more good books tomorrow, too tired right now

I think Arnold's book was mostly ghostwritten, and from what I remember the nutrition advice wasn't that great. He did have a great physique but remember he was on grams of testosterone and dianabol, according to some sources he took it since the age of 13. impossible to build a body like that and still maintain health.

i will post more good books tomorrow, too tired right now

Bolded part is completely inaccurate.

What makes you think that Arnold's Bodybuilding Encyclopedia was ghostwritten

cover says "with Bill Dobbins" and i'll bet you Billy did most of the writing.

speculating on his drug use cannot be said to be "completely inaccurate" as no one really knows what or how much he took. according to one biographer he took dbol since 13. the point i guess i was trying to make is that following trainign advice for the genetically-enhanced is silly.

• 1 month later...

Any of the Frank Zane books . . . while he is not a Vegan, he emphasizes the importance of the mind in bodybuilding, even talking about the relevance of meditation. He was on the forefront of utiziling "out of the box" training and recovery techniques for his competitions. Having a smaller frame, he had to be "on point" to be successful and was known as "the chemist", not only for his background as a high school chemistry teacher, but for his knowledge and use of supplementation/strict dieting patterns. Has always emphasized the importance of symmetry over mass in bodybuilding . . . his latest book is appropriately titled "Symmetry".