US Olympic uniforms are made in China

C.O.

Yeah, it is annoying and embarrassing really as a country, but I agree not surprising.

What is suprising to me is that the politicians are so surprised over this?! Where have they been the last 10 yrs? Do they not realize that almost every textile mill in the country as closed down and it's almost impossible to find a piece of clothing made in the USA.

Yeah, it is annoying and embarrassing really as a country, but I agree not surprising.

What is suprising to me is that the politicians are so surprised over this?! Where have they been the last 10 yrs? Do they not realize that almost every textile mill in the country as closed down and it's almost impossible to find a piece of clothing made in the USA.

Nothing but a tool for the Politicians to get all the wackos in an uproar.

Nevermind the fact that most of the wackos all shop at walmart for the low, low prices.

The 'China production' debate is an interesting one. I don't care one bit where my clothes are made, as long as they are made in a sustainable way and with fair labor practices. Of course, this is pretty dang hard to verify when your clothes are made as far away as China so I think the most important thing is to buy from a supplier that has transparency and accountability.

As far as the 'losing jobs to China' nonsense, well, that's a different debate.

Sad its 2012 and there are still so many sweatshops out there. I guess if you take into account all the other much more horrible things going on in the world sweatshops aren't the first problem that needs to be tackled... deep breaths.

What is suprising to me is that the politicians are so surprised over this?! Where have they been the last 10 yrs?

You've got to go back more than that - from people in the footwear and clothing industries I've spoken with over the years, most of them are still shaking their fists at Clinton for his work via NAFTA (pushing more garment manufacturing to Mexico and Central American nations) and giving China "Most Favored Trade" status that started the mad rush to move factories overseas during the early to mid 90s (which destroyed the market for US footwear manufacturing except for high-end product or Los Angeles / NYC sweatshop made items).

I'm sure it goes back further than that with even more catalysts, but if I've heard one era that smaller US-based garment and footwear manufacturers have complained about, most of them would like to wipe the 90s era of "Get the hell out of the USA and you'll save a fortune!" right out of existence as that's when many of them started to suffer the most. Not the big companies, of course, as they're the ones that moved their manufacturing, but as the influx of cheaply made goods came rushing in during the 90s and early 2000s, it became really tough for them to compete, and their numbers have been shrinking ever since.

Nevermind the fact that most of the wackos all shop at walmart for the low, low prices.

Most of the people I know who shop at Wal-Mart are the ones who are being squeezed out of the middle class into being poorer with every year, and they're definitely not "wackos". Lots of good people out there who are barely making ends meet who have to choose between new items from cheap sources or shopping exclusively at thrift stores, and not everyone is a fan of second-hand goods for all their wearables. With a declining economy and fewer job options to make a solid living without a college education (and, fewer jobs now for those with degrees), it's not an easy thing to convince someone scraping by on $12/hour with kids at home to spend $25 on an American Apparel t-shirt and $60 on a pair of organic fair-trade cotton yoga pants

Most of the people I know who shop at Wal-Mart are the ones who are being squeezed out of the middle class into being poorer with every year, and they're definitely not "wackos". Lots of good people out there who are barely making ends meet who have to choose between new items from cheap sources or shopping exclusively at thrift stores, and not everyone is a fan of second-hand goods for all their wearables.

^ +1

I really hate Wal-Mart and I'm not a fan of some of the likes that shop there, but I have to do what I have to do. So are some others that are there and I try not to judge anyone. The ones that don't look like they should be on peopleofwalmart.com, anyway. ROFL!

What is suprising to me is that the politicians are so surprised over this?! Where have they been the last 10 yrs?

You've got to go back more than that - from people in the footwear and clothing industries I've spoken with over the years, most of them are still shaking their fists at Clinton for his work via NAFTA (pushing more garment manufacturing to Mexico and Central American nations) and giving China "Most Favored Trade" status that started the mad rush to move factories overseas during the early to mid 90s (which destroyed the market for US footwear manufacturing except for high-end product or Los Angeles / NYC sweatshop made items). .

You are absolutely correct that it goes back further than 10 yrs. NAFTA does seem to be the start of it, but I said 10yrs because that is when we really started seeing the mass closings of the textile mills in the south. I guess it took that long for NAFTA to really cause its effect.

I remember watching the 1992 presidential debate between Bush Sr. and Clinton and they both were in support of NAFTA as were most all politicians at that time. There was only one guy in the debate who was against it, Perot. And he warned if NAFTA went through we would hear a "sucking sound" of the jobs leaving this country. Well it didn't happen immediately, but it has come to pass that he was correct after all. I remember many tv/radio show host making fun of his statement on the topic back then.

Most of the people I know who shop at Wal-Mart are the ones who are being squeezed out of the middle class into being poorer with every year, and they're definitely not "wackos". Lots of good people out there who are barely making ends meet who have to choose between new items from cheap sources or shopping exclusively at thrift stores, and not everyone is a fan of second-hand goods for all their wearables. With a declining economy and fewer job options to make a solid living without a college education (and, fewer jobs now for those with degrees), it's not an easy thing to convince someone scraping by on $12/hour with kids at home to spend $25 on an American Apparel t-shirt and $60 on a pair of organic fair-trade cotton yoga pants

Believe it or not there are great places to get good kids clothes that do not have to be purchased at Walmart.

I buy lots from Yard Sales or this great place Thrift store called: "Unique Thrift"

Unique Thrift is run by the Vietnam Vets & is just amazing.

I do not shop at Walmart & avoid Target like the plague. Walmart & Target are unethical, they pay slave labor and destory endangered Forrests all for "Cheap Goods" & "Fast Profit"

Believe it or not there are great places to get good kids clothes that do not have to be purchased at Walmart.

I buy lots from Yard Sales or this great place Thrift store called: "Unique Thrift"

Unique Thrift is run by the Vietnam Vets & is just amazing.

I do not shop at Walmart & avoid Target like the plague. Walmart & Target are unethical, they pay slave labor and destory endangered Forrests all for "Cheap Goods" & "Fast Profit"

I'm not saying that there aren't other options, but where I live, it's Wal-Mart or thrift stores, and like I mentioned, there are many people who aren't always wanting to buy second-hand, or, don't have the same amount of free time and travel abilities to "shop around" as easily as others. The allure of Wal-Mart is simple to figure out - you can get your groceries, home goods, clothing and everything else in one place (and pay less for it than anywhere else), and when someone is struggling but wants new items, many times it's the only option they have available. I'm not saying Wal-Mart is good, but for a certain demographic of people in a specific financial range, it's their shop of choice because it gives them options that they don't find in their price range elsewhere.

I just was trying to point out that it's not really reasonable to make inferences about someone being a "wacko" just because they're low on finances and choose to shop at the place that gives them the most for their dollar. The ethics we may have don't spread across the board to all others, many people either don't know about some of the practices of these stores or simply don't care because without such options, they only have less to choose from, which they view as bad. You have to also consider, if the majority of people aren't giving a hoot about what they eat because they're concerned with cost and convenience over health, is it REALLY reasonable to expect that they're going to be concerned with what Wal-Mart does to keep their prices as low as they do?