becoming a vegan for an obese person

eric

Hello my name is eric and i am 406 lbs down from 507lbs.i have lost this weight through diet and exercise and am at a plateau.i cant get out of these 400s.i work out 5 days week in the gym and lift weights and cardio.i have seen a few documentaries (knives over forks,fat sick and nearly dead,food matters) and like the fact that plant based diets seem like after all these years of abuse to my body is the way i need to go.i have lost weight but i am still very heavy.im 6ft 3in and feel better than i did at over 500 pounds but know i have a long trial to reach optimal health.my question is does anyone know of someone my weight or close to it who tranfered over to a vegan life and have did it safely.i so far have stopped red meat and poultry.i am only doing fish and eggs and eggs along with lots of veggies and fruits and nuts and grains.i need help because to live a vegan lifestyle is what i want.i believe there is where optimal health is.thankyou to all.bye

Hello my name is eric and i am 406 lbs down from 507lbs.i have lost this weight through diet and exercise and am at a plateau.i cant get out of these 400s.i work out 5 days week in the gym and lift weights and cardio.i have seen a few documentaries (knives over forks,fat sick and nearly dead,food matters) and like the fact that plant based diets seem like after all these years of abuse to my body is the way i need to go.i have lost weight but i am still very heavy.im 6ft 3in and feel better than i did at over 500 pounds but know i have a long trial to reach optimal health.my question is does anyone know of someone my weight or close to it who tranfered over to a vegan life and have did it safely.i so far have stopped red meat and poultry.i am only doing fish and eggs and eggs along with lots of veggies and fruits and nuts and grains.i need help because to live a vegan lifestyle is what i want.i believe there is where optimal health is.thankyou to all.bye

Eric, you are amazing! That's a big change to make, it affects all aspects of your life--physical body, emotional state, how you see yourself in the world. It can be a bit of a shock to the mind as well as the system; Regardless of how far we come and the energy we put towards our goals, sometimes it's even harder to stop seeing ourselves as the person we were. It's just as important to train your perspective as it is to tone your biceps. For instance, how would it feel to stop referring to yourself as an "obese person" and start calling yourself a "new vegan weightlifter?" You don't have to say it out loud, you can keep it inside like a secret superhero power no one knows about yet.

The body needs intervals where it resets itself, too. Know how you can feel an automatic drive car shift between third and fourth gears? There's a little pause in there while it leaves one gear behind and grabs onto the new one and then there's a gradual speeding up from there. I think that's where you are. You're just shifting between gears. Let yourself do it, don't beat up on yourself about it, it's completely natural and healthy. The more you relax and let it happen, the easier it will unfold. Don't grind your gears by pushing through natural pauses, just coast and enjoy the ride. You are safe, your body knows what to do, you will be inspired to take the next step when all of you is ready.

In the meantime, have fun learning about veganism and experimenting with new foods and recipes. Spend time with your friend Google and find people's dramatic vegan transformation stories online, there are a lot of them out there. Enjoy yourself by mixing it up in and out of the gym with new lifting moves, a hike in the woods, experimenting with kettle bells or exercise balls, an exploratory walk through a neighborhood you admire, etc. Keep your focus on all your successes. Keep moving forward. Keep your eyes on the prize. Keep us posted.

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules

Thanks baby herc.that has to be the most encouraging words ive heard in a while.my whole family is unhealthy.i want to be different.i feel i can do this with help like what i recieved from you.i thank you

.ill continue to learn.bye

Congrats on the weight you have lost! I didn't start out as heavy but I was 270 and have lost 102 lbs so far! It is a tough journey but well worth it. My sister is starting hers today. If you need a shoulder to lean on give me a holler!

Ok synny667 thanks.im not sure how to repond to you.i think this is how but ill try to keep you and baby herc posted.if you know how to do that let me know through this.today is my first time ever on a forum.so ill try and congrata to you on your weight loss.and i wish your sister well.bye

Thanks baby herc.that has to be the most encouraging words ive heard in a while.my whole family is unhealthy.i want to be different.i feel i can do this with help like what i recieved from you.i thank you

.ill continue to learn.bye

The appreciation is appreciated.

I, too, know what it's like to be in a family who provides a bad example of certain behaviors and offers little emotional support, but you're wrong when you say your whole family is unhealthy because you are now the exception, and you are becoming more and more of an exception with every passing day. You are different. Whether they acknowledge it or not, you are planting the seeds of an idea in their heads: "Hmm, if he can do it, maybe I can, too."

Here's something else, something that has always helped me greatly whenever I feel stuck in life and can't figure out why I'm not moving forward. I take a look at where I am and then I compare it to where I want to be, literally visualizing it in my mind until it is very clear. Then I ask myself one critical question: "What scary thing do I get to avoid doing by staying back here where I am?" Often, the stuckness is a way to protect myself from moving into new, frightening territory.

Here's a good example: I grew up in a middle to upper middle class home with parents who looked down on everybody who had more money than they did. In their minds, "the rich" either became that way through dishonest means or they had it handed to them without working for it. No matter how you sliced it, having money was selfish, bad, unfair to everyone else, and just downright wrong. You were a rat bastard if you didn't donate everything in your possession to disease foundations, the Sierra Club, and NPR. Now, I'm not suggesting that those aren't worthy causes, but I'm a worthy cause, too. Unfortunately, I didn't figure that out until just recently.

You see, I took their beliefs so much to heart that I made very sure that, despite a top notch college education and a list of skills and gifts a mile long, I never earned enough to stay out of debt, I lived in low rent squalor, and I never purchased anything that could be considered frivolous or fun. I also made quite sure to complain about "the rich," the economy, and everything else my family deemed at fault for our situation. But the only person at fault was me. I was so terrified of succeeding and thus becoming one of the evil ones out there with money, that I sacrificed my whole life for many years in order to stay in my family and friends' good graces.

Then, I started a landscape design and personal gardening business that quickly attracted the attention of the highest financial echelon in a large city. Pretty soon, I was operating by referral only for the wealthy elite. I spent time with these people, I saw how they lived, I laughed with them, I listened to them complain about their lives, I played with their dogs and their children. I learned that the only difference between them and me was that they saw nothing wrong with being financially comfortable. They didn't apologize for it by "giving back" enormous chunks of it, they didn't argue with anyone over the rightness or wrongness of owning luxury cars, and they didn't think twice about purchasing things that made them and their loved ones happy. They just lived--but they lived with the belief that money was their friend.

I worked hard to shift my thinking and sure enough, things shifted around me, too. I still have a ways to go. To this day, I have to mentally brace myself whenever things get better for me financially, I've been brainwashed so thoroughly. "Did I suffer enough to deserve this bounty? Should I justify my purchases by itemizing all their utilitarian purposes? Is it okay to enjoy my life like this?" Answer: yes, it's okay. In fact, I was born deserving to enjoy it. Everybody was. And everybody deserves to feel good, loved, beautiful, safe, strong, confident, and, yes, rich. So, keep going, Eric, you deserve it. You're supposed to win.

Baby Herc

Man you should be a motivational speaker.i dont even know you and i feel 10lbs lighter.lol.thanks for sharing that personal experience.and congrats on the sucess.i agree though being broke that the people with money shouldnt feel sorry for it.help who you feel you want too.and smile whilst spending the rest.thanks again for your advice.im going to kick but from this moment on.bye.

p.s even in the bible it says a man should see good for all his hard work(ecclesiastes 2;24).so enjoy your lot.quote this to all who snicker

Man you should be a motivational speaker.

Very close--I'm an inspirational speaker. Motivational speakers light a fire under you, inspirational speakers light a fire in you. I just go around reminding people how powerful they are and teaching them how to leverage it into doing amazing things.

thanks again for your advice.im going to kick but from this moment on.

You've already been kicking butt, you just forgot to give yourself credit for it.

quote this to all who snicker

The quote I whip out most often is "The Universe is full of magical things just waiting for our wits to grow sharper."

Baby Herc