Cycling On The Edge

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#16 Postby KarakD. » Wed May 23, 2012 11:11 am

Here's a new bike commuter pain story:

The other day I was cycling home when I noticed a tree trimmer service throwing tree limbs into a huge shredder.
Unfortuntaley it was to late to stop - I rode through a cloud of sawdust & was instantly blinded. I crashed into a parked
car & couldn't see for over 10mins. I've never had anything like this happen in my life. It was horrifying

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#17 Postby KarakD. » Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 am

A few months ago someone got into our SUV & stole the change. So when we heard someone screwing around by the vehicles @ 2:30am we peekd out the window. We couldn't see them but heard someone saying "shut the fuck up" & a girl laughing. We called out & asked if everything was ok, only to realize it was our a'hole neighbor's kid. He was drunk & replied "I'm going to burry you". Then he drove through his parents front lawn.

As far as we can tell he hasn't gotten into trouble & no one was killed. His parents prob don't even know/care about him driving drunk.

So why does it PISS ME OFF SO MUCH!?!?!?! I'm so angry at the little sh!t - I want to punch him in the face for driving that girl home drunk.

Hubby wants to talk to his parents but I think it's best to leave it go. I told him if we see him driving drunk again we are calling the cops.

The PhytoAthlete
Manatee
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#18 Postby The PhytoAthlete » Wed May 23, 2012 1:01 pm

KarakD. wrote:Here's a new bike commuter pain story:

The other day I was cycling home when I noticed a tree trimmer service throwing tree limbs into a huge shredder.
Unfortuntaley it was to late to stop - I rode through a cloud of sawdust & was instantly blinded. I crashed into a parked
car & couldn't see for over 10mins. I've never had anything like this happen in my life. It was horrifying


This is crazy! What in the world, were they just blowing the chips into the road?

They should be putting the shredded chips into a truck and removing it. Or maybe it blew out of the truck?

Regardless, that is a freak thing. As a fellow bicyclist I know how it can be, the weirdest things you wouldn't think of normally being a problem can be a big problem on a bike.

Glad you wasn't seriously hurt.

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#19 Postby KarakD. » Wed May 23, 2012 1:20 pm

The PhytoAthlete wrote:
KarakD. wrote:Here's a new bike commuter pain story:

The other day I was cycling home when I noticed a tree trimmer service throwing tree limbs into a huge shredder.
Unfortuntaley it was to late to stop - I rode through a cloud of sawdust & was instantly blinded. I crashed into a parked
car & couldn't see for over 10mins. I've never had anything like this happen in my life. It was horrifying


This is crazy! What in the world, were they just blowing the chips into the road?

They should be putting the shredded chips into a truck and removing it. Or maybe it blew out of the truck?

Regardless, that is a freak thing. As a fellow bicyclist I know how it can be, the weirdest things you wouldn't think of normally being a problem can be a big problem on a bike.

Glad you wasn't seriously hurt.



The best I can describe is that the saw dust blew out in the exhaust.

I think it's good we can share bike commuting stories.
It helps fellow cyclists avoid some of the pitfalls of the daily grind.

By any chance do you wear cycling goggles? I've been debating getting some. The pollen has been brutal.

The PhytoAthlete
Manatee
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#20 Postby The PhytoAthlete » Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 pm

KarakD. wrote:
The PhytoAthlete wrote:
KarakD. wrote:



The best I can describe is that the saw dust blew out in the exhaust.

I think it's good we can share bike commuting stories.
It helps fellow cyclists avoid some of the pitfalls of the daily grind.

By any chance do you wear cycling goggles? I've been debating getting some. The pollen has been brutal.


The "exhaust" you refer to is a tube that the shredded pieces of the wood are blown through. They should have been blowing those pieces into the back of a truck similar to a dump truck. If they weren't, I don't know how they could get away with blowing it directly into the street. Possibly it blew over the edges of the truck? I dunno, but if you see them doing it again and are not blowing it into a truck you should report them.(assuming this is in a city limits). Heck, you may could have sued them for your injuries/pain if they weren't doing this properly.

I have worn goggles in the past when I did a lot of off road cycling, which are almost a must off road. Now I mainly ride the roads and only wear shaded ones in the summer if the sun is bright. And yes, the pollen is unreal this year. Pollen normally never bothers me, but it is causing havoc with me this year, mainly with my sinuses and throat. No problems with my eyes, but if it is bothering your eyes, maybe goggles would help with that.

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#21 Postby KarakD. » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:21 am

Here's another new but way cuter cycling story.

Was riding in yesterday morning when Momma Mallard & her ducklings all decided to cross the bike path.
Of course I stopped but it was very very sudden. Happy to report none of the ducks were hurt :)

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#22 Postby KarakD. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Not a lot new on the bike commute front *but* we've been canning tomatoes like //CRAZY\\
Image

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#23 Postby KarakD. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:40 pm

after grinding the home grown goodness, we cooked it in a large pot for 2hrs.
Image

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#24 Postby KarakD. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Time to hot pack the jars & put into a boiling water bath for 17mins. (you can use smaller jars & the processing time will be less)
Image

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#25 Postby KarakD. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 pm

If I can get anyone do just one thing it would be to can your own tomatoes.
The taste is like a ray of summer sun on a bleak Feb day.

If you don't want to can you can grill or roast tomatoes, bag them & toss in freezer.
We stashed over 20 bags this summer & they go pretty quick when tomato season is over.
Image

The PhytoAthlete
Manatee
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#26 Postby The PhytoAthlete » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:32 am

I agree, I freeze atleast 20 one gallon bags of tomatoes that I grow every summer. I prefer to have upwards of 30 bags frozen. That way I can eat one bag a week and last me for 7 months, which gets me almost back to when fresh tomatoes are in season again.

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#27 Postby KarakD. » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:08 am

The PhytoAthlete wrote:I agree, I freeze atleast 20 one gallon bags of tomatoes that I grow every summer. I prefer to have upwards of 30 bags frozen. That way I can eat one bag a week and last me for 7 months, which gets me almost back to when fresh tomatoes are in season again.


I hear ya on that! I just keep hoping that we never lose power for 5 days again (thanks to the Derecho).
We had to toss everything in the freezer/fridge

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#28 Postby KarakD. » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:08 pm

If you have been VERY NAUGHTY this year you might get one of these in you Xmas stocking :mrgreen:

Maker's Mark Fig Jammin!
Image

User avatar
C.O.
VBB Moderator
Posts: 3257
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#29 Postby C.O. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:27 am

This is one of the most interesting threads in the training journals section. And who would have thought pictures of canning tomatoes would be so cool.
How have you been since your bike accident? Healed up completely? Any after effects?

-Dylan

User avatar
KarakD.
Rabbit
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am
Location: Faux Food Fighter

Re: Cycling On The Edge

#30 Postby KarakD. » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 am

C.O. wrote:This is one of the most interesting threads in the training journals section. And who would have thought pictures of canning tomatoes would be so cool.
How have you been since your bike accident? Healed up completely? Any after effects?

-Dylan


Aww yes, the bike crash... my arm is still kinda wonky but it's ok :)
Thanks for asking.

We've really enjoyed canning - it's been a lot of fun + we know exactly whats inside.


Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests