Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Cycling On The Edge
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:11 am 
Rabbit

Here's a new bike commuter pain story:

The other day I was cycling home when I noticed a tree trimmer service throwing tree limbs into a huge shredder.
Unfortuntaley it was to late to stop - I rode through a cloud of sawdust & was instantly blinded. I crashed into a parked
car & couldn't see for over 10mins. I've never had anything like this happen in my life. It was horrifying

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 am 
Rabbit

A few months ago someone got into our SUV & stole the change. So when we heard someone screwing around by the vehicles @ 2:30am we peekd out the window. We couldn't see them but heard someone saying "shut the fuck up" & a girl laughing. We called out & asked if everything was ok, only to realize it was our a'hole neighbor's kid. He was drunk & replied "I'm going to burry you". Then he drove through his parents front lawn.

As far as we can tell he hasn't gotten into trouble & no one was killed. His parents prob don't even know/care about him driving drunk.

So why does it PISS ME OFF SO MUCH!?!?!?! I'm so angry at the little sh!t - I want to punch him in the face for driving that girl home drunk.

Hubby wants to talk to his parents but I think it's best to leave it go. I told him if we see him driving drunk again we are calling the cops.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:01 pm 
Manatee

KarakD. wrote:

The other day I was cycling home when I noticed a tree trimmer service throwing tree limbs into a huge shredder.
Unfortuntaley it was to late to stop - I rode through a cloud of sawdust & was instantly blinded. I crashed into a parked
car & couldn't see for over 10mins. I've never had anything like this happen in my life. It was horrifying

This is crazy! What in the world, were they just blowing the chips into the road?

They should be putting the shredded chips into a truck and removing it. Or maybe it blew out of the truck?

Regardless, that is a freak thing. As a fellow bicyclist I know how it can be, the weirdest things you wouldn't think of normally being a problem can be a big problem on a bike.

Glad you wasn't seriously hurt.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:20 pm 
Rabbit

The PhytoAthlete wrote:
KarakD. wrote:

This is crazy! What in the world, were they just blowing the chips into the road?

They should be putting the shredded chips into a truck and removing it. Or maybe it blew out of the truck?

Regardless, that is a freak thing. As a fellow bicyclist I know how it can be, the weirdest things you wouldn't think of normally being a problem can be a big problem on a bike.

Glad you wasn't seriously hurt.

The best I can describe is that the saw dust blew out in the exhaust.

I think it's good we can share bike commuting stories.
It helps fellow cyclists avoid some of the pitfalls of the daily grind.

By any chance do you wear cycling goggles? I've been debating getting some. The pollen has been brutal.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 pm 
Manatee

KarakD. wrote:
The PhytoAthlete wrote:
KarakD. wrote:

The best I can describe is that the saw dust blew out in the exhaust.

I think it's good we can share bike commuting stories.
It helps fellow cyclists avoid some of the pitfalls of the daily grind.

By any chance do you wear cycling goggles? I've been debating getting some. The pollen has been brutal.

The "exhaust" you refer to is a tube that the shredded pieces of the wood are blown through. They should have been blowing those pieces into the back of a truck similar to a dump truck. If they weren't, I don't know how they could get away with blowing it directly into the street. Possibly it blew over the edges of the truck? I dunno, but if you see them doing it again and are not blowing it into a truck you should report them.(assuming this is in a city limits). Heck, you may could have sued them for your injuries/pain if they weren't doing this properly.

I have worn goggles in the past when I did a lot of off road cycling, which are almost a must off road. Now I mainly ride the roads and only wear shaded ones in the summer if the sun is bright. And yes, the pollen is unreal this year. Pollen normally never bothers me, but it is causing havoc with me this year, mainly with my sinuses and throat. No problems with my eyes, but if it is bothering your eyes, maybe goggles would help with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:21 am 
Rabbit

Here's another new but way cuter cycling story.

Was riding in yesterday morning when Momma Mallard & her ducklings all decided to cross the bike path.
Of course I stopped but it was very very sudden. Happy to report none of the ducks were hurt :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:38 pm 
Rabbit

Not a lot new on the bike commute front *but* we've been canning tomatoes like //CRAZY\\

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:40 pm 
Rabbit

after grinding the home grown goodness, we cooked it in a large pot for 2hrs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:42 pm 
Rabbit

Time to hot pack the jars & put into a boiling water bath for 17mins. (you can use smaller jars & the processing time will be less)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 pm 
Rabbit

If I can get anyone do just one thing it would be to can your own tomatoes.
The taste is like a ray of summer sun on a bleak Feb day.

If you don't want to can you can grill or roast tomatoes, bag them & toss in freezer.
We stashed over 20 bags this summer & they go pretty quick when tomato season is over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:32 am 
Manatee

I agree, I freeze atleast 20 one gallon bags of tomatoes that I grow every summer. I prefer to have upwards of 30 bags frozen. That way I can eat one bag a week and last me for 7 months, which gets me almost back to when fresh tomatoes are in season again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:08 am 
Rabbit

The PhytoAthlete wrote:
I agree, I freeze atleast 20 one gallon bags of tomatoes that I grow every summer. I prefer to have upwards of 30 bags frozen. That way I can eat one bag a week and last me for 7 months, which gets me almost back to when fresh tomatoes are in season again.

I hear ya on that! I just keep hoping that we never lose power for 5 days again (thanks to the Derecho).
We had to toss everything in the freezer/fridge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:08 pm 
Rabbit

If you have been VERY NAUGHTY this year you might get one of these in you Xmas stocking :mrgreen:

Maker's Mark Fig Jammin!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:27 am 
VBB Moderator

This is one of the most interesting threads in the training journals section. And who would have thought pictures of canning tomatoes would be so cool.
How have you been since your bike accident? Healed up completely? Any after effects?

-Dylan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 am 
Rabbit

C.O. wrote:
This is one of the most interesting threads in the training journals section. And who would have thought pictures of canning tomatoes would be so cool.
How have you been since your bike accident? Healed up completely? Any after effects?

-Dylan

Aww yes, the bike crash... my arm is still kinda wonky but it's ok :)
Thanks for asking.

We've really enjoyed canning - it's been a lot of fun + we know exactly whats inside.