7/25/12 Cycle 3, Week 3, Light Day

Squats: 81 x 10 x 2

BP: 68.6 x 10 x 2

Rows: 68.6 x 10 x 2

OHP: 40 x 10 x 2

SLDL: 72.2 x 10 x 2

Curls: 35 x 10 x 2

Calves: 72.2 x 10 x 2

So I just watched chewybaws videos from his latest post and that dude has me inspired. I have been following his posts here for like 3 years and it's awesome to see him lifting heavier weights all the time and looking like he is kicking ass. Go check out his training log now!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7/28/12: Cycle 3, Week 4, Heavy Day

Squats: 102.2 x 11 x 2

BP: 81 x 11, 86 x 11 - fucked up the weight on 1st set

Rows: 86 x 11, 86 x 6 or so - struggled with maintaining form, switched from BOR to Yates style and finished set of 11...not sure what's going on with this lift - it's hard to be consistent when form breaks down...

OHP: 48.6 x 11 x 2

SLDL: 92.2 x 11 x 2

Curls: 43.6 x 11 x 2

Calves: 92.2 x 11 x 2

Yeah, so, squats were awesome...really hard sets but I made all the reps! I'm pissed that I miscalculated the weight for my 1st set of bench...realized about 4 reps into the set. Stoked I made the 2nd set at the heavier weight though...last 3 reps were slow! I've been thinking about rows a lot and trying to work out proper form. The program calls for bent over rows where the weight hangs and never comes to a stop on the floor or anything however it's easy for form to break down and cheat out some reps without really realizing it in the heat of the moment. I think I'll definitely keep this weight for next cycle and work on form a lot throughout the lighter days. The rest of the workout went well - I feel especially taxed on this heavy day. I worked out fasted after a few days of eating less than I normally eat so I may just be lacking the energy to power out the whole workout....I just haven't been too hungry and enjoying being free of digestion issues. I have been eating light during the day and having big dinners which seems to feel right at the moment. Also, I am still having issues with my right side: shoulder/neck, elbow, wrist/hand, foot...I just want to note it here for future reference...

7/30: Cycle 3, Week 4, Medium Day

Squats: 92.2 x 11 x 2

BP: 77.2 x11 x 2

Rows: 77.2 x 11 x 2

OHP: 43.6 x 11 x 2

SLDL: 81 x 11 x 2

Curls: 40 x 11 x 2

Calves: 81 x 11 x 2

Ouch, my back is hurting! Not sure what happened. It felt a little strained later in the workout but nothing that would make me stop lifting. Then late in the night it started to hurt and I had a tough time laying down in bed all night. Now today it is hurting a lot as well. I feel a strain in my mid back when I round it bending over. It's basically my entire core that I need to do everything I do so I hope the pain goes away and I recover quickly. I feel like every exercise hits the back and I have always wondered how good my form is on all the lifts. I am never sure as I have never trained with anyone else and when I sought help recently was told that my form looked good but it was just a quick session at the local crossfit. I might switch SLDLs to RDLs and drop the weight on BORs to make sure my back stays straight. I know I have a butt tuck on squats but based on videos it looks like my low back stays straight and does not round though I have had upper back issues in my right shoulder which is definitely aggravated during squats as well as other lifts so I may be rounding a bit. I'm not sure what to do but I want to be consistent so hopefully I heal quickly. I'm thinking I'll probably skip the light day this week and hope for the best for the next heavy day. I'll see how I feel during warm up sets.

8/6/12

Cycle 3, Week 5, Heavy Day

Squats: 102.2 x 12 x 2

BP: 86 x 12, 86 x 9

Rows: 86 x 9, 86 x 7

OHP: 48.6 x 12, 48.6 x 10

SLDL: 92.2 x 12 x 2

Curls: 43.6 x 12 x 2

Calves: 92.2 x 12 x 2

I healed enough to get back in the game but was still hurting and failed some lifts on the last heavy day of this cycle so I'll be keeping the weight the same on BP, Rows, and OHP. I'm happy that I made 12 reps on the 1st sets of BP and OHP so really my endurance just needs to catch up there. I'm not sure if I should drop the weight on rows as I'm finally settling on my form but I had hurt my back last week and also continue to have issues with my right shoulder which gets pinched a bit at the top of the Row. Overall I'm happy that I only skipped 1 workout which was a light day and gave myself a couple extra days before getting back at it. Squats went up pretty easy so I'm feeling strong and good there. I'm hoping I continue to heal, get solid on my form, and keep pushing it consistently on the next cycle. I'm drinkiing fresh squeezed OJ now and already feeling re-energized! I'll have another banana smoothie later on and some baby spinach to finish my day.

8/8/12: Cycle 3, Week 5, Medium Day

Squats: 92.2 x 12 x 2

BP: 77.2 x 12 x 2

Rows: 77.2 x 12, 77.2 x 9

OHP: 40 x 12 x 2

SLDL: 81 x 12 x 2

Curls: 40 x 12 x 2

Calves: 81 x 12 x 2

Another tough workout today! Week 5s are killers. Failed rows again but I'm maintaining my form and my back has been ok. Started the workout a bit sore from Monday but doing well. Finally had a good watermelon today! I'm gonna go crush a banana smoothie now.

8/10/12: Cycle 3, Week 5, Light Day

Squats: 81 x 12 x 2

BP: 68.6 x 12 x 2

Rows: 68x6 x 12 x 2

OHP: 35 x 12 x 2

SLDL: 72.2 x 12 x 2

Curls: 35 x 12 x 2

Calves: 72.2 x 12 x 2

This week was tough and I'm tired. I'm looking forward to recovering over the weekend. I'm working out with my buddy in Brooklyn on Monday who just started this program so I'm psyched for that! I also got him into eating lots of fruit! I'm looking forward to Cycle 4 - bring it on!

8/13/12: Cycle 4, Week 1, Heavy Day

Squats: 110 lbs x 8 x 2

BP: 85 lbs x 8 x 2

Rows: 75 lbs x 8 x 2

OHP: 50 x 8 x 2

SLDL: 100 x 8 x 2

Curls: 50 x 8 x 2

Calves (Machine): 100 x 4, 60 x 7

So I trained with my pal in Brooklyn on Monday. I'm used to training in my basement so it's always strange to go out to a real gym with so many people, mirrors, lights, loud music, etc...at least they have good gear! Squats felt really hard - my friend said my form didn't look great so I'll be taking some video of myself and reviewing - I've worked on my form for almost 3 years now but feel like I'm always second guessing....I've squatted much more in the past only to drop the weight to work on form, then have to take breaks from lifting while healing from chronic illnesses, and now finally upping the weights again but possibly not having the best form still...I'll see what I can figure out. The other lifts felt ok except we used a Calf Raise machine of sorts and it was really hard! I was doing barbell calf raises with 92 lbs just fine but even 6 lbs in the machine felt a little too hard. Not sure what's up with that but I should remain consistent and will will continue with barbell calf raises at home. It's also nice to use American poundages so my stats look neater. I've been feeling a bit stressed lately, a bit down and gloomy, and just cloudy all around...I've got a lot going on right now and trying to focus on the positives but this shit hits me sometimes. I'll get through it but I'm just feeling like I need to get on a good path and reset. I've come a long way with my health so I'm just battling out some loose ends I suppose and need to refocus everything through what I've learned and what I want to do going forward.

And BTW Mini Forklift, I'm only 32, but yea, I can definitely feel it...but again, I was feeling so bad 1 year ago and for 5 before that so I'm just thankful for how good I feel now comparatively.

8/15: Cycle 4, Week 1, Medium Day

Squats: 102.2 x 8 x 2

BP: 77.2 x 8 x 2

Rows: 68.6 x 8 x 2

OHP: 43.6 x 8 x 2

SLDL: 92.2 x 8 x 2

Curls: 43.6 x 8 x 2

Calves: 92.2 x 8 x 2

8/22: Cycle 4, Week 2, Heavy Day

Squats: 111 x 9 x 2

BP: 86 x 9 x 2

Rows: 77.2 x 9 x 2

OHP: 48.6 x 9 x 2

SLDL: 102.2 x 9 x 2

Curls: 48.6 x 9 x 2

Calves: 102.2 x 9 x 2

I had to skip 2 workouts because I've been so busy and traveling for work. This workout was decent. I took some shitty videos of my squats and rows to see what my form is looking like. I'm never happy with my squat form and think I'm bringing my torso too far forward though I keep my back straight. I'd like to work on this at some point with a trainer. Rows looked fine. I'm not going to be able to be super consistent with my workouts for the next few weeks so I'm not sure what to do. I started doing some freelance work that can happen any day as well as keeping my full time job so I might need a more flexible training program. I'm not sure what to do here and never really sure what my program should be. I'm just trying to be consistent and increase my strength and muscle mass. I'm feeling a little uninspired right now because of my form and also because I feel like I've been lifting for about 3 years but not making the type of progress I would like to. I know I've struggled with my health and have had to take breaks so this has been a factor but I just know my strength and muscle mass have only increased slightly in this time. I really want to represent the vegan lifestyle as best as I can so I'm trying to achieve a solid build. I'll just keep on keepin on.

8/25/12: Cycle 4, Week 2, Heavy Day (2 heavy days this week due to only doing 2 workouts)

Squats: 111 x 9 x 2

BP: 86 x 9 x 2

Rows: 77.2 x 9 x 2

OHP: 48.6 x 9 x 2

SLDL: 102.2 x 9 x 2

Curls: 48.6 x 9 x 2

Calves: 102.2 x 9 x 2

This workout was super tough. I'm really feeling it now right after the workout. Just had a banana...need to eat a lot more. I was supposed to do another heavy day because I could only get 2 workouts in this week but it seems really hard and not sure if I'll be ready for Monday again. I took video of my squats again and really worked to keep my torso more upright...it definitely looked better and the squats were hard to complete. I tweaked my back during my first set of curls even though I was being really conscious of staying tight and keeping proper form. Hopefully it's a minor thing. I'm still not sure how this cycle will play out as I have a really busy schedule coming up. I may have to skip some workouts and may not get through this cycle. I'll either start it back up again or decide on a more flexible training schedule. I have seen some programs that have an A and B workout so you just alternate. That might work well but I'd like to have all the reps/sets pre determined as I work better like that. If it's left up to me I end up pushing it too hard and not making as much progress. We'll see. I'm off to my buddy's 30th bday in BK tonight and to a screening of a short film that I played some music for. Stoked.

8/27/12: Cycle 4, Week 3, Heavy Day

Squats: 111 x 10 x 2

BP: 86 x 10 x 2

Rows: 77.2 x 10 x 2

OHP: 48.6 x 10 x 2

SLDL: 102.2 x 10 x 2

Curls: 48.6 x 10 x 2

Calves: 102.2 x 10 x 2

Good workout. Squats were really tough again. I'm still questioning my form and felt like I was a bit off at the end of my second set. Not sure if I should have busted out the reps like I did or called the set off once I felt fatigued and couldn't keep track of my form as well. I'm feeling stronger on the upper body stuff.

8/29/12: Cycle 4, Week 3, Medium Day

Squats: 102.2 x 10 x 2

BP: 77.2 x 10 x 2

Rows: 68.6 x 10 x 2

OHP: 43.6 x 10 x 2

SLDL: 92.2 x 10 x 2

Curls: 43.6 x 10 x 2

Calves: 92.2 x 10 x 2

Squats left me fatigued. I just can't seem to get in a good groove with them where I feel really good about pushing it so hard. Everything else went well. I've had a lot of tightness in the top of my neck into the back of my head...not sure what's going on. My right shoulder has been much better. It looks like I'll complete this week but the next 2-3 weeks are not looking as consistent right now so I'll just have to get in workouts when I can. I'm still thinking about switching up to a more flexible routine.

9/4

Quick update because I'll be off the board for a couple weeks...

Skipped my Friday workout because of tight neck muscles that had been creeping up on me all week...still having problems. I was also not feeling so well and maybe have a head cold but it's mild. I also helped my brother move on Saturday, I moved into a new house on Sunday, cleaned my old rental on Monday, back at work for a few days now, and getting married this upcoming Saturday. I'm really excited! I'm just hoping some of this stress eases and my neck/head cold issues clear up by the weekend. Looking forward to a beach party wedding weekend in Montauk and heading to Florida for a week after. I'll have to hit the weights hard when I return!

• 2 weeks later...

9/17/12: 5/3/1 BBB Cycle 1 Week 1

OHP: 43.6 x 5, 52.4 x 5, 61 x 5, 35 x 10 x 5

Chins: 5, 4, 4, 3, 2

Feels good to be back. Just got back from one of the best weekends/weeks of my life. I read 5/3/1 while I was away and always had been interested in trying it as well as using it on a flexible schedule. It's nice to focus on a couple lifts and get lots of volume. I am also happy that I can do standing OHP in my new house! The ceilings must be a couple inches higher than my last house.

9/18: 531 Cycle 1, Week 1

Deadlifts: 152.4 x 5, 172.2 x 5, 199.8 x 5, 119.8 x 10 x 5

Situps: 5 sets of 10

The power went out at my house during a storm in the middle of my workout so I was lifting in the dark! I alternated the sets of 10 between deads and situps - these were tough sets for me. It feels good to be deadlifting again. Plus it's nice to be lifting some decent weight. My upper body feels sore from my ohp/chin workout.

9/20/12: 531 Cycle 1, Week 1

BP: 72.2 x 5, 86 x 5, 97.2 x 5, 57.4 x 10 x 5

Rows: 57.4 x 10 x 5

Curls: 48.6 x 10 +4 +4 +3

Another quick workout. It feels good to warm up, do the heavy sets, then go back and forth between the 2 lifts for sets of 10. I added a quick rest paused set of curls as well. I like this routine so far and I've been feeling sore in a good way.

9/21/12: 531 Cycle 1, Week 1

Squats: 92.2 x 5, 111 x 5, 122.2 x 5, 72.2 x 10 x 5

SLDL: 43.6 x 10 x 3

Seated Good Mornings: 43.6 x 10 x 3

This session was ridiculously tough for me. I'm still sore on Monday morning. I may have over estimated my squat 1RM though I used the numbers I had previously been lifting to calculate it. I'm still trying to find my form and get comfortable on this lift but even light weights seem tough. My upper back is a weak point and I feel I lean forward a bit too much. I'm hoping to improve this with the seated good mornings and extra hamstring work with SLDLs. I'm really liking these workouts.

And BTW Mini Forklift, I'm only 32, but yea, I can definitely feel it...but again, I was feeling so bad 1 year ago and for 5 before that so I'm just thankful for how good I feel now comparatively.

Great training in here as usual, high intensity and shortened rest between sets is a good way to train. Keeps the blood in the muscle(s) as well as keeping the HR elevated, over time that will carry over to a faster metabolism and optimal BMR.

I was 35 this weekend just gone, you're a spring chicken mate. Nothing to complain about haha.

Thanks for the positivity MF!

9/25/12: 531 Cycle 1 Week 2

Deadlifts: 163.6 x 3, 186 x 3, 211 x 3, 119.8 x 10 x 5

Situps: +4.4 lbs (held behind head) x 10 x 5

Last heavy set of deads was super hard. I hope my form held up...sometimes I can't tell if my low back starts to round or not...it all happens so fast and I'm just giving total effort to getting the weight up. Sets of 10s were tough as well with only about 30s rest alternating between deads and situps. I'm not totally sure about assistance on this day but I can definitely use some sort of ab work to support the deads and squats as well. Maybe there is a better ab exercise...I've done reverse crunches in the past which were good and I would like to try an ab wheel sometime but I don't think I can even get 1 rep on it so I need some sort of progression to build up to that.

Video your heavy deads from the side on. I'll often do this for two reasons, 1) I can see where/if my back starts to round 2) I can see the sticking points where the movement slows. I can then pay attention to that particular section of the lift.

Very useful as often you can't remember much about your heaviest sets, or what you can remember isn't entirely accurate!