RC 2.0

Thanks for checking in, buddy. I honestly still don't know. I haven't exercised in 2 months and I'm not sure when I'll return to exercise. My wrist is still injured and I'll have to see a doctor soon and my back is still sore too.

I did get caught in a tornado or some other pretty severe storm yesterday while sitting in a park so I ran to my car, probably over half a mile, close to a mile, and my back was "OK" to run then. I had been planning for weeks to test it out with some jogging and the storm created that opportunity.

Not sure what to do with myself. I haven't even started playing poker which is what I thought I'd do. I'm leaning toward running. I think that might be fun for me. I have a tiny bladder, one of the reasons I stopped running more than 10 years ago, so I'll have to see how I handle that and if it prevents me from enjoying running/endurance training. We'll see.

At the moment, I'm focusing on traveling, spending time with friends and family, writing, and working. No exercise and I'm getting skinny and fat I'm skinny but soft so kinda skinny fat I guess and I'm not too bothered by it. I had a good run in bodybuilding and I'm grateful for the experience and I'm looking forward to discovering whatever is next for me and I don't know yet what that is.

Hope all is great with you!

Robert

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I wouldn't worry about the bladder thing. If you are running there's always plenty of toilets/trees/bushes around, you kind of get used to it. On my longer 10hr+ runs I used to have to take a toilet roll out with me, I had some rather strange items in my backpack haha.

Glad to hear you made it through that storm, sounds pretty crazy ?! Take care MF.

I ran back to back days. Back tightened up a big and legs are very sore. I think I went a little too fast and too far for not having run in a long time. I ran about 3 miles the first day and 5 or 6 miles the next day. Not sure I can run today. We'll see.

I gotta slowly ease back into it.

Happy to be doing something physical for the first time in nearly months.

Robert,

So glad you had some good runs! Just wanted to let you know we are pullin' for you. Your book and this website have been such a help to us newbie Vegans, you are doing so much good in the world. Be safe and healthy, with your never-quit-attitude you'll get there, wherever you decide "there" is!

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks all.

I learned my lesson. I went out way to hard and fast and kept up with my buddy who's trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon. After 6 miles I was sore for days.

After a day of rest I did a slow jog on a treadmill for 35 minutes yesterday, followed by 25 more minutes at night, with 10 minutes on the bike after, just trying to stay loose.

I'm about to hop on the treadmill again. Easy short runs to get myself into it. I prefer to run outside but I end up going too far, too fast because of my personality, so a treadmill ties me down a bit

I wouldn't class 6 miles as an 'easy short run' just to get you back into it ?! Just stretch lots, hydrate well and take in a little extra sodium if you are a medium to heavy sweater. Quality over quantity for running, you can get into great aerobic condition (and be fast too) on as little as 30 miles a week... unless you follow the theories of Lydiard's training, then you'll be running a marathon before breakfast and back out for a quick 20km after dinner haha.

I took a rest day today, but will be back and running again soon I'm sure.

Yeah, totally taking it easy. Got out a little too fast, a little too hard and was really sore for days.

Going to start getting massage therapy in on a regular basis and will do a lot more stretching, perhaps yoga and we'll see how things go.

I jogged for about a mile today with Lean and Green and thendanisays' dogs. My lower back is still not feeling totally right. It was tight and sore during my previous runs. Not dramatically, but enough for me to notice.

Though I haven't exercised much, I did review/edit 5 chapters of my new book today. It won't be out for another year or so, but I put in some good work on it today. I've been sitting in the same chair for 10 or 11 hours and still have another hour or two left in me before bed Big reviewing/editing day.

So, now I know why you've stopped training! I figured it was "another" injury. Take care of yourself, and find something you enjoy that won't leave you hurting. Don't know about Poker though, that might be a bit too idle. Running sounds like a good alternative, and have you thought about yoga to stretch you out, and get you more limber and flexible?.

Yeah, that same old back problem. I wasn't even able to walk a couple of months ago, and couldn't walk properly for about a month. My wrist is actually something that troubles me as much, if not more than my back. I am going on 4 or 5 months of wrist injury. Derek thinks perhaps I broke it and it fused back, but I don't think I full on broke it, but there might be a crack or something like that going on. I should get it checked out soon.

In the meantime, doing a bit of writing, traveling, working and spending time with friends and family.

Getting pretty skinny, but I have a feeling I'll be skinny for years to come so I'm getting used to it.

I think running will be fun. I'm going to do more therapy for my back and as it improves, so should my running.

Thanks!

It is hard to let go of the muscle mass and come to terms with a new, 'skinnier' version of yourself but you just have to look at it as a different chapter of your exercise career.

I look like a hairy pencil when I run, but I always feel really fit and healthy because of it. Not a bad trade off I guess!

I rode a stationary bike for about 15 minutes, ran for 10 minutes and walked for another 30 minutes.

That was today's exercise.

Still sore in many areas from injuries (wrist being the worst, going on 5 months now), but trying to get active again.

Wow!

Cool!

That is awesome to hear! Congrats to them!

Thanks for voting!

I'm having such a fun time supporting kareno in the spotlight for the first time.

Have a great one!

As far as fitness, I haven't done anything for a few days but last night I danced for hours at my friend's wedding reception. I'm a bit sore today so I'll take it easy again, but perhaps fall into some routine soon.

Back and wrist still won't work properly so it may take some time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...