Nutrient timing - my adventures

I am trying a new way of eating from the book Nutrient Timing by Ivy and Portman. I laugh alittle to be trying this out as they have an insert called 'Vegetarian Muscle Building - An Oxymoron' by John M. Berardi - who now has a website company called Precision Nutrition and it has Module called 'Plant-based Nutrition', so I guess times are a changing. To be fair, the only alternative protein back then that was known by omnivores was soy protein isolate . . . yuck!

My diet follows the sample menu (macros only) that is in the book for a 145 lbs female. The total calories is 2610 (I know so much!) with TOTALS of 163 grams of Protein, 273 grams of Carbs, and 96 grams of Fat. The sample menu starts off with a big breakfast, and that just won't cut it for me. I split it up with a plain protein shake immediately after I wake up, walk for cardio and to get the blood moving, and then a regular breakfast. I also split up the big dinner into a small dinner and a plain protein powder shake at night.

Today's menu and when to take it (timing) was as follows:

7 AM Up. pee. wt: 148.2 (down .4 from yesterday)

7:30 Protein Powder (1 scoop), BCAA's with Glutamine and Vitamin C, 57 grams of grape/lemonade juice

8 - 8:45 Walk for 45 minutes around the block (rained in the early morning, so I got to dodge puddles - Vibrams soak up water)

9 AM Breakfast choice for today: 1 vegan Italian sausage, 161 g of sweet onion, 1 TBsp olive oil, 100 g frozen broccoli florets, 180 g cooked brown rice (way too much carbs as they allowed for breakfast - but there was just a little bit extra left, so I put it in - besides it was Back day and with such a big muscle group to workout - perhaps I could burn up some of the extra carbs - I will subtract the extra carbs at dinner time).

10:30 workout time: Back

no plain water bottle for me anymore - 10g of protein powder, 50 g of fruit juice, 1 drop of wheat germ oil (Vitamin E - an antioxidant for working out - and the nastiest stuff to taste plain!) in a big Voss glass water bottle. Also had Con-Crete (creatine) and Lipo6 (so far this hasn't made me crazy with energy, but the micronized creatine has pumped me up big time)

12:00 - as soon as I am done working out, I head home and consume this in 15 minutes- 40 g of CytoMax2 (maltodextrin), 20g of protein powder, and the BCAA's supplement.

2:00 Protein Powder and water

3:00 Lunch choice for today: 340g of Nasoya Tofu Plus, 2 TBsp of herbs de provence salad dressing (365 brand from Whole Foods), 261g of frozen California Blend veggies (365 brand from Whole Foods)

5:30 6.7 oz (switched weight measurement from grams to ounces - because I was playing around with it the last time I used it and forgot to put it back to grams) gala apple with 2 TBsp of 365 brand crunchy peanut butter (this is the highlight of this diet for me!)

7:00 PM Dinner choice for today: 82 g of brown rice farina, 26 g of EB soyfree buttery spread, 37 g of Protein Powder (this was a fast dinner meal)

9/10 PM Protein powder (1 scoop) - usually with some juice, but I used up all my carb allowance for the day, so I can't have it tonight- along with BCAA's.

So far my energy levels are up by the time that I am getting ready to workout, and dwindle down at night (the bedtime shake doesn't bother me at all - in fact it curbs the hungrys away so I can sleep soundly). My poundages have been going back up during the workouts, and I do seem to be losing weight . . . so far. Tonight I have decided not to do any cardio as my legs do not feel refreshed from yesterday's night time cardio, and I can feel my Back getting sore - so do not want to take away any nutrients from it repairing tonight. Tomorrow is a light Tricep day, so I will do cardio tomorrow night probably.

Today's Totals: 169 g Protein (over by 6 grams), 280 g Carbs (under by 7 grams), 91 g Fat (under by 5 grams) Calories: 2594 (under by 16 calories)

Did not match up completely . . . again. But alas, this is the adventure I am taking on . . . .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6:30 AM Up. empty bladder. wt: 147.0 (down 1.2 lbs from yesterday morning)

6:45 Tangerine juice - 53g, Raw Protein Powder - 23g, BCAA's with Glutamine and Vitamin C (1 scoop), drizzle of wheat germ oil

7-8:30 Walk for 3 miles

8:45 Brown Rice Pasta Fusilli/Twists - 56g, daiya jack style wedge - 1 oz., 1 TBsp of crunchy peanut butter

9:15 Supplements: DHA, CLA, plant-based Iron, Methionine, carnitine

10:00 Workout - Triceps, with a water bottle of Raw Protein - 8g, Tangerine juice - 6.4 oz., (oops, forgot the BCAA's with Glutamine) and before heading to the gym , I also supplemented with Creatine and LipO6.

12:00 Post Workout/Recovery drink: Raw Protein Powder - 19g, CytoCarb2 - 46g

2:00PM Raw Protein Powder - 26g

3:00 Tofurky (Oven Roasted flavor) - 104g, Sweet Potato - 200g, Avocado - 60g, Walnuts - 28g

5:00 Gala Apple - 124g, Crunchy Peanut Butter - 39g

7:00 Broccoli florets - 157g, Sweet Onion - 126g, 1 Vegan Apple-Sage Sausage, Button Mushrooms - 77g, 1 TBsp extra virgin Olive Oil, -needed more carbs - Brown Rice Crisps cereal from 365 Everyday Value at Whole Foods - 30g/1cup

9:00 Grape juice - 4 oz, Raw Protein Powder - 22g, and water in a bottle, and off to the gym: Elliptical, level 2 only, 5K for around 40 minutes

10:00 Grape juice - 4 oz., Raw Protein Powder - 22g, and some more water to fill up the cup

I felt like I ate alot today. As you can see, I was stuck with trying to find something that had some protein and alot of fat in it: crunchy peanut butter to the rescue! Though I was considering Vegenaise again like yesterday. . .

Totals for today (along with the alotted amount in parenthesis): Protein 159 (163), Carbs 265 (273), and Fat 96 (96). Calories: 2487 (2610)

Getting a routine set up. The only thing that will change will be the Breakfast after the walks, Lunch at 3 PM, and the first Dinner at 7 PM, all the other things will be the same I think - unless i run out of something . . . say peanut butter!

Side note: Today at the gym, they were doing their own Olympic events to celebrate the Olympics in London, and it was Bench Press today. I had just gotten done with my Tricep workout (kind of easy to do), and someone from the gym asked me if I wanted to do it. I did not want to do it, until I heard that my role model (who is in her late 50's) did it, and then I decided to do it. The Olympic Bench Press is very different. I am not use to a flat bench. I am not use to one set reps. I am not use to a freestanding bench with a rack above (I like the MaxRack or my Smith Machine). I am not use to hearing commands of Start, Press, Rack. All in all, they gave me 4 (instead of the usual 3) lifts to do, and finally did my bodyweight of 150lbs. A novel experience for me to personally experience - even though I know a couple of people who powerlift and have watched them many times do it but never tried myself.

8 AM - really cool and dark morning I guess, so I ended up sleeping in alittle! So much so, that I got a BM out before I weighed myself! TMI for some I'm sure, but oh well. Weight: 146.2 lbs, down by 0.8 lbs from yesterday! (Now that the day is done, and I binged . . . I wonder if it is too much losing weight, and my body is fighting back - give me back my adipose tissue! and I just gave in . . Mmmm, I wonder....going to go check . . .well not until this weekend is IT due).

8:30 Raw Protein - 22 g, BCAA's - 1 scoop, Rice Milk - 8 oz (no juice this morning - no cardio walk - it is too late and already hot and humid)

9:30 Brown Rice Farina - 41g, Crunchy Peanut Butter - 32g (awesome combination for breakfast! so filling and satisfying! wonder if eating so much peanut butter is a bad thing for me though)

10:30 Workout drink: Raw Protein - 8g, juice 4.8 oz, drizzle of wheat germ oil (stuff floated on the top and then around the glass bottle - had to constantly shake it while I sipped it during my workout). Todays bodypart: Delts

12:00 Raw Protein - 19g, cytoCarb2 - 46g

2:00 Raw Protein - 26g

3:00 Tofurky deli slices - 104g, Avocado - 62g, Tortilla Chips - 28g, Daiya Havarti style wedge/jalapeno&garlic - 1 oz, Refried beans/roasted chili & lime flavor - 130g, and veganaise 1/2 TBsp

5:30 Gala apple slices - 128g, Chunky Peanut Butter - 32g

7:00 Vegan sausage (apple-sage) - 1 sausage, sugar snap peapods - ?, grape-lemonade juice, and off I went!!! There was 1 slice of sprouted wheat bread with EB on it (good TBsp!), Oat cereal grabbed right out of the bag (about a dozen times my hand went in), more juice, and I settled down with a bowl full of cherries.

10:00 Raw Protein - 1 scoop, some more juice (probably 4 oz), and water to round out the glass. . . . oh boy. Wonder if it was because I do not have set lunch and dinner menus yet that I am just giving in to bingeing like this.

Note: when I got to the gym today, I had a Gold medal waiting for me for my Bench Press yesterday! LOL!!! Seems that there was only one other guy who came close to bench pressing his own bodyweight, but I was the only one who did it.

Tomorrow is another day of trying to figure this out. Wonder if . . . no, I know that the weight will go back up. That is OK though. It is awesome Leg day tomorrow - so no cardio tonight, and no cardio tomorrow morning!

Leg day was awesome. Yes, my weight did go back up to 148.4, but after Leg day it went up to 149.0 (weigh myself in the morning as soon as I wake up). I am agreeing with my friends, that after Leg day, the leg muscle holds onto some water due to inflammation of such large muscles being thrashed with heavy lifting.

Leg day was the usual eating pattern. Yesterday was Chest day, and that eating pattern was altered as I had to go shopping during my usual training time, due to some time constraints/appointments. So yesterday's eating and timing was as follows:

6:42 AM

Up. weight 149.0 (after Leg day)

7:00

Rice Milk (using this instead of juice from now on - for cutting purposes - trying to limit the intake of fruit/simple sugar) - 8 oz.

Raw Protein Powder - 22g

BCAA's - 6g

7:30 - 8:30 - Walk around the block - it is Celebrate Oxford in my town today, and thought I could get a sight at the 5K runners or the Biking Riders - no, too early I guess.

9:00

Brown Rice Farina - 41g

Crunchy Peanut Butter - 32g

Supps: plant-based iron (preventive to keep my anemia from coming back), CLA, vegan DHA, carnitine/carnipure, B12

Off shopping at Whole Foods - and in the strip mall that it is located at, the Art in the Park was going on the outdoor park setting that the strip mall occupies (love to look at artists' works), so while at Whole Foods . . .

11:00

Vega chocolate saviseed protein bar (YUM!)

12:00 Workout time! Bodypart: Chest

sipping during my workout -

Raw Protein Powder - 8g

Grape/Lemonade juice - 4.8 oz

BCAA's - 6g

Wheat Germ Oil - 1g (measured my drizzle on a spoon)

2:00

Raw Protein Powder - 19g

CytoCarb2 - 46g

BCAA's - 6g

Wheat Germ Oil - 1g

4:00

Raw Protein Powder - 26g

Sugar Snap Peapods - 50g

5:00

Vegan sausage - 1 link

Brown Rice cooked - 195g

Avocado - 90g

Salsa - 2 TBsp

7:30

Wildwood Super Firm SprouTofu - 212g

Mustard - doesn't matter as it is 0 everything! Love Mustard - German is the best so far (Dijon is too sweet!)

California Blend Vegetables (frozen, 365 Everyday Value, Organics, Whole Foods brand) - 251g

Gala apple - 120g (my sweet tooth wanted it!)

9:00

Looked at my macros, and saw that MyPlate said I had the 160/163 is what I needed already for Protein (tofu did it big time), and Fat was 72/need 96 (what? I am consistently so low in my fat! got to work on that some more), and carbs was way over with 282/ 273 was what I needed. So the apple was probably not a good idea. So I decided not to do a Raw Protein powder shake tonight.

Around half past midnight I woke up with lower abdominal pain. And it was moving across the belly. I already knew what it was (poo baby moving along the transverse part of the large intestine). Sure enough, this morning, I looked and my water jug was half full still! My bad. Need to work on that. I drank a couple of glasses last night, and was rewarded with a nice BM this morning - and not a constipated one either - at least I was smart last night to drink some water!

Another mistake i made was in the timing of the 2 hour Post Recovery meal. I should have taken it at 3:30, instead of 4 - but I was busy talking with family and forgot about it till 4. Luckily tomorrow, I can go back to my routine that I am still trying to establish and figure out.

But your cutting is gorgeous on you! I am still working on looking as cut as you. I might have to go lower with the food also to get as cut as you. So it is all good and fair. You get what you put in. I'm just not ready to give up my muscle mass for lower bodyfat . . yet. So I am going to try things that I haven't tried before to see if I can do it without becoming insane to do it . . . though I know of some people who already think I am there. . LOL!

Thought I would add that my workouts are getting stronger, though I look like I am losing weight - alas I am not . . so much.

Bicep Day!

MaxRack Barbell Curl: Bar/25, 20/15 (easy, but not pushing it just yet - warming up still), 40/10~2 (did 10 good reps and rocked the last 2 up and held it on the way down), and then a rockin 45/8, and finished with a strict form 10/15+10 (did 15 slow, put the barbell down for 2 breaths, and then picked it up and did the last 10). 45/8 - I had done this weight the last time, but this was a more controlled rockin, LOL.

Dumbbell Hammers: 20/25, 25/15, 30/10~5 (10 good reps, and then 5 with shorter and shorter Range Of Motion, ROM), 35/8, and then back down to 17.5/25 with strict form and making it burn.

Single "Bicep" curls on the Star Trac: 20/25, 30/15, 40/10+5 (playing around with a stability ball - it is harder to do these when sitting on it and you can't use your legs or really your abs to help you contract the hands to the head - so I had to stop and put the ball behind me and finish the last 5 reps), and after a nice rest between sets - 50/8, then back down to 20/25 with nice control and a peak contraction hold for a split second.

Pull-Up with close grip bars (delt hurt on the first couple, but learned to keep the elbows close to my waist on the way up, and the delt doesn't hurt/whatever is hurting inside my shoulder doesnt' get used if I do that): Assisted at 40/15 - but I stopped at this point as my biceps were wasted and it wouldn't help to keep thrashing them till I can't even pick up my water bottle.

Thought it would be quiet in the gym being a Sunday, but I saw 2 good friends working out and interrupted them with a hello, and ended the conversation with one asking if she could be my workout partner. I know this lady from the Senior Olympics last year when she did the Bench Press (not at my gym, but an actual State sponsored Olympics and she won Silver!). I told her that I do only Bodybuilding style workouts, and that she was perhaps talking about powerlifting - but she wants to try my workouts - sure I said, my last workout partner hasn't come back in awhile because I think I hurt her, but if you are willing to venture forth with me. . sure: WARNING! Working out with me may be hazardous to your body! LOL!

7 AM

Up. wt: 147.4 (going back down)

Rice Milk, Raw Protein Powder, BCAA's

9 AM

Brown Rice Farina, Peanut butter, supplements

10 AM : Workout drink

Raw Protein Powder, BCAA's, Coconut Water (somebody drank all the juice, and I didn't have the time to thaw it out and make it, so i grabbed the coconut water instead - all 24 ounces of it to reach my carb quota - but is it fast acting sugars? said sugars=total carbs, so guess yes), a drizzle of wheat germ oil

1 PM (talked too much at the gym to get home by noon!)

Raw Protein Powder, CytoCarb2, BCAA's, and wheat germ oil

3:30 PM

Raw Protein Powder, sugar snap peapods

4:30 PM

Brown rice cooked, vegan sausage, guacamole (homemade - basically Haas avocado with lime juice and homemade DEATH pepper powder)

5:30 PM

Gala apple, and peanut butter

8 PM

Mixed veggies, wildwood super firm tofu, daiya cheese

10 PM

Raw Protein Powder (no rice milk as my quota for carbs has already been met)

Totals (Quota): Calories 2507 (2610), Protein 164 (163), Carbs 274 (273), and Fat 89 (96) - getting closer to my quotas - need to find routine dinner meals - though, I kind of like being able to be creative like tonight in finding stuff in the refrigerator and mixing it up in crazy combinations

• 2 weeks later...

Found another workout partner. But I am trying to fit around her schedule. Now, I am usually free to do anything . . so far . . as it is summer and my kids are not taking up hardly any of my time - I just have the usual household chores, plus making THEIR food (mine is so different than everybody else's food). So she wants to work out in the afternoon. OK, that means I have to play around with the nutrient timing diet, and make it so I can go in the afternoon instead of the late morning. I went today, and she didn't show up. She did call and say she was backed up with work and wouldn't be able to come in today. This is the second Leg day she has missed with me. She even mentioned that she doesn't like working out Legs on the Leg Press and Leg Extension. OK, I showed her some other things she could do instead, while I do my things. I feel like I am training her, more than she is being my workout partner - and face it, how can she be my workout partner if she doesn't like to do Legs? LOL! Ugh. . . just a little rant I guess. That and I did 4 sets of 25 reps all this week for my workouts on each bodypart. Today was Legs, and I had a hard time walking out of the gym and driving home - and my Legs did not want to work to get up from the bed as I passed out in the late afternoon after folding the laundry. They are feeling alittle bit better now that it is night, and have got some energy back into them. I wonder if I will be able to do a morning walk? Oh yea! If I work out in the afternoon, maybe I can go back to morning cardio jogs? just a mile or 2? keep it low intensity, so I have some energy for the weightlifting.

Also got my NASM personal trainer 4th edition book today, and read Chapter 1. I like their OPT program, and really do not know if I agree with the first foundation is stabilization. But even so, I added deep squats (bodyweight) on the Bosu today, right after my Sumo Squats on the Smith Machine, in order to incorporate some stabilization for my joint mobility. Personal trainer here I come . . . again . . but this time as a Vegan! though I think for the public/business, I will say that I am a trainer on a Plant-based Diet - more mainstream thinking where I am at.

Went for a lovely 3 mile trail jog this morning - could have gone farther, but I had to hold back as it was only 2 days ago that I was limping out of the gym due to Leg day. I will however plan for a nice 5 mile tomorrow, and then a long 10 mile on Sunday (Paint Creek trail in the early morn, and then afterwards shop at Whole Foods - which I love as I am a sweaty mess! LOL!).

Chest day was OK with the 4 sets of 25 reps, but it is the day after and my pecs don't hurt (Legs are still kind of sore this morning when I woke up - the Gracilis and the Adductor Magnus (know from my PT training book) - due to the Sumo Squats I guess). Today is an easy Bicep day at 4 sets of 25 reps. Will try to keep the last couple of sets in peak contraction and make them scream as I lower the weights down (eccentric contraction) and visualize the muscle fibers just ripping to shreds! LOL!

Well so much for plans. I have decided to just workout between 2 and 3 PM, and if somebody wants to workout with me, then they have to come at that time. I worked out yesterday early, so the morning jog fell thru yesterday. But today was an awesome 5 mile run with my eldest son in the morning. Had to sprint the last 50 yeards or so to try and beat him . . . hahaha, he is 6'3" and I am 5'3", so my little elf legs were doing 3 steps to his giant 1 step stride! We tied! but I think I was the less winded out of both of us! - Now my achilles is yelling at me now, and on the elliptical for my 10 minute warmup at the gym before my workout. Today's workout was Triceps and to go heavy!

Rope Tricep Pressdown: 50/25 warmup, 70/18 (went past the 15 from last time), 90/16 (yeah, one more than last time), 110/10 (2 more than last time), and my heaviest at 120/8 (which I did twice, as the first one I began to laugh at how hard it was just to get down, and then I did the 8 reps with short range of motion -sROM - because I had lost the focus. the second time was much more focused and hurt so much more! and I had done this last time, but sROM was the norm - just trying to push the weight down in whatever range I could get for 8, and then hoping to do a longer ROM the next time = which I did!), and then a burnout of 60/25 rightafter the heavy set - oolala!

Rope Overhead Tricep Extensions: 80/25 warmup, 100/13+2 (lost my focus and had to stop and then take one breath and then continue to finish the last 2 reps for a total of 15 reps for the set), and 120/8 (sROM, but a little more than last time), and then a burnout of 60/25.

Ass(isted) Dips: 25/15, 10/12, Body/10 last time, this time - 25/15, 10/15, Body/11~1 (11 good dips and 1 short ROM dip and then the feet fell to the floor! LOL!)

Headed over to the MaxRack and tried to do some skullkrushers on there: Bar/25 and 5/25 (triceps were pumped by now, and it was 1 and 1/2 hour workout just for Triceps so I called it a workout and left the gym).

Checked myself out in the mirror, and decided that I really can not eat wheat - I had a little baby belly today - like 4 months pregnant! Ugh! And the definitions are going to. I need to control myself at night. Look myself in my room and study for the NASM certification - though I like to munch while I am studying. I need to make a veggie bowl/canister for cheating at night. Fill it with celery, carrot sticks, sugar snap pea pods, and maybe radishes. I have had the thought for awhile now, now I need to take some action and do it . . . just so tired at night to do it though. First thing in the morning perhaps?

Trying to post what I am doing, but I am trying so many different things lately.

Yesterday was Leg day, and I decided to not go all out, as I have decided to do a 10 mile race this Saturday - the CRIM in downtown Flint, MI. I have been doing it for 5 years now, and this past year I did it with 2 of my sons. This year, only one son will be brave enough to do it - and it is the one I ran with on Sunday. And my achilles acted up a bit after that sprint, so I have been babying it alot.

Like yesterday morning's cardio couldn't even be walking around the block, but I read in my Personal Trainer manual that biking was not a weight-bearing exercise, so I went for a 10 mile bike ride - didn't hurt my heel at all! But my ass and lower back were feeling it! Always easy to recover from those two places - usually. Actually I did go for a walk (2 miles) this morning, and nothing hurt!

Will try and post later on tonight my eating and timing - I do have a morning and afternoon routine worked out. I also went and made bowls of cut up veggies for my cheating at night (celery, pea pods, baby carrots, and radishes).

I am also feeling a little bit down, as another potential workout partner fell thru. I have been feeling isolated lately in my veganism, but also in my female bodybuilding. I shall just smile and tell myself that I am just too much of a VeganBeast (and have pride in that).

8:30 Up. Wt: 150.2 (150.6 yesterday)

8:45 Rice milk - 8 oz, Raw Protein - 26g (overshot by 1g), Wheat Germ Oil - 1g, BCAA's with Glutamine - 6g

9:00 Sups: Carnitine, Devil's Claw, Pycnogenol (Pine Bark Extract)

9:15 Lipo6 and BTT

9:30 Walk 2 miles

11:00 Brown Rice Farina - 50g, Peanut Butter - 32g, White Chia Seed Powder - 11g (overshot by 1g)

11:30 Sups: Iron, CLA, Probiotics P8, (out of DHA/EPA algae oil)

(went shopping and laid out in the sun)

2:00 Brown Rice - 200g, vegan sausage - 93g, Organic Baby Spinach - 42g (last bunch left in the container), Salsa - 25g, Avocado - 20g

3:00 Lipo6 and BTT and Creatine (Con-Crete)

3:30 w/o - Chest - sipping a Voss water bottle full of water and Raw Protein - 10g, BCAA's with Glutamine - 6g, Grape juice - 6 oz, Wheat Germ Oil - 2g

5:00 post w/o drink - Raw Protein - 25g, BCAA's with Glutamine - 6g, CytoCarb2 - 50g, Wheat Germ Oil - 2g

6:00 snacking on cut-up veggies from my snack bowl

7:00 Tofurky Oven Roasted flavor Deli Slices - 62g, Baked Potato (2) - 273g, Earth Balance (Soy free) - 12g, Mock Sour Cream - 32g

7:30 Sups: Iron

10:00 Rice Milk - 8 oz, Raw Protein - 25g, Wheat Germ Oil - 2g

Totals: Calories - 2353, Protein - 135g, Carbohydrates - 315g, Fat - 68g

Chest:

Incline Hammer Strength Chest Press: 50/25, 90/25, 140/18, 180/9~1, and for fun 200/4 (right arm gave out and couldn't get it up after 4)

Machine Flye (open more than 180 degrees): 90/25, 120/13~2, 135/10

tried to do Stability Ball Chest Presses on the MaxRack: Bar/25, 10/25, 20/25, then someone wanted the MaxRack and I easily gave up

Smith Press, Incline on first notch on bench (15 degrees?): 70/25, 90/15, 110/10, and with no partner I stopped here and did a burnout set of 50/25 (nice and slow full ROM reps)

It was getting to be in the 5:00 after work crowd, and I was just not into it tonight, so I left. My pecs were pumped and my front delts were screaming, so I figure not to push it as I need them to be in good working order for the 10 miler this Saturday.

NASM! You go! I have taken their test twice ( and passed, probably best all around cert, in my opinion.)

When are you competing...loved your comment on giving up mass for lean--found a ton of photos recently from when I was 38- 40 and was not lifting but was bigger lower body size wise and lean but not ripped. I think it changes in various seasons of our lives. Love teh food variations you posted...great "food for thought", and inspirational as always. And laughing, cause, I always have someone saying, "Oh, I will train with you...just call or text...and I do...and they NEVER show up". Anyways..thanks for the inspiration today!

Thanks for sharing with so much detail in your journal. Especially about food. Lots of people on here only keep track of their workouts which is fine, you know whatever is important to them. I really find it fun and interesting to see what everyone is eating too.

-Dylan

Did the 10 miler CRIM this morning: time: 1:45:23. Not bad for a bodybuilder, and not a runner. Did not stop once, and my son (who was behind me at the 3 mile mark - first time in history that Mom passed him and he never passed me back! I beat a 21 year old! Still he did not train for this, so it was an honest attempt by him) pointed out the hole I had in the bottom of my Vibrams afterwards when we got to the car and ditched our shoes for the sandals and socks! Time to get a new pair I guess. 2 years is what I got out of those!

Passed out when I got home, after rehydrating and fueling myself. Woke up with very sore and stiff Achilles' tendons and calves on both legs. Time for repair processes to start to go to work. A green smoothie is called for in this situation I think! Yum!

• 3 weeks later...

Time to refocus again. BigMeech has got me motivated again, and Synny is always inspirational to me also.

I am learning alot from my NASM book. I would definitely say that I am overtraining, so I have backed away on some things. I am doing 12-15 reps for 4 sets on some days - when my bodypart is not 100% willing to do heavy, and doing my morning cardio. I have to refocus on the image I want to shape my body into. Right now it is too blocky I guess is what I would say it is. I want to stream line it alittle bit more, and that is going to mean taking off the bodyfat also. It is just so hard to keep healthy and keep lowering the calories, and keep up with my workouts. And I am staying the same with all these fights I keep having with myself. If I want to do the cardio (did 7 and 1/2 miles on a new trail path yesterday - so awesome as it is cool and the leaves are starting to change - well the poison ivy is a brilliant scarlet red right now), I have to back off on the weights so I do not injury myself. Or go crazy eating at night cuz my body needs the calories to function.

So I have a mini goal of getting down to 140 again by the end of September, because I will be heading over to Osaka, Japan to visit my daughter (who is working as an English teacher at Amity - like a Kumon here in the States - private tutoring company) on Oct 6. She is having a hard time being away from her family, and I got a call at 4 AM this morning (5 PM Osaka time) with her wanting to hear my voice. She also is sick for the 2nd time around since being there in May. My heart goes out to her, as she was one who could never stay away from home for 2-3 weeks at a time (her college was MSU, which is only 1 and 20 minutes away), so I knew this would happen. And she is frustrated because she took the job to learn more Japanese over there, but the company only wants here to speak English. She did hire a Japanese tutor this week, and the first meeting went well - so hopefully this will channel here anxiety alittle more, and she can focus on learning kanji and speaking Japanese.

Got a call at 4 AM from my daughter. Had a heart attack because I have never gotten a call that early before! Thought the worse - but it was because she is so homesick, and then she is actually sick with the chest congestion and coughing up phlegm. Ugh! So I got up and Skyped her for about an hour. I got up an hour later and made lunch for my High Schooler that has a 0 hour Jazz band class (a class that begins an hour before the school actually starts!), but then I passed out till 9 AM! No cardio this morning, and did a super heavy Leg workout -

Leg Press sets started with 2 45lbs plates on each side first and went up to my usual 11 45lbs plates on each side for 8 reps (had to try twice to get the load up - began to hurt myself on the first try and got scared and backed away from trying to push it up. readjusted my thinking and form, and pushed with the core at first and then continued on into the legs - instead of just only the legs)

supersetted with BOSU ball deep squats with MaxRack barbell with 10lbs on it, holding it in my arms in front cradled like a baby, for 25 reps (flat surface for my feet, ball part on the ground) for articulation stability and neuromuscular coordination (balance)

Leg Extension sets finally ended with a set of 10 reps with the whole stack (285lbs) and was starting to feel fatigued so I did not push it by adding the little weights to it (to make it go up to 315lbs), but I did a descending set with a lower weight till failure

Leg Curl sets went up to 105lbs for 12 reps, and my stomach was acting up by then, and my Legs were like noodles, so I stopped after I reached this heavy set, but did one set of lower weights till failure for the burn.

I also did some Stability ball Pullovers and ab crunches in various positions - so maybe that was what was making my tummy feel icky.

Food macros were : Calories 1713, Protein 126, Carbs 193, and Fat 46. Weight was 150.2 (with no cardio and no BM - so not dehydrated and full colon LOL!)

Proud of myself for allowing no wheat to touch my lips today. Laid out in the sun and enjoyed the last warm rays in this transitional month of September.

I have to add that I did a Heavy Leg workout because I haven't done Legs for awhile now - have just been trail running and biking for two weeks now. So I thought it was about time to push them heavy. Next time will probably be the moderate 12 -15 rep range like I said I was doing for all my bodyparts in the post before - so I can tone up the bulk - plus watch what I eat which is why I am back on MyPlate on LiveStrong.com.

I am also off my BTT (herbal testosterone booster), and soon will be cycling off my creatine (which might help me feel more toned and not so bulky). It will be interesting to see what my body does being off of these (I did ProStack during the winter and really increased my weights, and BTT during the summer while dieting and maintained my weights pretty well, though the dieting was not as well. . sigh . still working on it!).

Thanks Synny! And as always, inspirational for me!

Woke up and the Legs were a wee bit sore (Awesome! about time!) and decided to still do a walk around the short part of the trail (2 miles for 1 hour). The purple asters are now starting to bloom! And the bittersweet vine has the berries on them also. Ah, so pretty again! just like in the spring with all those flowers blooming - now it is autumn's turn with its flowers!

Still 150.2 today - a little disappointed that it didn't go below 150 yet (of course it has only been 2 days since I last binged and had wheat). Chest day today at the gym. Says on my calendar that I went heavy last week, so I guess I plan to do a high rep, moderate weight workout today - Burn the pecs!