Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bulking phase
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:19 pm 
Gorilla

Ye he's pretty stoked he's getting to go. Once in a life time opportunity.

One of the archery team lives in the are. Have to check your log for news

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am 
Gorilla

Monday 6th August, ground zero!

Veggiesasquatch is rebuilding, from the ground  up (base up)

Stronglifts: workout A

Squats: warm up sets followed by 5x5 at 70kg

Pull ups (betwen squats) 5x10

Bench press: warm up sets followed by 5x5 60kg

Barbell Rows: 5x5 at 40kg

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:07 pm 
Gorilla

Nice! What prompted the switch to Stronglifts? Just felt like changing it up a little? You'll be back up to heavyweights in short time!

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:01 am 
Gorilla

asparagus wrote:
Nice! What prompted the switch to Stronglifts? Just felt like changing it up a little? You'll be back up to heavyweights in short time!

Hi Asparagus,

Thanks for that question! My main reason is simply, I could of built a better base.

I have made some terrific gains across my lifts & packed on some serious bulk & size in my time back in the gym. I didn't really have a plan for the first couple of months, then followed a few bullshit routines before educating myself. Likes of Rippetoe, Wendler,Tate being my favourite reads. Also T Nation & starting strength becoming my goto for info, along with dinosaur training.

I followed a strength program on builtfit which was based around basic plate loading before moving onto 5/3/1. 5/3/1 really is awesome & I made all my best gains while on this.

Saying that recently I re programmed my lifts, though I'm only back into cycle 2 I'm already not feeling the work I'm putting out. Stripping the weight (& I mean really stripping it off) I'm hoping to build a better platform.  So i'll go through stronglifts 5x5, go through the intermediate & advance, then madcow & finally back onto 5/3/1.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 pm 
Rabbit

I do respect and recommend Wendler's program, my only problem with it (and some powerlifters) is that it can be way to easy of workout. I follow a loose version of Wendler's program by doing more. You can still definitely get strong

EX. for Bench Press

Shoulder circles, 25 push ups, Back bends 25 push ups.

135 x 5
135 x 5
225 X 5
275 x 5
335 x 5

Then I'll do a tons more "accessory lifts" just dislike the fact you have to be so precise and that he freaks out on doing too many accessary lifts. IMO if you just do your strength stuff first, you're fine. There's so much more fun things I'd be doing in the gym that wendler seems to frown upon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:23 pm 
Gorilla

His program works so I see no point in messing with it, when Some can match a 550kg you tend to listen to them.

As for assistance, if I do any I give them a reason. I don't just do them to fill an hour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:53 pm 
Rabbit

I guess my point is that you can still build quality strength and excel in other areas at the same time. These seemingly "hardcore" powerlifters can lift but that's about it in the performance department. I train with a few of these types who put out unreal numbers but are really just overweight and couldn't do a pistol squat if their life depended on it. I respect a man much more if that put high strength numbers and still do an iron cross. That's the assistance work I'm talking about. Not to mention if you follow his nutritional advice you'll eventually be a prime candidate for heart surgery.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:04 pm 
Gorilla

DukeD wrote:
I guess my point is that you can still build quality strength and excel in other areas at the same time. These seemingly "hardcore" powerlifters can lift but that's about it in the performance department. I train with a few of these types who put out unreal numbers but are really just overweight and couldn't do a pistol squat if their life depended on it. I respect a man much more if that put high strength numbers and still do an iron cross. That's the assistance work I'm talking about. Not to mention if you follow his nutritional advice you'll eventually be a prime candidate for heart surgery.

That's where Wendler's bodyweight assistance program comes in. In his book he even states it as one of his favorite templates to use. It's also what I'm using. Something else that he stresses is figuring out a template that works for what you want to do. His program is really flexible when it comes to assitance, and the main lifts are just that, main lifts. Everything else you tailor to your goals. I think Veggie here made a good example of that when he had to program his lifting around injuries and was still able to use Wendler's 5/3/1 template.

Also, I don't think anyone on this forum would be directly following his nutritional advice :roll: :wink:

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:06 am 
Gorilla

I think saying powerlifter's are overweight is rather ott, I'll agree some use it as an excuse to eat badly more often than not. I actually train with one of the worlds strongest men & also guys whom compete in various strongman weight comp, None of these are fat (Loz is obviously a heavy weight).....Wendler also admit's he was powerful but out of shape. 5/3/1 is geared towards being fit & strong, that's why he says to condition with prowlers ect

As for powerlifer's being fat, I think Matt Kroc may have something to say about this :roll: Touching on Matt Kroc I used his assistance template recently along with 5/3/1's core planning http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marine- ... e-gym.html

I'm not blinded by these types (wendler ect) I know I have to add in work within area that needs help eg my midback for bench stability.

Lastly I have never seen Wendler's food/meal advice & thought it was ill advised, besides the meat obviously

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:16 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

... and the ridiculous amount of milk he advocates.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:09 am 
Gorilla

Gomad is a good one to do, I may do the Gallon Of Milk A Day after my break

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:02 pm 
Rabbit

Are you serious on the gomad? This just peddles to my point that some of these strength diets are just excuses to obesity. I had a trainer who worked under me that did this and just left him with a inflated body and ego. He was the joke of the gym and soon was let go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:08 pm 
Gorilla

Personal trainers are a joke in general.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:33 pm 
Gorilla

So here's two stronglift workouts from Wednesday & Saturday. Should of been Friday but I've needed to be in close proximity to a toilet, no idea why I was & still am having a bad stomach :( 

I have the stronglifts excel & it's given me even lower numbers to start with than what I went with on Monday, so all's good & I'll stick with it. The stronglifts iPhone app is also great!

The works easy enough so I'm really focusing on form. Bench had become something that was starting to slip, like not fully touching my chest.

Wed-8th-August

Stronglifts workout B

squats: 67.5kg 5x5

Overhead press: 27.5kg 5x5

Deadlift: 70kg 1x5

Sat-11th-August stronglifts workout A

Squats: 70kg 5x5

Bench press: 50kg 5x5

Barbell rows: 37.5kg

Every lift I had 3-5 warm up sets....barbell rows were taken from the floor & returned to a full stop.

So there we have it, nice & easy...form being key while the weights ramp back up. Though I'm off for a break now, week off! My goals to eat loads of lemon cheese cake & burgers:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:36 pm 
Rabbit

veggiesasquatch wrote:
Personal trainers are a joke in general.

K. You obviously haven't worked with one (or at least a good one). And considering you're following a strength program developed by essentially a personal trainer (Jim Wendler).

I don't mean to sound condescending, but when it comes to the general public and powerlifting/strength training I get very opinionated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next