Trying to get my diet right

First of all, here's my introduction post : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28816

Basically i'm 6'3" 153lbs and want to gain muscle.

I'm trying to start simple, and add foods as I go. One thing though, I don't cook. I just... don't. I can microwave and use a toaster like a pro, and will use the stove occasionally. That is about the extent of it

So these are the foods that my diet currently consists of:

100% Whole Wheat Bread

Quaker Oatmeal

Shredded Wheat cereal

Almond milk

Orange Juice

Cranberry Juice

Hashbrowns

Chocolate Soy Milk

CLIFF Builder Protein Bar

Peanut Butter

RITZ Crackers

Earth Balance

Boca Chik'n Nuggets

Amy's DF Mac n Cheeze

Morningstar Riblets

Boca Burger

Vega Performance Protein

Vega Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer

Flax Oil

Banana

Apple

Frozen Broccoli

Carrots

Hummus

Things I am going to add are brown rice, quinoa, berries, and almonds. The more the merrier, so if you have more foods that fit my profile, by all means I'd love to hear.

And now, here is one sample day. Is there anything missing? Is there too much of something? I have a different meal plan depending on if I work, workout, etc., and below is my eating when I have both with calories and macro-nutrients calculated:

Workout + Work Day
Serving Size/Name/Calories/Fat/Protein/Carbs
2 slices	Toast	    400	25	8	36
1 bowl	Shredded Wheat w/ Almond Milk     260	3.5	7	56
1 patty	Hashbrown	    140	8	2	15
1 cup 	Orange Juice	110	0	2	27
1 shake	Protein Shake w/ Water	    120	0.6	25	6
BREAKFAST TOTAL: 1030 calories	37.1 fat	44 protein 	140 carbs

1 slice	Peanut Butter Bread	290	17.5	12	25
1 banana	BaNaNa	110	0	1	30
1 cup	Cranberry Juice	140	0	0	34
SNACK/PREWORKOUT TOTAL:	540 calories 	17.5 fat	13 protein	89 carbs

1 shake	Protein Shake w/ Milk & Flax Seed Oil	225	8.1	26	14
1 entrée	amy's df mac n cheeze	520	22	8	72
1 slice	Peanut Butter Bread	290	17.5	12	25
LUNCH/POSTWORKOUT TOTAL:		1035 calories 	47.6 fat	46 protein	111 carbs

1 banana	BaNaNa	110	0	1	30
1 bar	Cliff Builders	270	8	20	30
2 scoops	Vega CWFHO(meal replacement)	260	7	26	23
AT WORK TOTAL:		640 calories 	15 fat	47 protein	83 carbs

5 crackers	Crackers w/ Peanut Butter	270	20	9	17
1 shake	Protein Shake w/ Water	120	0.6	25	6
NIGHT TOTAL:		390	20.6	34	23

DAY TOTAL:		3635 calories	137.8 fat	184 protein	446 carbs

Thanks for any help. It's just my diet is where i'm least comfortable at this point.

My main concerns are my once-daily intake of processed foods, my fats (though my metabolism is crazy good and i have a highly active job and i'm trying to make gains, so maybe they are good), and this lingering hunch that something is missing.

Need more fruits and veggies! They have lots of nutrients etc. that you need to keep you going strong.

You mention you don't like to cook... but stir fries are a good and simple way to start cooking and an excellent/yummy way to add veggies and proteins (various beans or fake meats) to your meals. And if your are really opposed to cooking, then maybe at least try throwing some spinach into your shakes - you don't really taste it. I buy Europe's Best spinach.. it has little individual size squares of frozen spinach so I nuke one or two of those for 10 secs and can then chop it up and throw it into stir fries or shakes.

A substitute for crackers and pb could be refried beans and salsa with tortilla chips. No cooking involved and salsa has some good veggies in it.

The number of protein shakes/bars you have in one day seems like too much to me.. I only have about one a week, but I'm definitely not into hard core building so not sure if that is normal for body builders. Just seems like too much process food imo. Perhaps there are other thoughts on that.

Need more fruits and veggies! They have lots of nutrients etc. that you need to keep you going strong.

You mention you don't like to cook... but stir fries are a good and simple way to start cooking and an excellent/yummy way to add veggies and proteins (various beans or fake meats) to your meals. And if your are really opposed to cooking, then maybe at least try throwing some spinach into your shakes - you don't really taste it. I buy Europe's Best spinach.. it has little individual size squares of frozen spinach so I nuke one or two of those for 10 secs and can then chop it up and throw it into stir fries or shakes.

A substitute for crackers and pb could be refried beans and salsa with tortilla chips. No cooking involved and salsa has some good veggies in it.

The number of protein shakes/bars you have in one day seems like too much to me.. I only have about one a week, but I'm definitely not into hard core building so not sure if that is normal for body builders. Just seems like too much process food imo. Perhaps there are other thoughts on that.

Thanks for the input.

Fruits will be easy for me. Oddly enough, I just don't like that many vegetables. Broccoli, carrots, peas, corn, and asparagus, are the only vegetables I like. I'll be sure to buy more of those, as well as more fruit varieties.

The more I think about it, the more I think I have to get over myself when it comes to cooking. Stir-frys are my favorite things in the world to eat. I'm going to focus on one recipe at a time, and I'll start with a delicious/healthy brown rice stir fry with broccoli and carrots and a general tso type sauce. I can tolerate red onions in a stir fry as well. I'll start with that, and if I enjoy it, I'll learn some more recipes. baby steps

Tortilla chips and salsa, hmm... The only question is whether I'll be able to avoid eating the entire bag in one sitting Added to the grocery list for tomorrow nonetheless. Peanut butter crackers are gone.

When it comes to protein, I am completely confused. It's suggested I take anywhere from 1g/kg body weight (69g) to 3g/lbs body weight (like 450+). I'm sticking to what my brother has success with (also vegan, quite "gladiator-like" as he would like to say). 1-1.5g per pound body weight. The protein bar is more because I can't really eat at work, from 4PM to anywhere between 10PM-12AM. I bring a banana, protein bar, and meal replacement shake, every day I work. Since it's a highly active job, it's nice since I can have bite/drink whenever I have a second throughout the shift.

And yeah, the processed foods gotta go. Hopefully I'll start cooking stuff that actually tastes good and start replacing the frozen microwave meals with much healthier home-cooked meals.

Thanks so much for the help stcalico, I really appreciate it

It seem like you have a good plan there for building muscle, I would just say incorporate a few servings of fruit and veg in the mix too. Which could be as as simple as following the above diet plan but replacing one meal with a green smoothie. And slowly build up your skills for cooking by trying one or two new recipes a week.

It seem like you have a good plan there for building muscle, I would just say incorporate a few servings of fruit and veg in the mix too. Which could be as as simple as following the above diet plan but replacing one meal with a green smoothie. And slowly build up your skills for cooking by trying one or two new recipes a week.

i don't know how in the world i didn't think of a veggie smoothie! that sounds great, thanks for the tip.

you would probably like almond butter better than peanut.

Nuts and seeds (hemp, pumpkin, sunflower, etc) have lots of cals. That could help with gaining weight

As for veggies do you like cauliflower, sweet peppers, cucumbers, leafy greens like kale.

Sweet potato can go into the microwave.

quinoa is easy to make on the stove. Make it like rice. Nothing special

you would probably like almond butter better than peanut.

Nuts and seeds (hemp, pumpkin, sunflower, etc) have lots of cals. That could help with gaining weight

As for veggies do you like cauliflower, sweet peppers, cucumbers, leafy greens like kale.

Sweet potato can go into the microwave.

quinoa is easy to make on the stove. Make it like rice. Nothing special

none of the above on those veggies, but i did buy a mixed baby salad that I'll force myself to eat, corn, peas, and asparagus. bought frozen mixed veggies and vegetable juice for a shake. about a metric ton of fruit: raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, grapes, strawberries, bananas. Gonna mix up the fruit every time I go to the grocery store since i love essentially every fruit. seeds sound like a good addition, already added mixed nuts to my diet. got some quinoa, teriyaki vegetable stir fry i will be attempting tomorrow.

Already feeling 500% better about my diet.

Cooked pasta today that had 1 serving of vegetables, then the pasta sauce had 2 servings, was amazing. Been snacking on 1/2 cup of mixed fruits 2-3 times a day, banana pre-workout still, and made myself a nice big smoothie when I woke up (I think I'm going to make that a routine). Turned out I thoroughly enjoyed a bowl of spring mix salad with a small amount of balsamic vinaigrette, I think I'm going to give kale another try next time I go shopping, but regardless I'm going to make myself a big effin bowl of leafy greens every day I think.

Furthermore I signed up at myfitnesspal simply to track my calories/macro-nutrients... my dear god is it useful.

I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying all this. Thanks to you guys