What rep schemes have you had success in progressing?

z0rzz

So for building mass, I've often stuck with a 3x10 rep scheme where I pick one weight and attempt to do it for 3 sets, 10 reps. If I fail, I attempt it again next week, and if I succeed, I up the weight and drop down to 3x8, then 3x10, and so on and so forth increasing the weight I'm using.

I made all of my original mass using this rep scheme, but as of late my gains on it have slowed and I was interested in exploring different rep schemes for the sake of variety. A few of my friends do 10, then 8, then 6 reps for three sets, but I did that in high school and wasn't a huge fan. What rep schemes have you guys had success in building mass?

Hi z0rzz...

It is a pleasure meeting you. I used to do the 3 x 10 to 15 (once I reach 15 reps on all 3 sets then I go up in weight) for the upper body, and 3 x 15 to 20 for the lower body.

I have been told to gain mass, start with lower reps, so now I go 3 x 8 to 12 on the upper body, and 3 x 12 to 15 on the lower body before I move up in weight. I seem to be gaining mass faster using this system because I am lifting heavier.

I hope this helps.

Going heavier definitely has helped me gain mass, as well. For isolation exercises I go for 10-15 reps rather than 8-10 due to their inherent nature of improving definition, and I like doing higher reps for definition work.