Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Squats
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 pm 
Elephant

markanthony wrote:
Baby Herc...I have a previous injury. Was doing squats in one of those angled Squat Machines...and blew my hip out. I had no insurance....not a good thing. That was two years ago, and I am just now getting back into the gym. The one thing I will never do is a Squat in a machine.

markanthony, doing a special kind of assisted squats might be a pain-relieving alternative. I learned this technique from a body building physical therapist who took pity on me when a doctor told me to stop hiking and doing squats altogether. (Never! :D )

Use an unangled or only very slightly angled Smith Machine, load up with about 20% of what you normally do (to practice with and get your form down), and use a neck cuff if you feel like it. Position yourself for a regular squat but take a short step forward away from the bar and then lean backwards onto it. Keep pushing back into the bar as you go down into a perfect seated position, toes slightly outwards, and flex your glutes and hams as hard as you can at the lowest point. Push up from your heels using these muscles so that your knees and quads aren't stressed. The only tricky part is leaning back into the bar while balancing it not-quite-on-top of your shoulders.

If she had her feet two inches farther forward, she'd be doing what the physical therapist described:

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:53 pm 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

blabbate wrote:
Yes, biomechanically. This abstract explains some of it:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8827313
(and this rehab document: http://www.orthopedicmanualphysicalther ... rehab.html)

Basically, compressive force is maxed at 90 degrees, as is posterior tibiofemoral shear, which puts stress on your PCL. As you move down past that point, the compressive force decreases. It's safer to move through that danger point than it is to stop.

That was what I was getting at, although I will still back up what Baby Herc is saying as well as she isn't incorrect.

I've always gone past parallel with squats as I have found it to be easier on my knees, but as we know what works for one sometimes doesn't translate over to someone else.

As for the knee wraps, neoprene ones are fine. I would say they're optional to wear, but if you did want to wear them I would be putting them on when the load starts to exceed 80% of your 1RM. Technically you won't get any lifting assistance from them, they're designed more for a little extra joint support.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:44 pm 
Rabbit

Forklift...

I appreciate the input. The only reason I wear them would be for support, and I don't think I'm at the point of necessity...yet. I used to wear them but I never went past 90 degrees...so I am changing my techniques.

Thanks for the video...Baby...I will experiment with that over the weekend when I have the time. Meanwhile, maybe I will see you in the vortex...

One thing I realize is that I'm not as stupid as I used to be...I think we all are.

Regards to all...

markanthony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:53 pm 
Elephant

markanthony wrote:
Thanks for the video...Baby...I will experiment with that over the weekend when I have the time.

Have fun! Your ass will enjoy it, literally and figuratively.

markanthony wrote:
Meanwhile, maybe I will see you in the vortex...

I can be found there, 24/7, day or night. :D

markanthony wrote:
One thing I realize is that I'm not as stupid as I used to be...I think we all are.

In my case, I sure hope so.

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 am 
Gorilla

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
That was what I was getting at, although I will still back up what Baby Herc is saying as well as she isn't incorrect.

I've always gone past parallel with squats as I have found it to be easier on my knees, but as we know what works for one sometimes doesn't translate over to someone else.

Oh definitely. I'm just pointing out how it works kinesiologically. It might not even be relevant depending on what the poster decides to do.