new to bodybuilding

SMcVicker91

Hi guys, Stephen here. Been vegan a bit over 2 years now, I'm 20 years old, and just want to be stronger, healthier, and all around better.

I just recently decided to start exercising. I lifted weights for the first time in my life just a week ago... instantly addicted. I am following a beginning strength program and I'm really excited to track my progress and see myself visually and statistically get stronger. Really pumped.

So my goal is to gain muscle. I'm 6'3" and just last week weighed a measly 148lbs (gained 4-5 lbs so far). I'm pretty much set in terms of my workout program, but my diet is a whole different story.

Before the last 2 weeks, I was the unhealthiest chip-chomping soda-guzzling vegan in the world. I cut down completely on caffeine, chips, even quit smoking. I have since completely changed my diet, and was hoping for some of you who have been doing this for a while to critique my current diet. So I'll be posting in the Nutrition forum shortly after this.

Anyways, things about me: I live in Louisville, from St. Louis. Love disc golf, movies, plan to major in computer science, i like to make music on the computer (I'm not very good but here's a sample -->

).

So anyways, glad I found this site, looking forward to being on here regularly.

Here's what I'm working with:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m515/krim058/M1340017.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m515/krim058/M1340018.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m515/krim058/M1340019.jpg

Yeah, I got some work to do.

Hi Stephen. When you said you were 'chip-chomping and soda guzzling' I was expecting someone with a few extra pounds.. so I was surprised clicking on your pic. lol.

Great that you have some 'before' pics, but also, if you haven't already done... make sure to do some circumference measurements and some beginning 'max' reps. It will help you to see the improvements you've made later and can be motivational to keep you on track.

It is good that you recognize that diet is half the battle when it comes to a body transformation. You'll need to eat some quality foods and include protein at every meal. Protein shakes are good to add to the mix if you are wanting to put on some size because they are calorie dense.

Welcome.

Thanks both of you.

@stcalico, yeah i've always been really skinny, even back when i was nonvegan and ate fastfood and even more junk every day. thinking I might need some serious calories to make gains.

I agree, I should do some measurements. I did figure out my max reps for the 7 exercises I will be doing 3 times a week:

(1 rep max) Squats 120lbs, Bench 90, Military Press 70, Barbell Curls 70, Bent Rows 105, Stiff-Legged Deadlift 115, and Calf Raises 185

I could probably squeeze out more, but I rounded down a bit since I'm really wanting to focus more on proper form since I'm just starting out.

Numbers are so low compared to what I see other people doing. I feel like that just means I'll be progressing super-fast at the beginning

Stoked to begin my the first day of my first cycle tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

6'3" 148lbs, well the best part for us tall skinny guys is that we can eat as much as we want (as long as its healthy). welcome to the forum. Start a journal on here and let's share bulking up foods and strategies.

-Dylan

6'3" 148lbs, well the best part for us tall skinny guys is that we can eat as much as we want (as long as its healthy). welcome to the forum. Start a journal on here and let's share bulking up foods and strategies.

-Dylan

156 now. i'm even starting to feel a chest forming, haha.

really loving this lifestyle change. getting overly stoked about little things, like yesterday when i found out i could add 2 tbsp of finely ground flax seed to my oatmeal and it tastes just as good if not better. much better than the flax seed oil i was putting in my shakes.

i'll start up a journal soon. gonna be hella busy the next 2 days.

You're from louieville and you say hella? haha that is such a SF thing to say. Seriously though that's badass that you are not only bulking up but new muscle is starting to show, and that you are so excited about nutrition. I'm right there with you man! I made this chia see and coconut milk pudding the other day and Ive been telling everyone about it. I posted the super easy recipe in the forum here too.

-Dylan

You're from louieville and you say hella? haha that is such a SF thing to say. Seriously though that's badass that you are not only bulking up but new muscle is starting to show, and that you are so excited about nutrition. I'm right there with you man! I made this chia see and coconut milk pudding the other day and Ive been telling everyone about it. I posted the super easy recipe in the forum here too.

-Dylan

haha, honestly louisville is nothing like the rest of kentucky for the most part.

i'm gonna start checking out some more recipes, i completely forgot pudding existed i think. Sounds delicious though, i'll pick up the ingredients next time i'm at trader joe's.