Week 2 Journal {LMNGETFIT}

What a crazy week- again..... Thankful that I've got job security while it's unfortunate that my patients are sick requiring major surgical intervention..... Just the way it goes sometimes! I've been managing my workouts around the heat and late work days.

Here's a recap of week workouts-

Monday: swim 700 yds

Tuesday: rest day

Wednesday: bike 10 miles (37 mins)

Thursday: early morning run before work-nice 72 degrees at 0515! 2.5 miles.

Friday: rest from training; I did paint/ primer a 400 sq ft room!! Sore upper body after that project!

Saturday: 13 mile bike.... Pushed my pace and felt great! I got my ride in before 9:30- nice at 85 degrees!

Sunday: I woke today with a SORE left knee.... It feels like my hamstring is tight. Today was a run day but I'm going to pass on the pounding and do the elliptical and STRETCH!!

Nutrition: been going well; I'm eating a large salad at lunch which helps with energy! I've also added a Vega shake once a day which helps keep me full and prevents crashing in energy! In fact, I'm down 1.5# in 2 weeks! ( I'd pretty much quit focusing on weight loss and focused on how I feel!).

Here's to another week! Yeah!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so sure where the days are going...... My next sprint tri is in 2 weeks! I'm thinking I'll be fit enough to complete though I'm not sure if I'll improve my times. I've not focused on training harder & quicker like I'd hope! My week this week was spent caring for both fur- kids! My 15 yr old Schnauzer contracted a stomach bug of some sort that landed us in vets office Wednesday for treatment..... I only wanted symptoms treated before jumping into diagnostic tests. He's pulled through today- on the road to being his adorable old cranky slow deaf self!! Mid-week, RJ, our schnoodle had a quick 36 hour episode of Dukes illness..... I jumped on his treatment mimicking Dukes plan and he pulled through much quicker-I suspect because he's young-6 yrs old today! So I squeezed in cardio when possible on Tuesday.....

Wednesday: bike/run brick totally 45 mins..... The HOT 100+ degrees temps are killing my afternoon training plans!

Thursday & Friday: no workouts

Saturday: 2.5 mile slow jog then later 700 M swim pool felt good.....

Tomorrow: planning on bike ride 12-15 miles before heat hits!

Tonight..... Resting!

Monday: extremely stiff & sore neck (more painting Sunday!)-stuck to 20 min elliptical with stretching; had to take a muscle relaxer for stiffness at 1730....in bed early!

Tuesday: rest day because call shift/long day

Wednesday: 10 miles bike/38 min early morning; 500M casual swim around noon

Exhausted..... Think I needed more nutrition that day in hindsight!

Thursday: 2.7 mile run.... Slow 12 min/mile avg

Friday: before call shift.....10 min elliptical followed by upper body weights & all over stretching. Fingers crossed for great, safe work day!

Saturday: early morning 3.2 mile run - avg 12 min/mile .... Includes 3 mins of walking throughout.

Leg extensions #5 ankle wt 20 reps per leg, 30 crunches on ball, ended with 15 mins stretching.

One week from tomorrow is next sprint triathlon.... I'm hoping to go check out course in morning- its approx 45 mins from here. I'll see.....

Monday:rest day/call shift- thankful for a slow night!

Tuesday: post call day off.... AM bike 9 miles/34 mins; PM open water swim w/ my friend, 500M nonstop/10:20, 10 min rest/chat; 250M. Walk-jog 24 mins! It was great to have company-we kept each other going & time flew by!!

Our last scheduled triathlon is 9/8. We are considering increasing our mileage/training to do the KC 1/2 Marathon in October! Both of us need a goal and would have fun running together!

Food: I've not been that hungry..... Mainly due to heat (running errands).... I'm behind in cals!

Will try harder tomorrow!

Thursday: 500M/10:20 open water swim followed by 6.5 miles/24:20 (hilly park course that I loathe!)

Tired during workout tonight-thinking after Sunday, I'll start journaling my food. I think I'm not consuming enough quality calories. My final triathlon is 9/8 and I want it to be my best for this season!

Friday: 2.3 mile/ 26 min run- humid 90 degrees but felt great!! Last run before Sundays race!!

Packet pick up for race- really excited because it's a memorial race for Matt Mason, a fallen Navy Seal from MO who died in 2011 in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan-he loved triathlons! race has 316 participants- pretty awesome for its 1st year! Also, weather is forecasted to be cooler-66 Sunday morning with a high of 87! Wahoo!

Lots to do tomorrow in preparation......

Saturday: excited..... More excitement than nervousness tonight! I'm ready for the race-I'm going in with the attitude of FUN before the competition! Again, I feel Proud to honor a veteran who enjoyed the sport of triathlons like I do. I can't wait to see the crowd tomorrow all out in support of Matt!

Cowboy Up!!! (his theme!!)

Sunday: a gorgeous morning-62 degrees to start the tri & ended at 72 degrees-NO complaints!!

I'm extremely pleased with my time! 1:23:40!! I shaved 4 mins off my 1st tri time of the same distance from approx a year ago!!! My best part was the bike where I avg 17.6 MPH..... Swim time was slower than it felt - my training times have been faster!! Not sure why I'm a min slower than previously practiced. Super stoked about my transition times-and most improved would be my run pace-11:14min/mile!!! I actually ran the run portion to 2 comPlete strangers...

and we chatted the whole time!! Chatting kept my mind off running and we had a great pace!!

Today I've taken a nap & pigged out-veg Frito chili pies( hubby's recipe) and 2 glasses of wine!! Oh a 4 vegan, GF snicker doodle cookies!!!

Tomorrow I'll be back on track and set new goals for 9/8 triathlon!!

MOnday: rest day

Tuesday: really bummed..... On sunday, my right knee was sore after last 100yd of run which was uphill on grassy surface. I'd felt a pop and then pain but didn't think to much of it. Later that day, I iced it a few times and toOk anti-inflammatories like I've done before. Yesterday, my knee was throbbing by the end of my work day and stairs up and down- HURT!

Fast forward today, I try non-impact elliptical and had excruciating lateral knee pain-feels like joint is locking..... I'm sitting now in an orthO docs office. We'll see what he says...... I've had pain before that's always resolved and was just soreness. This pain is different-sharp with a catch in the knee.

Wednesday: sore locking knee from a loose body in joint. I need surgical intervention-arthroscopic surgery currently scheduled in 2 weeks. I was told too that I can no longer run! I have minimal cartilage left in both knees. I've gone through the emotions of being pissed to sad. I can do non-impact activities-biking, elliptical...... I'll survive just sad that individual triathlons are out!

So awaking this morning, I hurt. I'm just waiting for my knee to lock up. Not sure how useful I'm going to be at work...... We shall see.

Surgery was comPleted today- yeah!! I got on schedule sooner because my knee hurt so bad!

I did well with my anesthetic (ALL IV drugs, no inhaled agents- I have wicked PONV and motion sickness!). I've felt decent today, nO nausea...... Some discomfort and pain in knee. Doc shaved off huge osteophytes and did a menisectomy. I'm on crutches for a few days and I can start bending as tolerated.

Planning my recovery exercises now!

I've grossly underestimated the amount of pain, swelling and discomfort associated post-operatively with my knee scope! Taking narcs as prescribed and keeping it as mobile as possible- very uncomfortable! I pray it heels quickly!! I'm ready to move past this injury!!!

Still hurting-my knee feels like it will explode-swollen and tight!! I'm up though..... Bearing more weight. I showered & removed the dressing...... Not pretty but oh well...... My neighbor who is a PT will come help today with a few exercises!! Got to get my groove on!

God bless my sweet hubby and friends who've been helpful and patient!

Thank you for the prayers!

Doing better- slow progress! I'm cutting myself some slack though it's HARD! The exercises I was shown is improving my knee flexibility! Yeah! Actually walked outside with my kids for 50 yds or so- tough work!

Thankful I still have all week off to continue my recovery!

Slowly making progress-had a meltdown yesterday..... Cried and cried. My hubby and another friend listened. Then late yesterday evening I got motivated!

I stretched my knee just past feeling the pain and burning....... Did a few new exercises and gain more flexibility. I'm shocked at just how much swelling and stiffness is in my kne joint!

Today I pushed through a few new stretches that were uncomfortable........ Slow progress but it's progress. I've limited my narcs today-tired of being drugged and nauseated! I'll take them tonight to help with recovery.

Tomorrow- I think I'm gong to venture out to the DMV!

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday: wow..... A lot has happened since the 21st. Today's a new month and forward progress!

I'll see about a quick summary-last doc appt on 8/24 landed me with answers as to why so much pain and swelling with my knee. I had a menisectomy AND bone spurs removed from my femur-apparently these bone spurs are in line with my patella so there's contant friction until it heals over. That means WEEKS for recovery! I'm currently off work until 9/17. I'm still on crutches and my leg workout is limited to range of motion! Tough news but I'm persevering!

Last week was hard...... I lost my schnauzer of 15 years to kidney failure. It was fast and he didnt suffer-my heart broke but I'm getting along by remembering all of the good times he brought us! He was a sweet boy! I am thankful for RJ, our schnoodle who is 6 and spunky!! He will step up to alpha dog - we are positive!

I did swim once last week and upper body workout twice. I'm down #4 but I'm thinking it's muscle loss..... Plus my appetite is minimal due to narcotics. It's hard to take it easy..... So much I'd like to do since I'm restricted it's HARD! I do want my knee to heal!

Goals next week: swim 3 or more times; upper body & core 3 times.

I have physical with lab results on Tuesday. I'm curious about my numbers!

Monday: slept wonderfully last night-woke to minimal knee pain.... Going to be hard not to over do it today!

Walked my pooch slowly, 3 houses down our street and back, no crutches.

Just finished swim workout: 400 yds freestyle total (100 x 4 w/ 45 sec rest between); 50 yd back stroke; walking length of pool 100 yd total w/ high knee lifts & straight leg lifts. Used a noodle for balance.

I'll do core later today (planks & situps)

Feel pretty good physically...... Trying hard to keep emotions in check between missing Duke & PMS-I'm a basketcase!

Tuesday: no exercise-rested

Wednesday: swim workout 650 yds -100yd x 6 w/ 45 sec rest between; 25x2 easy freestyle.....did leg lifts, knee lifts-water resistance range of motion exercises.

Did a lot of errands yesterday!! On my knee more than I should of been!

Thursday: plan to REST-ice & elevate my knee! Bones hurt this morning! I may do upper body workout later today...... Have a few craft projects to do!

Days are creeping by..... Kinda blurry. I'm trying to stay positive and I do count my blessings daily! It's been two weeks since I lost my buddy, Duke. RJ (other pooch)and I (rest of family too) are adjusting.....I've gone through pictures which help me remember the good times!

So tomorrow, it will be 4 weeks since my knee surgery. I'm improving, slowly. I'm still being good and keeping off my knee, resting as much as possible with it elevated and iced. I rested last Friday and Saturday in preparation for the KC Chiefs football game on Sunday. We started out the morning with a fantastic tailgate feast wih friends.... I stuck to potatoes, fruit & mimosa! Yum! I ended up being the DD so that was it for me! We had a great time despite the loss! I love this time of year with fall sports and nice weather!

Monday, I was sore in my knee despite utilizing my crutches! We got field passes through a friend and I had to navigate stairs which are still tough....puts extra pressure on good knee . I worked upper body here at home.

Tuesday, I swam 600 yds.....100yd increments with 45 sec rests between. I then did gentle bicycle type movement while floating on arm bouys for 5 mins.... Felt great, I'll see what my knee does! I'm home now icing & elevating!!! I layed in sun, soaking up fo vit D!! I chatted with a gentleman who's finished his triathlon season and was somewhat depressed-he's going through withdrawals!! I can totally relate!!! He was very encouraging on exploring team options for triathlons!!! I'm excited about enlisting my friends' help for next seasons events!!

Tomorrow: I'll go swim again since its virtually pain free activity for me!