Low body temperature

Jay

My wife just got a digital thermometer and her temp on three measurements was 98.7, 98.1 and 98.1. Mine were 95.6 and 94.2. What's that about? I've heard vegans can have lower body temps. I don't get cold though. I mean it's snowing and I'm wearing shorts all day. Pretty low temp though......

In the first 30 years of my life (eating meat) I was right around 98.6.

Health has been great though lately. Best I've felt in years.

I was thinking it ought to be a good thing. Like we're not burning ourselves up as quick so we'll live longer.....(women generally have lower temps and live longer (I'm male)) but I just did a search and there's a bunch of sites that say very negative things about having a low body temp. Brain fog, hypothyroidism, 97 - 95 / 36.1 - 35.0: Brain Fog: Coordination declines, mental horizon shrinks.

http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/coldbody.html

I think it sounds like crap though. Or at least not really relevant to me....

I could see how a low temp could give you “brain fog”…. The lower the temp the slower things happen on a cellular level. But it should make you live longer for the same reason. I think you should check your temp with a different thermometer to see if it says the same thing. If you do normally have a low temp you should really know for sure so if you get sick you can tell your doctor what is normal for you.

It is also a good idea for any one with pets to find out what their normal temps are. Back when I had my horse she got sick and I called the vet and they wanted to know what her temp was normally and I didn’t have a clue because I had never thought about taking it until then.

I just don't see how every single human being can have the exact same "normal" temperature of 98.5. We are all individuals, with different physiology.

I agree. A dr once told me that not everyone's normal body temperature is 98.6 -- it can be higher or lower per each individual's physiology. I also agree with madcat that you may want to try a different thermometer to make sure the one you are currently using is accurate.

LOL. I have been eating better though lately. I drink a large fruit smoothy every single day. And eat oatmeal every single day. I think the workout I'm doing also has me feeling good.

I do eat chips and choco a lot though.

I've been researching this low body temp thing online and I cannot find anything good to be said about it at all.

Got an answer from Dr. Fuhrman, Jay.

"Low body temperature (in the light of normal thyroid tests) is related to a slower metabolic rate and may be a sign of slower aging. There is no such thing as a blood pressure too low, unless it is caused by a failing heart. Healthy people with good elastic and youthful vessels have childhood blood pressures which is another sign of a long life. You are going to be around a long long time. Good for you."

Is where mine was last time I went in. In "Beyond the 120 Year Diet" Roy Walford indicates that a lower calorie diet will reduce body temperature. I am just making a guess here, but I assume that a lower calorie diet, or a vegetable based diet take less energy to digest and metabolize than a meat based diet. Therefore, keeping the body temperature at a lower level.

And if that doesn't sound like psuedo-science (my take on it), I don't know what else does!

Jon