IronSmith's Vegan Diet & Exercise Log to Defeat Cancer

276 this morning. My cough is almost gone but my voice is still messed up. Took my Father-in-law out to the dam today to just get him out of the nursing home for a little while. Very sunny but not too hot. He can't walk too far yet so we just sat at a bench for awhile next to the lake enjoying the out doors. Good for the both of us. Got to celebrate every day!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

274 this morning. I have been losing weight faster in the past few weeks than I have since I first began losing weight some 18 months ago. Most of the time it has been very slow going. I think this has been mainly due to a greatly reduced appetite, and some stomach problems. I have been on a lot of antibiotics over the past 18 months and even more so in the past three or four months. I'm sure it has destroyed the friendly bacteria in my gut. When I had my two teeth pulled a few days ago, the Dentist prescribed some more antibiotics. I think this was the last straw. My stomach has been very upset since then. I have even regurgitated a few times and had a lot of heart burn. I swear that modern medicine is killing me! So I have upped my probiotics to hope re-establish more healthy bacteria once again in my gut! While I am happy to lose the weight, I don't think this has been the most healthy way to do it.

My cough continues to slow down. My voice is still very weak. I think the regurgitating with stomach acid didn't do my throat any good. So it goes!

This forum is mainly for persons to build muscle, lower body fat, increase strength, and improve their health over all. Well, at least I'm doing some of that but I hope to become more true to all the goals once again in the near future! I won't give up!

273. Now I'm beginning to scare my self. Now I'm losing too fast. I quit taking my antibiotics and have been taking my probiotics. My stomach has stetted down andI'm hoping my appetite returns today. I do plan on taking it easy and not over loading my stomach even if I feel like I could eat more. Am also going to eat bland foods for awhile. Just want to start feeling better once again. And my cough is slowly getting better. Keep hope alive!

272. Now I'm getting concerned! Too much weight loss too fast! And I actually ate yesterday almost twice the amount I have been able to eat the last several days. But apparently still not enough. However outside my throat, I'm feeling pretty good. Not great but a lot better than a week or so ago.

271 for the second day! I hope my weight loss has leveled off for awhile. It was too much too fast. With cancer you always need to be concerned with the wasting away syndrome. While I do want to lose a lot of weight, I want it to be a controlled lost in a healthy way. I'm still trying to hold on to as much of my muscle mass as possible and lose mostly fat tissue. Hard to do with my hormone depletion therapy but I'm trying to fight the good fight! I feel pretty good today. I plan on going for a walk in a little while and maybe even do a light upper body weightlifting workout latter!

Finally my weight loss has seemed to stabilized. I weighted 273 this morning. As I have in the past, I usually drop down to a low weight for the moment and then rebound a few pounds and level off for awhile. I hope this is the current situation. My too rapid weight loss was scaring me. I want to lose weight but in a much more controlled and safe manner. I think my taking probiotics and enzymes has helped improve my gut and I am feeling much better. My chronic cough has even improved but is still with me. I have had a lot of obstacles in my recovery the past 20 months but I'm still hopeful I'm going to beat my cancer. Never say quit!

272 this morning. I usually don't weight my self so often but with all the recently rapid weight loss I want to keep on top of this. Again I feeling pretty good today. Well rested and my energy levels are good. I did a lot of walking through out the day yesterday and was a little tired last evening but I think it was all for the better. I'm going to try to be fairly active again today and see how it goes. Still have a cough and voice is still affected. Hope this clears up soon!

272 this morning. I appear to be holding around a stable body weight once again. So I will probably stop weighting myself every day for awhile and go back to about once a week. Going to do some walking today and depending how I feel, start a light exercise program on Monday. It will be good to get back in the gym once again. I have been juicing a lot the past three days. Mostly carrot juice. It's a little too sweet for me so I am going to experiment adding other veggies for both taste and added nutrition.

I said I wasn't going to weigh myself everyday for awhile as I though my weight had stabilized. However I was wrong. I had a bad day yesterday. Upset stomach and not able to eat. So I weighted in at 270 this morning. Stomach a lithe better but not much. I hope I can eat more today and hold my weight steady for awhile. I also took a long nap in the afternoon yesterday. I don't usually nap during the day but I felt I needed it. So I didn't get in the walk I hope to take. Very low energy. I seem to be up and down. Tired on living on the roller coaster!

Held at 268 today. Was up in the middle of the night with dry heaves. My stomach is still upset this morning. Is this my next stage of cancer or is this from my throat problems? Or are my throat problems caused by my cancer? The questions just keep going around and around in my head. I really don't know. I just need to take one day at a time doing the most positive things I can to take care of myself and pray for the best!

267. My weight just keeps going down. I could hardly eat at all yesterday. I didn't take any of my meds this morning hoping that maybe they might be one of the factors that are upsetting my stomach. We will see. If they are, then I have to get to my Doctors to figure out what to do next.

265. The good news is this is a total loss of 95 pounds since I first became aware of my prostate problems a year ago last February. That an average of 5.27 pounds loss every month. It has been very slow going except for the past few weeks. But I rather do it slow than so fast that it injures my health. At this rate, I should be about 245 by Christmas which would be good. My over all goal is to get below 200 and then reassess where I'm at. Over weight men have more prostate cancer relapses than thin ones. They tend to convert their testosterone to estrogen which increases their risk levels. So getting thinner is part of my over all plan to beat my cancer. That plus clean vegan diet as organic as I can without any processed foods and 50 to 80 % raw. Cut out as many pollutants in my my life as possible. Filtered drinking water and in my shower. I've changed all my personal hygiene products to those without chemicals, dyes, fluorides, aluminum, etc. I'm trying to keep my pH to 7.2 or higher as cancer can not exist in an alkaline environment. I'm also trying to work with my new Alternative Medicine Doctor to treat my prostate cancer in a natural manner. No more of main stream cancer treatment's "Standard of Care" of cut, burn, or poison, that is surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. However all the supplements etc are very expensive and are not covered by medical insurance even though it less expensive than all the drugs, chemo, etc of standard care. Go figure!

268 this morning. I actually gained some weight. May be only water weight but at least I'm not currently free falling like I was. My stomach is not completely OK but I am at least able to eat fairly decent amounts once again as long as they are small meals 4-5 times a day. Eating clean and bland for now. Also taking my probiotics and enzymes which seem to help.

I have not written about this but I lost a very good friend last week that effected me greatly. His names was Joe and I met him at chlelation therapy about two years ago. He also had prostate cancer and was fighting it using natural alternative medicine methods. He was a friend, a mentor, and a real inspiration. I learned a lot from Joe. We were always sharing ideas, resources, and encouraging each other. He was making excellent progress and his success helped give me courage and hope. Then this past Tuesday he died at a restaurant from a massive heart attack. I may be wrong about this but I don't think he had any history of heart problems. This was a total shock to all of us who knew Joe. It's just one of those things that just doesn't make any sense. He was trim, very active, ate very clean, and looked very healthy! He was only 61 years old. I went to his memorial service on Saturday in Columbus and the large church was almost completely full with friends and family paying their last respects. He was truly a very loved and respected man. A true gentleman who brought so much grace and love into this world. I will miss him greatly. RIP Joe!

Thanks for your kind words PhytoAthlete. I think there is a lot the entire medical field doesn't know about most diseases. They do more to treat symptoms but seem to do poorly with causes!

Busy past two days. My weight has stabilized around 265-268 for the time being. I would like it to hold for another week or so then I would like to slowly lose weight again in a more healthy manner. We will see. Friday my brother-in-law flew up from Florida to pick up his Dad, Lester. He will take Lester down to live with him on a permeant basis.Lester is 93 years old and has recovered very well from his closely operation. He is able to walk OK again and is doing very well. But his early Alzheimer's is progressing. He is unable to care for his closely bag and changing it. My brother-in-law is a nurse and will take good care of him. He works out of his home 4 days a week and will have another care taker with Lester on the fifth day of the week. WE had a big family get together on Friday evening for the grandsons and their families to say goodbye to Lester. We had over 25 people in our home for the party. I was not able to prepare my usual big vegan feast I usually put on when we have there get togethers. My wife picked up some food to bring in and it worked out OK. But I miss doing it all my self. I have everyone usually looking forward to my "tree hugger" food. I'm slowly converting people to consider going vegan. Oh, well.

Saturday we drove Wayne and Lester to the airport and then I took Rita out to dinner at the Cheese Cake Factory. They have a few meals there I can eat and it worked out good. Rita was very upset to see her Father leave and she is a fried she may never see him again alive. But I think we will. Rita said now she can focus her full attention to taking care of me. That kinda of scares me for some reason. LOL Anyways, life goes on and I do need to keep my focus on getting better.

This Wednesday I go to a speech therapist to help me with swallowing and speaking. My Ear, Nose, and Throat Doctor, who still believes my throat problems are caused by my prostate cancer,is considering performing an operation on one of my vocal cords that is paralyzed. He want to inject some fluid into the vocal cord so it will meet the other vocal cord half way as they close to help me swallow. Always something. But first he want to see if the speech therapist can help me. I hope so.

I have been walking more. Almost every day I am able to take a nice walk and I love it. Getting out in the sun and recharging my Vit. D levels is a big part of my self care for my Prostate Cancer.

267 again this morning. I appear to have stabilized my weight for the time being. I am thankful. I just was losing way to fast for a few weeks and my entire family was concerned. My stomach has almost completely stetted down. I think eating very bland small meals and taking my probiotics and enzymes really helped. Today I plan on going on a long walk in the sun this morning. And doing a very light leg workout later this afternoon. I need to slowly build up my strength once again. When I weight myself in the morning I go down into my basement gym and use my medical scale. Then I walk back up the stairs. Currently just that effort leaves me breathless for a little while. I used to run stadium stairs with lots of endurance. I need to build up my endurance to a more acceptable level once again. I will not go gently into the night. I will continue to fight for my life. I have promises to keep.

Hey there-thought I'd check in to see how your week went. I'm still following along with your journey. I read a book the other day called, "From Hormone Hell to Hormone Well". I thought of you in as far as the hormones related to cancer as well as the excessive hormones in our lives each day that we don't think about! I read the book to help with my worsening PMS and other issues related to estrogen dominance!! A few docs only want to throw anti-depressants at the symptoms.... I'm against that! I'd rather find the root of the problem and treat if possible! Anyway, enough about me-it was a great eye-opening read about hormones!

Hope your doing well!! I too love daily sunshine for vit D!