Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan's "Starting Over Again" Log
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:14 pm 
Gorilla

Nice gym setup! I would definitely count moving all those racks and weights as a workout. Also, I don't think you'll have any trouble attracting clients if you decide to go public.

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:06 am 
Stegosaurus

Thanks, asparagus! It's coming along nicely, but still will be about 7-10 days before the other side is complete. We're setting up the center for group classes as one of our members wants to run cardio sessions in the afternoon/early evening, and the outside will house the 20+ machines we've accumulated plus all the strongman implements as well. It'll be awesome once completely done, I can't wait to see how things turn out when it's all in place.

Quick leg/chest session tonight amid the 87 degree gym temps with 70% humidity (storm just a bit north of us is ramping the humidity rapidly tonight!)

Squats, all 2" or more below parallel -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x3 @ 185
1x3 @ 225
1x2 @ 275
1x2 @ 315
10x2 @ 330

In between, I did my benching, regular bar this time instead of axle -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x3 @ 185
1x2 @ 225
1x2 @ 245
1x1 @ 265
1x1 @ 285
10x5 @ 225, alternating between grips of torso width, 3" wider than torso, and 6" wider than torso (each hand 6" out from original torso width position)

Kept the pace up, just about 45-60 seconds rest between working sets, wrapped up with 2x25 reverse hypers with a light 50 lbs. and 2x25 close grip bench sets @ 135 lbs. to finish.

Dumped some cold water over my head to keep from passing out afterward, called it a day.

I'll likely be gone for some time from posting, got a lot on my plate these days that's dominating every free moment now as well as for the next 3 months, and stress is at an all-time high to make it even more grueling. Going to keep training as normal even if I don't log anything (getting in for my 11 PM sessions when able), but probably won't be frequenting this or any other sites online for a few months while I get some large projects complete and take care of what's most important these days to keep the distractions away. Best to everyone, hopefully I'll be back again in the fall or winter!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:52 pm 
Gorilla

Saw this & thought of you! As you enjoy upper back work:)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... igger_yoke

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:53 pm 
Gorilla

Perfect set up! Racks & more racks! Not a isolation mc in sight lol

"Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter" Jim Wendler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:16 pm 
Stegosaurus

Popping in for a quick log update -

Still working to rebuild the squat and DL strength, last week was a good week for pulling, did 5x2 @ 375 followed by 2x10 @ 315, so I'm guessing that I'm good for 400 easily enough now, onward back to 500+ slow and steady. No rush, not expecting to get to 500+ until next spring, but it's nice to not feel like my lower back is going to snap in half as it did at the start of the year.

Squats, have had to change up a bit as the deads are leaving me fairly fried, last week was 330, 335, 340, 345 and 350x5, now will be alternating light/heavy weeks with squats and deads to prevent my recovery from taking a nosedive. Last night, changed gears to safety squat bar work, did 250, 255, 260, 265, 270 and 275x10, hands on support beams in rack to allow rock-bottom depth and no tipping forward, upped to 3x5 @ 315 afterward and called it a day.

Overhead strength is stil holding solid, managed a fairly easy 240 strict press with the axle last week, making it officially 10 lbs. over bodyweight without leg drive, which was a first. I think when I hit my PR strict press of 250, I weighed abotu 3 lbs. over that number, so it's nice to finally be able to strict press more than I weigh for once!

Gym is still progressing nicely, they're FINALLY putting in our new bathroom this week so we don't have to walk down to another section of the warehouse in another unit as we've been doing all month so far. Got a TON of new equipment and plates in as well that we'll be setting up as soon as the bathroom is finished and we can paint the floors in that room. We managed to acquire 6 more lifting platforms, about 2500 lbs. more in bumper plates, about a half dozen more assorted benches and power racks, plus a few more Hammer Strength machines for good measure. Right now, the 2nd half of the facility looks like an iron scrapyard until we get it all put together and set up, hopefully in about a week it's going to be awesome on both sides of the facility, pics will come when it's finally done!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 pm 
Stegosaurus

Another occcasional update -

Lower back/overhead press day -

Deadlifts -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 225
1x3 @ 275
1x2 @ 315
5x5 @ 340, all very fast and easy

Overhead strict axle press -
1x10 @ empty 55 lb. axle
1x5 @ 145 lbs.
1x3 @ 175
1x2 @ 195
1x2 @ 215
5x2 @ 220

Safety squat bar good mornings, moving to do them very light again after reading a recent Wendler article suggesting to not approach it like other heavy work -
3x25 @ 135 lbs., using hips/glutes to shoot it up fast every rep

Seated strict press, wide grip, touching collarbone in front every rep -
3x10 @ 135 lbs.
1x20 @ 95

Reverse hyperextension machine -
2x20 @ 90 lbs.
1x25 @ 70 lbs.

Called it a day, should be doing some upper back work again soon!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:29 pm 
Gorilla

Nice! I envy your OHP. Someday I'll get there...

I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:35 pm 
Stegosaurus

I'm sure you will, asparagus! :) Overhead strength, if nothing else, takes time and dedication more than I think most other parts do, unless you're some sort of freak who has naturally great shoulder strength (most of us do not have it so lucky!)

Train them hard, train them heavy, high reps and low reps, dumbbell and barbell, partial ROM and full ROM....everything that makes you work hard with overhead pressing tends to pay off in the long run, just that the returns are usually slow and most people don't bother putting in the time needed to get there. And, don't forget those triceps and upper back, they play a part in having a strong overhead press almost as much as the shoulders themselves!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:08 pm 
Stegosaurus

Upper back and chest training last night -

Swiss Bar bent over rows (bar with 3 sets of 30 degree angled handles instead of normal straight bar) -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 185
1x5 @ 225
3x5 @ 265
1x8 @ 245
1x12 @ 225
1x20 @ 185

Flat barbell bench -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 185
1x3 @ 225
1x2 @ 245
1x1 @ 265
1x1 @ 285
1x1 @ 295, tough rep, barely made it tonight, not great for going heavy
5x2 @ 265
2x8 @ 225

Weighted chins with Pit Shark (machine where you attach weight to a belt setup for weighted dips or chins, but keeps your body stable as it pulls downward with a slight angle without any swing of the added weight) -
3x8 @ 70 lbs. added, first set not too bad, 2nd set got 5 and had to take a few seconds between each remaining rep, final set tough as hell, had to do about 5 seconds between each rep to get them in, the Pit Shark gives a whole new learning curve to pull-ups!

Swiss Bar flat benching -
1x20 @ 150 lbs. torso width angled grip
1x20 @ 150 lbs. medium angled grip w/ hands about 12" apart, very tough!

Blue monster band V-handle rows, band looped around support beam, tension about 100 lbs. at start, close to 180-200 lbs. at finish of pull
3x20

That was it, deadlifting tomorrow to get back to my 5x5 style plan for those again!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:45 pm 
Stegosaurus

Lower back and overhead work last night -

Deadlifts -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 225
1x3 @ 275
1x3 @ 315
5x5 @ 350, all easy and fast, two more weeks until testing @ 370, then it's time to get working over 400 again!

Standing strict overhead axle press -
1x5 @ empty axle (55 lb.)
1x5 @ 145 lbs.
1x3 @ 195
1x1 @ 205
1x1 @ 215
1x1 @ 225
1x1 @ 235
5x5 @ 200

Pull-throughs, using orange band tied around support pillar w/ rope attached -
3x20

Seated barbell shoulder press -
2x8 @ 145 lbs.

Reverse hyperextensions -
3x20 @ 70 lbs.

Threw in some trapezius stuff at the end for good measure, middle back is starting to get stronger but need to make sure upper back doesn't slack as well -

Safety squat bar Hise shrugs -
3x20 @ 325 lbs.

DB shrugs lying face down on 45 degree angle bench -
3x30 @ 85 lb. DBs

Band pull-aparts -
3x20

Called it a day, doing upper back and possibly legs on Monday!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:06 am 
Stegosaurus

Upper back night tonight, too worn out for legs, will do those with chest on Wednesday.

Swiss bar bent over rows -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 185
4x10 @ 235 lbs. (2 sets slightly wider than torso, 2 sets slightly narrower than torso width)

Pull-ups (234 lbs. clothed and with shoes tonight) -
2x12 wide grip just beyond shoulder width
1x12 medium grip

T-bar rows with V handle and barbell wedged into corner -
2x15 @ 200 lbs.

Inverted rows with Swiss bar handle in power rack -
2x25 @ bodyweight

Wrapped up with 3x40 for dip shrugs, decided that it was time for my once-every-6-weeks day of some biceps work, threw in 2x15 EZ bar preacher curls @ 75 lbs. for good measure as I was shutting the facility down for the night.

Feeling great lately, still stripping off the fat slowly (the first 3 months were great, past month has been only a pound or two, but still progress since I'm also still getting stronger), still working my way down to about 225 (I range from 228.5 to 231 any given morning) before I shift gears and start rebuilding the size again, this time eating CLEANLY and not using it as an excuse to get fat again.

Not going to set any massive goals for myself for the coming months - holidays are creeping up fast, come late October I will no longer have much of a personal life (as usual) and will be pretty much living at work for 3 months straight, so it'll be all I can do this winter to keep things consistent, keep training at least 2-3 times per week, and not let my diet turn back to crap. I believe I may have finally built the discipline this time around to make it through the October-February "live to work" routine, but of course, we'll see how it goes in due time. Now, to get my squat and deadlift each well into the 400s again before that time rolls around in about 6-7 weeks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:52 pm 
Stegosaurus

No leg or chest work last week, missed a day, but will get back on that ASAP. Tonight was shoulders and lower back work instead -

Standing strict overhead axle press -
1x10 @ empty 55 lb. axle
1x5 @ 145 lbs.
1x3 @ 195
1x3 @ 215
1x2 @ 220
1x1 @ 225
1x1 @ 230
1x1 @ 235
1x1 @ 240
Gave 245 a scare, but didn't lock it out fully. Dropped weight down -
3x6 @ 195 lbs. to wrap it up

Deadlifts -
1x5 @ 135 lbs.
1x5 @ 225
1x3 @ 315
5x5 @ 360, all reps fast and easy, felt like every set could have been an easy 8-10, but that's not the goal right now, gotta stay focused and keep myself in check.

Seated strict barbell overhead press -
2x12 @ 135 lbs., medium grip, all reps touching collarbone, none of that "lower only to the ears" garbage that lets people lift more than they are truly capable of :) I found that I can squeak out about 3-4 more reps when I cut them short, so no point in making life easier, time to get stronger.

Good mornings with black thick bands on bar, no plates, tension around 50 lbs. at bottom, about 150 lbs. at finish -
2x15 done fast for speed

Reverse hyperextensions -
2x25 @ 70 lbs., all reps squeezed with glutes and hams, no cheat

Good quick session tonight, spending the day at the Bay View Bash strongman contest tomorrow to spectate and give a hand if they need any help, should be fun. Squats and benching on Sunday, one more session Tuesday, then it's off to Baltimore for the Natural Products Expo, so I'll be missing training from Wednesday through Saturday, but will be back on track the following Sunday!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:55 pm 
Gorilla

VeganEssentials wrote:
Gave 245 a scare, [...]

LOL, if you were pressing me overhead I'd be scared too, and I'm only 195.

VeganEssentials wrote:
[...] all reps touching collarbone, none of that "lower only to the ears" garbage that lets people lift more than they are truly capable of :)

+1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:54 pm 
Stegosaurus

asparagus wrote:
VeganEssentials wrote:
[...] all reps touching collarbone, none of that "lower only to the ears" garbage that lets people lift more than they are truly capable of :)

+1

Yeah, I've never really understood the notion of people shorting some of the most critical 6-8" of ROM in the movement. Most likely because it's a LOT harder to get a bar moving from touching your collarbone than it is from 1/3 of the way up when people are also getting more rebound from the stretch reflex on each rep as well :wink:

I find that most people tend to be REALLY weak from the racked collar position even if they are halfway decent pressers, so it would do most folks a lot of good to spend some time working their weak points instead of stroking their egos by handling more weight or knocking out more reps with a shortened ROM. After all, you don't hear anyone prescribing that you cut your bench press reps a half foot before they touch your chest, why would shoulders be any different! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:55 pm 
Stegosaurus

Didn't get to train as planned so far, but am trying to make up for it tomorrow on Tuesday at all costs with a mega chest/legs/upper back session if I can squeeze it all in. Had to work until the sun came up last night, will probably be the same tonight, so all I can do is get enough done so that I can take off Tuesday night to hit the gym before leaving for Baltimore on Wed. morning. Fingers crossed I won't get screwed out of my planned training time tomorrow night!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 89  Next