Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Asparagus Strength Journey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:11 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Set 1

today:

5 wide grip pullups
5 minutes treadmill
2x5 wide grip pullups

Squats, ATG:
5x45 lbs
5x105
5x160
5x200
5x230
9x260

short workout - no assistance

Went ATG on the final set of squats for the first time. 260 is only 85% of my target this cycle (305) and only 76% of my theoretical parallel squat 1RM (340), so I was sure that I could do at least a few of them. I had to pause each time before the last few reps, but I'm happy that I could bang out so many. I'm curious to see how hard it is later in the cycle when the weights get heavier. Going to stick with it regardless. I did notice that towards the end of the set I was a little forward in my balance, so my hips didn't get as low since my knees poked out a bit farther than usual. I still went down until my hams and calves were squashed together though. I didn't have a lot of time today so I had to skip out on the assistance work.

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:14 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

6 reps with 85% is solid, well done! As you said, the leaning forward was probably due to fatigue if you don't normally do that. Great work though mate.

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:44 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks. This cycle has been great so far, I'm really feeling stronger and loving it! :boxer:

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Set 2

today:

Quick set of 3 pullups then 5 minutes on treadmill

Military:
5x45 lbs
5x75
3x105
3x120
7x135

Pullups: 5x7 alternating grips
Dips: 5x8

Still no jump rope replacements at the gym. :( I guess I'll have to go ahead and order one for myself. I figured I'd get 6 presses today, but I was feeling great on #6 so I went for it and handily pressed #7. It got really slow about half-way up as usual, I yelled a bit, lockout was super-slow, but I hit it. Finishing the pullups sets was probably easier because I didn't do my usual warmup pullups. I scaled back my programmed dips to 8 reps instead of 9 which turned out to be reasonable as it was difficult to even finish 8 reps each set.

I didn't run today because I got a late start at the gym and had to get back to the office. That means no running this week.

So far I'm definitely noticing some strength gains on the 5/3/1 program even though it's only been 2.5 months. I've bounced back from my 6 week break quicker than I thought I would, which is probably due to the all out reps on the last set of each workout. I've been hitting decent reps on all my lifts which theoretically translate to 1RM strength gains. I'm probably not going to test my maxes until the end of the year, so I'll stick with the program at least until then. At that point I might switch to Madcow for more emphasis on benching (twice a week) or change up my assistance for more chest and back support.

I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:56 pm 
Gorilla

Experienced a little soreness in the quads after Tuesday's ATG squats, lasted through today but I didn't feel it anymore by the time I left for the gym.

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Set 2

today:

3 pullups, 5 minutes treadmill, 3 pullups

Deadlift:
5x155 lbs
5x225
3x270
3x305
7x345

GHR: 4x13, 1x15
Leg raise: 3x12, 2x12

I tried the hook grip today, with poor results. It seems that my hook grip is actually weaker than my double overhand. I'm probably doing it wrong, but it's uncomfortable as hell, painful, weak, and just plain doesn't feel right. I used it on my first two sets, which were very light but my grip was crap and it was difficult keeping the bar from slipping down to my fingers. Then I switched back to DOH grip for the next two and they went as normal. I then tried hook grip again on my last set and I could barely get the first rep down to the floor again before my grip gave out. I thought it might have just been bad thumb position so I quickly adjusted and went again, but as soon as the bar left the floor it slipped into my fingers and stayed there for the whole ROM. I gave up on it and switched to over/under but my momentum and concentration were gone. The rest of the lift went like crap - my form was off, my breathing was off, I had to pause twice to balance myself to finish the set whereas normally I'd just bang it all out in one go. I might just be stuck with over/under on my work sets...

The stand that I usually do my leg raises on was heavily occupied so I did the first 3 sets on the decline situp bench, holding onto the foot pad handle and raising my legs until they were vertical. This was much harder than the leg raises I have been doing (propped up on forearms, raising legs until feet are at/above eye level). I could barely finish the third set, even with pauses near the end. I switched back to my old style for the last 2 sets and my core was done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:45 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Set 2

today:

4 pullups
5 minutes treadmill
4 pullups

Bench:
5x45 lbs
5x95
3x150
3x170
7x190

DB row: 2x10x50 lbs, 25Lx75, 24Rx75
Pullups: 4x3, 1x6

Hitting 7 reps on bench today was easy. I probably could have muscled out 8, but last bench session I went for that extra rep I felt good about and ended up stuck under the bar. Hit more on the rows than I thought I would, 25 on the left and 24 on the right. My form was a little shitty at the end, but I'm not surprised given that I was able to do 5 more reps than last time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:56 pm 

Great benching there buddy, good progress as well.

Are you just benching 'touch and go' style or do you like to pause on the chest? Hope you had a great weekend and didn't have to work haha MF.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:03 pm 
Gorilla

I generally just touch and go on the bench. I'm pretty happy with the bench progress I'm making, 5/3/1 is working out great so far.

Haha, no work, but I do have a toddler at home so I'm plenty busy all weekend long, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 pm 

asparagus wrote:
Haha, no work, but I do have a toddler at home so I'm plenty busy all weekend long, lol.

Yeah, I know what that feels like. My eldest daughter is 6 and the younger one turns 4 next month, make the most of them being a toddler as they grow up so fast !!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:49 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Set 2

today:

5 pullups
5 mins treadmill
5 pullups

Squats:
5x115 lbs
5x165
3x215
3x245
7x275

pullups: 3x3
Ab wheel: 5x15
Lunges: 5x15 +20 lbs each leg

The weights felt heavy today on squats. I didn't have good concentration on the final set and resulted in poor form and poor depth. The first few went OK, but then I started leaning farther forward and not getting much past parallel on the last few, although I'm sure my knees were well out past my toes so my leg angle was really small. I let my shoulders go slack and the bar sunk down a little low, which is what made me lean forward at the bottom to keep balance. Hopefully I feel a little better going into the squats next set, I'd like to finish out this cycle on a good workout.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:41 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Set 3

today:

3 slow pullups
5 minutes treadmill

Military
10x45 lbs
5x75
5x110
3x125
5x140

Pullups: 8,8,8,6,8 alternating grips
Dips: 6x8

The final set on Military is green for technically passing my requirement, but I was shooting for 6 reps on it. I'm a little disappointed but on rep 5 I knew I wouldn't hit 6. It's still a slight increase (2 lbs) on my 1RM calculation from last cycle, so I guess I shouldn't complain. I figured I'd do better than 2 lbs in a month, though. However, at the end of last month I was only hitting 5x6 pullups, so that's a pretty good increase. Dips was an easy 8 reps per set and I probably could have hit 9; I'll go for 5x9 next time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:18 pm 

Well you were only one rep off, and nice work for realising that you probably wouldn't have got it. I wouldn't feel too pissed off, still a good heavy set for decent reps there. Good stuff! MF

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 pm 
Gorilla

Thanks, MF.

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Set 3

today:

5 minutes treadmill

Deadlift:
5x135 lbs hook grip
5x225 hook grip
5x285 4 hook grip, 1 DOH
3x325 DOH
6x365 over/under

Glute ham raise: 5x15
Leg raise: 5x13
Standing bar hold, 225 lbs double overhand grip: 3x30 seconds, 1 minute rest in between

I think I'm going to keep working on the hook grip on my deadlift days and try to do all my warmups with it. Once it failed on the 3rd warmup set I decided to switch to double overhand. I was barely able to hit all 3 at 325 w/ double overhand. My grip was about to fail on the last rep at 365, even with over/under. That last one was a grinder, but it felt great to get it up. I wouldn't have been happy with only 5 reps on this so I made myself do it.

I could barely finish out the leg raise. At the end of the last two sets my toes were barely at chest level.

For some added grip work, as per VE's suggestions in a separate thread, I added some static holds at the end of the workout. The bar was down in my fingers at the end of the third set. Tried to do a static hang after stretching out and couldn't hold onto the pullup bar at all. My hands are worked!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:57 pm 
Stegosaurus

Glad to see the static holds being put in there for grip work! :) Give them a month or two done a few times per week, eventually you'll find that there won't be a deadlift you'll worry about losing due to lack of grip strength!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:07 am 

I agree, I always like to do a few sets of 'grip work', whether that's static holds or bar hangs it all comes together to serve the same purpose.

To add to that, I stopped using straps years ago and that's also helped my grip strength no end.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:50 pm 
Gorilla

I've never used straps, so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I don't plan to use them. I subscribe to the "totally raw" school as far as lifting goes. I like to lift only what my body can do by itself. I'm sure I could lift more with "help" but that's not what I'm after. I've got nothing against anyone who uses straps/belts/etc., as long as they're using them for the right reason (not because they can't be bothered to train properly). I will also probably never enter a competition (although I have a fantasy about getting huge and doing strongman, which will probably never happen because I don't want to get huge).

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Set 3

today:

4 slow pullups
5 minutes treadmill
4 slow pullups

Bench:
5x45 lbs
5x95
5x135
5x160
3x180
6x200

DB rows: 2x10x50 lbs, 19x80
Pullups: 5x4 alternating grips

steps
4 sets 5x28 steps, 1.5 minutes rest between sets
HR after: 162 BPM
2 minutes after: 122
15 minutes after: 104

I really need to get myself a jump rope. Bench went well. The 6 reps at 200 was actually easy and I made it at least 1/3 the way up on #7. I'm making great progress on my bench press, which I'm super happy about. My DB rows are also progressing really quickly, although while doing stronglifts previously I was able to BB row 5x200 lbs so I'm really just building back up at a good pace.

I ran steps again for the first time in a couple weeks, pretty standard performance.

I forgot to do static holds today. I'll hopefully remember to add them on Friday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next