Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:35 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:38 pm
Posts: 92
I'm trying to keep the protein rather high (130 grams) and the fat low (12 grams)... It IS possible but I'm relying on protein powder all the time.... tofu and tempeh are too high in fat! same goes , of course for nuts!

If I also want to keep my carbs moderate (lower that the protein), then it gets difficult...

I want to lose fat but no muscle and with these ratios my calories are about 1100...wich I guess it's ok for me since I'm just 5"2 and about 107 lbs....

I tryed soy protein isolate cos it has more protein and less carbs than pea protein but I got so bloated I looked pregnant! :oops: ... and couldn't almost sleep...

I don't want my wokouts to suffer and feel a bit tired...but maybe because of not sleeping enough...

Any ideas for high protein / low fat?

as for working out I try to workout 5 times a week, 1 hour cardio, and 1 hour (light) lifting... sometimes also 25 minutes core training...

I would appreciate your commentaries!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm
Posts: 196
Location: USA
At 1100 calories a day and 130 grams of protein and 12 grams of fat, you are getting 520 calories from protein and 108 from fat, that puts your percentages at 47% protein and 10% fat. So I think you are already consuming a high protein low fat diet.

I personally think at 107 lbs. your protein intake is too high. I think 105 grams would be plenty and even little lower if you wanted. 10% fat for the exercising you are doing is low in my opinion, unless you are trying to lose fat for an upcoming bodybuilding meet.

If you lower your protein to 105 grams, that is 100 less calories from protein and puts you at 38% protein. I would make up that difference in the calories(100)with fat, which would be 11 more grams of fat a day, which would get your fat percentage to 19%.

Of course, percentages can vary depending on what you wanting to accomplish and what works best for you.

_________________
http://www.the-phytoathlete.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:34 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
I think with the amount of exercise you are doing, 1500 calories would be a much better daily total. Also, you are definitely getting enough protein at this point, so I would simply add a few hundred calories to your diet, mostly in the form of fat. Why are you so afraid of consuming fat in your diet?

_________________
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:02 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:38 pm
Posts: 92
Actually, based on the last days, what you guys say is much more realistic than what I intended....The thing is that last week I got quite good results and I think it is because of reducing fat (among other things)... anyway, this week my plan has a bit more fat and a bit less protein, let's see waht happens... If it doesn't work I would have to go back to last week's plan... tho it's really expensive!...

About the calories... with 1500 I don't lose any weight or fat for what I have observed :/ I wish I would....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 pm 
Offline
Finch

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 3
I have been a vegan for about 2 months and recently began working out with a trainer. I am a 5'9'' female... He wants me to eat 1300 calories per day, 110 g of protein, 50 g of carbs, 25 g of fat. Is this healthy? At this point, I can't even imagine how I can do it - it seems to be very hard to stay under 50 g carbs while also getting enough protein from whole foods, and I have been taking protein powder. I am not sure he knows much about vegan diets, but apparently I don't either, and I am trying to figure out if I need to modify his suggestions or not. Any reactions or suggestions? Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm
Posts: 196
Location: USA
at2444 wrote:
I have been a vegan for about 2 months and recently began working out with a trainer. I am a 5'9'' female... He wants me to eat 1300 calories per day, 110 g of protein, 50 g of carbs, 25 g of fat. Is this healthy? At this point, I can't even imagine how I can do it - it seems to be very hard to stay under 50 g carbs while also getting enough protein from whole foods, and I have been taking protein powder. I am not sure he knows much about vegan diets, but apparently I don't either, and I am trying to figure out if I need to modify his suggestions or not. Any reactions or suggestions? Thanks!


How much do you weigh?

The breakdown on your pro, carbs and fat does not come out to 1300 calories, only 865 calories. That can be figured by---protein and carbs equal roughly 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories per gram.

But regardless, yeah the 50g carbs seems very low.

This appears to be your first post here, welcome to the forum.

_________________
http://www.the-phytoathlete.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:59 pm 
Offline
Finch

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 3
Thank you!

I weigh 170, so this is a weight loss plan while weight training...

As an example, yesterday I ate a banana before a worked out and had 1/2 cup black beans at lunch - that would be all of the carbs I would be allowed... I ended up with 150 carbs for the day, 41 g fat, 76 g protein, 1,243 calories. It seems that eating nuts is putting me over on fat and beans/fruit on carbs, but I am eating pretty much all whole foods. Today I am already at 67 carbs because I ate an apple for 20 carbs - the rest came mostly from my protein powder, kale, and beets...

Its seems like I can stay within the calories no problem by eating mostly whole foods, and I can probably get the fat down by reducing the nuts, but then I'm losing that protein (I'm not even close to the recommended 110 g protein with 2 scoops of Sunwarrior powder a day).

I would like to at least eat 2 pieces of fruit per day, but that will pretty much blow my carbs... I have not been eating any refined carbs - basically just brown rice and quinoa.

My recommended goals just don't feel right based on what I am eating - any thoughts?

Thanks!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:18 pm 
Offline
Stegosaurus
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 3059
Location: Waukesha, WI
Eat one piece of fruit before training, one with your post-workout nutrition afterward. Two best times you'll be able to eat carbs (fuel for training, refueling afterward) if you're keeping them lower, so two pieces split over a few hours when they'll be put to the best use by your body shouldn't throw things off much.

_________________
"A 'hardgainer' is merely someone who hasn't bothered to try enough different training methods to learn what is actually right for their own damned body." - anonymous


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:05 pm
Posts: 196
Location: USA
at2444 wrote:
Thank you!

I weigh 170, so this is a weight loss plan while weight training...

As an example, yesterday I ate a banana before a worked out and had 1/2 cup black beans at lunch - that would be all of the carbs I would be allowed... I ended up with 150 carbs for the day, 41 g fat, 76 g protein, 1,243 calories. It seems that eating nuts is putting me over on fat and beans/fruit on carbs, but I am eating pretty much all whole foods. Today I am already at 67 carbs because I ate an apple for 20 carbs - the rest came mostly from my protein powder, kale, and beets...

Its seems like I can stay within the calories no problem by eating mostly whole foods, and I can probably get the fat down by reducing the nuts, but then I'm losing that protein (I'm not even close to the recommended 110 g protein with 2 scoops of Sunwarrior powder a day).

I would like to at least eat 2 pieces of fruit per day, but that will pretty much blow my carbs... I have not been eating any refined carbs - basically just brown rice and quinoa.

My recommended goals just don't feel right based on what I am eating - any thoughts?

Thanks!!


I don't think you need 110 grams of protein a day. The 70-80g range should be fine, like you got in your yesterday example above. In you above example, you were roughly at 50% carb, 25% fat and 25% protein.(fat is slightly higher than that). So if you want to reduce calories anymore, I would reduce the fat, which would probably mean reducing/eliminating the nuts in your case. I am a fan of nuts and they are good for you, but if you are wanting to reduce calories, in your case they are probably the best thing to eliminate and not worry about the less protein you will get without eating them because you don't need 110 grams of protein. You may not need the protein powders either, depending on where your protein intake is without them.

_________________
http://www.the-phytoathlete.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 am 
Offline
Finch

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 3
Thanks for your feedback! I will give it a shot...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:16 am 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:38 pm
Posts: 92
Hmmm... the lowest I could go on carbs was about 100... that seems to work too... but when I have about 150 then no weight loss or fat loss... :( ... the lowest I managed was 75 g (one day) and the day after I weighed 1 kilo more!!!! (that day I had a lot of fat 54 g.)...I don't know but maybe low carb is not for everybody...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: high protein , low fat.... is it possible?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 pm 
Offline
Rabbit

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:05 am
Posts: 11
MuskelKatze wrote:
the lowest I managed was 75 g (one day) and the day after I weighed 1 kilo more!!!! (that day I had a lot of fat 54 g.)...I don't know but maybe low carb is not for everybody...


Your body doesn't work like that. It will not add significant weight the day after eating more. It has to be sustained as your body fights very hard to keep the status quo.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group