How many days a week you guys don't workout ?

MuskelKatze

As for me, I try to go to the gym 5 days a week, each time for about two hours: one hour cardio, one hour light lifting (one hour bodycombat , one hour bodypump usually)....and I don't know if that's too little, too much or just right, LOL, yes, I'm a total newbie in this field...

I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder, just losing some fat and building some muscle ... So... what do you people think? with the 5 days I've been doing quite ok in terms of not feeling too tired...til last week that I was feeling more tired than normally (maybe cos I reduced my calorie intake...?)

I certainly don't think that is too little. Everybody is different and you got to figure out what works for you.

Exercising does put stress on the body and causes free radicals to form and over training can cause harm to the body, and not the just the short term tiredness you may feel but long term can put you at higher risk of various diseases. I don't think you are that point right now as far as possibly causing problems down the road, but if you are feeling tired you may want to shorten your work out times are take few more days off. Sometimes it takes awhile for over training to catch up with you and to start feeling the effects, maybe that is what is happening to you now.

Well, it seems this week I'm really fit again not tired at all...Maybe I was lacking sleep, but as for now, I think what I'm doing is fine ...yesterday I did more than usual, 1h h bodycombat (cardio) 1h bodypump (lifting), 40 mins abs training and 20 mins cross fit (son of a bitch strenous training , consisting on a series of lunges, burpees, squats, running and push-ups, as many rounds as you can finish in the 20 minutes) and today I felt I could do it again

So if I understand correctly, you worked out for 3 hrs yesterday, in what sounds like pretty intense workout the entire time?

If so, I hate to be the one who suggest to someone to workout less, even if you feel you are capable of doing it, but I would think about doing less. Long term, this many hours exercising is probably not the best option for your health. By this I am referrring to your total hours per week working out if you are doing 3 hrs a day, doing a 3 hr. workout once a week or so isn't a big deal if your total hours per week doesn't get too high.

That was a one time thing normally it's 2 hours and 5 times a week... but there are people who train much more (trainers, athletes...) and have no problem... I really wanted to stay for all the classes and same goes for monday to thursday the 2x 1h. class + 20 minutes... then again I don't want to get burnt out or something.... so...maybe some days I should do one hour instead of two... well, sometimes I have to anyway because I finish work later... I think what I'm doing is not too much, unless for last monday....

Sure.

I have some info. about my workouts on my site under the "about me" section. But I have adjusted that slightly a few months back(i need to update it on the site) after reading info. from a marthoner/triathlete who found that actually doing less has helped him, mainly by doing less exercise with his heart rate above 130 beats per minute. He recommended only getting your heart rate above that once a week and only for a 30 minute time frame mainly with interval training.

I also read an interview where olympic swimmer Dara Torres was doing a similar thing in her workouts leading up to the recent olympics. She said she was swimming as good as ever at 45 yrs of age. Although, she just missed making the team this year.

I used to do intervals in my 1x/wk bike ride every time and my heavybag workout, getting my heart rate to the 150-160 range for 30 minutes. Now, I just do intervals in one of those exercises a week and keep my heart rate below 130 in the other, I rotate this between the two workouts. I also am doing little less band workout and doing one more shorter (1 hr) bike ride a week since I am in town little more right now and able to get the bike ride in.(i normally work out of town all week).

Thanks for checking out my site.

• 8 months later...