Are Vegans At A Disadvantage?

JFCotman

I am new to body building but have been a vegan since 2008 and have to ask. I just read this by renowned body builder who goes by the name of 'Scooby' who lead me to this site. He said the following:

"Now lets look at the problem that vegans face. The highest quality protein available to them is soy and it only has a quality of 117, nowhere near as good as chicken or eggs. They need to be experts on the amino acid profiles of everything they eat so they can combine food through out the day to get the all the essential amino acids they need. The second major obstacle vegans face is in getting enough protein without exceeding their daily caloric budget. All the proteins available to vegans also come with a healthy dose of carbohydrates so vegans need to be very, very strict about their nutrition in order to get sufficient protein with the amount of calories they have available."

Having found this great community, I would love to know what you guys are doing about this.

To learn more about the issue of protein quality, please visit the page cited below.

Thank you!

Why Vegans Are At A Disadvantage

http://scoobysworkshop.com/vegetarianism/#

I am not an expert by any means at all, and everything I know is really anecdotal. But, looking through the profiles on this website, you can see what people have achieved. None of them say "when I switched to veganism, things got much harder". So I find it unlikely that there is a disadvantage, of any significance.

The ratio of vegans to non-vegans is very, very low. Add to that, most vegans are actually not interested in fitness or bodybuilding (I think, primarily because the people who become vegan do it for ethical reasons, and are generally less concerned with what they look like, and more concerned with animal rights issues etc). So, there are going to be hardly any examples of vegan bodybuilders (in comparison to non-vegan bodybuilders). With such a difference in numbers, of course there will also be larger numbers of non-vegan bodybuilders who achieve larger size. I don't think that that indicates that it's harder for vegans, it's more likely to me that there are just less vegans who are aiming for that.

There may also be mistakes that people make when becoming vegan, but I don't think that means that veganism is "hard" to deal with. The changes needed (primarily, eating more of the right foods) are not complex.

Finally I want to add that it's not as clear cut as saying "non-veganism leads to better results than veganism". First of all, non-veganism and veganism are not black and white. It's not as though everyone who eats a non-vegan diet eats precisely the same meals as each other, and likewise, the same is not true of vegans. So it's impossible to compare. But even more importantly, just comparing the lifestyles on what they may do for your bodybuilding short-term (over a span of a few years), is ultimately irrelevant when you consider what high levels of animals products will do to you long term. I realise the following is a little extreme, but you could find a drug which pumps you up and makes your muscles huge for 10 years, then after that it kills you. You might say "people who don't take that drug are at a disadvantage in terms of bodybuilding" - but would you recommend people take it?

• 4 weeks later...

Until better vegan protein products were developed, yes, there was a very real disadvantage.

Now, I'm fairly confident you can be a beast and a vegan at the same time. The fact is that high achievement in anything is usually difficult and is rare by definition, so whether or not there's a disadvantage is immaterial - it's always hard.

I am not an expert by any means at all, and everything I know is really anecdotal. But, looking through the profiles on this website, you can see what people have achieved. None of them say "when I switched to veganism, things got much harder". So I find it unlikely that there is a disadvantage, of any significance.

The ratio of vegans to non-vegans is very, very low. Add to that, most vegans are actually not interested in fitness or bodybuilding (I think, primarily because the people who become vegan do it for ethical reasons, and are generally less concerned with what they look like, and more concerned with animal rights issues etc). So, there are going to be hardly any examples of vegan bodybuilders (in comparison to non-vegan bodybuilders). With such a difference in numbers, of course there will also be larger numbers of non-vegan bodybuilders who achieve larger size. I don't think that that indicates that it's harder for vegans, it's more likely to me that there are just less vegans who are aiming for that.

There may also be mistakes that people make when becoming vegan, but I don't think that means that veganism is "hard" to deal with. The changes needed (primarily, eating more of the right foods) are not complex.

Finally I want to add that it's not as clear cut as saying "non-veganism leads to better results than veganism". First of all, non-veganism and veganism are not black and white. It's not as though everyone who eats a non-vegan diet eats precisely the same meals as each other, and likewise, the same is not true of vegans. So it's impossible to compare. But even more importantly, just comparing the lifestyles on what they may do for your bodybuilding short-term (over a span of a few years), is ultimately irrelevant when you consider what high levels of animals products will do to you long term. I realise the following is a little extreme, but you could find a drug which pumps you up and makes your muscles huge for 10 years, then after that it kills you. You might say "people who don't take that drug are at a disadvantage in terms of bodybuilding" - but would you recommend people take it?

spot on matey! +1

spot on matey! +1

Seconded!

lift heavy eat as much clean vegan food as you can! we wont be at a disadvantage when were still fit and strong at an old age, while all the bodybuilders stuffing their faces with tons of animal products have heart attacks, cancer, diabetes. if you wanna look like ronnie coleman, yes were are at a disadvantage......... but if you want to be fit healthy strong and kind vegan is the way! i only eat fruits, vegetables, patatos, brown rice, wholegrain bread and various beans. i can lift ALOT more than most of the protein powder meat eaters i have trained with. i cycle over 100 miles with no problem too and i never count how much protein i eat.

The first line in the second paragraph started here is incorrect. Stating that the only protein option for vegans is soy is ludicrous, Vega is soy free (&wonderful). Now, I don't know when said Scooby wrote that, but it seems he may not have done enough validated research to support his statements.

I dig your brain, Richard! Well said!