Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Asparagus Strength Journey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:48 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 3 Set 3

4 slow pullups
5 minutes treadmill
4 slow pullups

Squat, ATG
5x135 lbs
3x165
3x200
5x230
3x260
5x290 *

Ab wheel: 5x17
Lunge: 5x15 +30 lbs
Bar holds: 225 lbs, 3x30 seconds double overhand

Squats were fine up to the last set. All warmups were done ATG. I started the final set ATG, but I kept letting the bar slide down a little on my back as I dropped so it was difficult to get into proper ATG position. I had to reposition the bar after rep 2, and again after rep 4. However, after rep 4 while getting the bar back up into higher position it started to swing a little and I didn't feel comfortable moving right into the next rep as I felt off and the weight was difficult. I racked, paused for 15 seconds to collect myself and then did 2 more reps to parallel (or maybe a little below, not sure). I could have done 5 if I kept the bar in the right spot during the lift.

I'm probably going to drop the ab wheel from my program next cycle. I want to start getting some other weighted assistance into my workouts, and while I can always try to balance a plate on my back as I roll out, I'd like to try some other exercises in my limited time. Lunges really wear me out though, especially with the added weight. Did bar holds again, going to try to do them at the end of each session.

That's 200 solid ass-pounds! Good work buddy.
vegan_rossco, the ghost hunter wrote:
I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:30 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Set 1

4 slow pullups
5 minutes treadmill
4 slow pullups

Military press:
5x45 lbs
5x75
5x100
5x115
7x130 - no improvement

Pullups: 8,8,8,6,6
Shrugs: 10x95 lbs, 10x135, 9x225
Bar hold: 225 lbs - 33, 27, 27 seconds

Felt good going into the gym today, but lost my focus when it came to the final press set. I let the bar rest on my chest for a split second after the 6th rep and then ended up push-pressing it to start #7. I could have squeezed out all 8 strictly, but wasn't dialed into what I needed to do so I'm calling it at 7 reps. I'm not sure if this affected the rest of my session. I should have been able to hit 5x8 on the pullups. First time doing shrugs so I'm not sure how to rate my performance. I'll give them a couple cycles to fall in line. Bar holds are on par with last week.

Maybe I should have done a deload week before this new cycle. I'll definitely do one at the end of this cycle though. I've also dropped a couple lbs over the last few weeks, so that might have something to do with it. Lately I've been passing out at home without eating dinner. I need to make sure I eat something, even if it's a few slices of bread with earth balance.

I can see how some people might mistake this as paranormal when really its just an example of your brain being an asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:14 am 
VBB Moderator Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

Yeah, I would be inclined to lose the ab wheel in favour of things like posterior chain work and placing emphasis on training the transverse abdominus (TVA).

Image @MiniForklift
WEB: http://www.jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size
FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mini-Forklift/161273440616736?ref=hl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:02 pm 
Gorilla

Good suggestion. I'm doing leg raises so I've already got some ab work in, although I like the idea of more abdominal support muscle work. I was planning on switching to good mornings for my squat day assistance in lieu of the ab wheel, but maybe I'll try some planks instead.

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Set 1

3 slow pullups
5 minutes bike
3 slow pullups

Deadlift:
5x135 lbs hook grip
5x205 hook
5x255 hook
5x295 hook
9x335 over/under

Glute ham raise: 2x15
Leg raise: 2x14

Had to catch my breath after rep 8 on deadlift, paused 3 or 4 seconds, then hit #9. I felt a little strain in my lower back muscles, but the bar went up.

Had to cut the assistance as I took too long on the deadlift and had to get back to work. No bar holds today either, but at least I had the deadlift as some grip training.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:18 am 

I completely credit having a strong posterior chain to enable me to have a big deadlift. A couple of nights ago I used the 15kg plates for deficit deads and pulled a comfortable 5PPS ~ I got it on video and I'm putting together a compilation of the weeks' training as I'm down at our PL'ing gym this Sunday.

Good work there, strong pulling!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:40 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Set 1

4 wide pullups
5 minutes bike
2x4 wide pullups

Bench:
5x45 lbs
5x95
5x135
5x165
9x185

DB Rows: 2x10x50lbs, 22x80lbs
Dips: BW 4x9,10
Bar hold: 60 secs @ 135lbs, 31 secs @ 225, 13 secs @ 315

No steps today, going out dancing with the wife tonight.

Bench felt great today. I actually had some left in the tank after rep 9, but decided to save it. I'm really happy with my bench press progression over the last few months. I was a lot stronger on the dips this time, since my shoulders were fresher. I think switching dips to bench day assistance was a good idea. Hopefully my jump rope comes in the mail this weekend so that I can get back to my usual warmup next week. I liked the jump rope/pullup alternation for full body warmup.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm 

Your wife is lucky to have you, I would hate to go out dancing !!!!

Strong benching there, looks like you had a good session where everything just clicked. I'll have to give those bar holds a go next time.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 pm 
Gorilla

I actually like to go out to a dance club every now and again, only these days I don't usually have the energy for it so I suck back a 5-hour energy shot beforehand and then write the following day off as useless. I end up getting home at 3 in the morning, whereas I'm usually sleeping by 10 pm. I actually met my wife while hanging out with friends after a night out clubbing.

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Set 1

5 slow wide pullups
5 minutes bike
5 slow wide pullups

Squats:
5x45 lbs
5x115
5x165
5x205
5x240
5x270

I'm still sick with a cold from yesterday so I decided to go easy today and only hit my main lift and the required reps. Even this was tough. I don't want to stress myself too much. I'd rather get over the cold sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:32 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Set 2

4 minutes treadmill

Military:
5x45 lbs
5x85
3x105
3x120
7x135 - no improvement

Pullups: 8,8,7,6,5 - worse than last time
Shrugs: 2x5x135 lbs, 9x225 quick grip reset then 5x225

Blah workout today. Had to cut down on the workout due to a shortened lunch break today. No improvement on military press but I wasn't really into it, probably still dealing with the tail end of the cold from Monday. Mediocre performance all around. Finally got my jump rope in the mail though, but I need to let it hang out a couple days to straighten. Also picked up an eco ball for chalking up my deadlift grip.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:42 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Set 2

Jump rope!
5x100 jump rope alternated w/ 5x3 widest grip pullups

Deadlift:
5x135 lbs hook grip
5x225 hook
3x275 hook
3x315 hook
7x335 over/under

Glute ham raise: 5x15 hands crossed over chest
Leg raise: 5x14
Bar hold, double overhand grip: 135 lbs - 70 seconds, 225 lbs - 40 seconds, 315 lbs - 18 seconds

Stoked about getting back to jumping rope. The rope I purchased is great. http://www.amazon.com/All-Pro-Weight-Adjustable-Handles/dp/B0012RLJY6/. The only problem is that they didn't include extra crimps for shortening the rope. Instead they included a couple of eyelet halves. I wouldn't think about trying to crimp those on the rope as I fear they would cut through it. I ended up just taking a small bit of aluminum tube and using it as a crimp - works fine. I left the rope a little long just in case it wears out at the crimps. That way I can re-crimp it a few times before it gets too short. I'm also using it without the added weight (for now).

Felt great going into the deadlift. I did the first couple warmup sets slowly to make sure my form was good and then blasted through the rest of them. I also bought an eco ball and tried it for the final set. It really dried out my hands and I felt a much more solid grip. I would have gotten the 7th rep anyway, just with the eco ball powder it wasn't dropping into my fingers at the end like usual. Glute ham raises were tough at the end of the sets, and the leg raise was hell. I'll try for 15 reps next time, but I doubt my feet will reach even chest height by the end of those sets. Noticed a bit of improvement in my bar hold times, looking forward to further improvement.

Ended up talking to a couple kids doing squats in the gym who were complaining of tightness and inflexibility. I gave them the secret - stretching! Don't PE/athletics coaches in high school teach stretching anymore? Or do the kids just ignore it because they think it takes too long and doesn't matter (until they injure themselves later in life)? Probably the latter...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:33 pm 

Always impressed with your deadlifts buddy, that's a good effort alright.

I hear you about the kids, I hardly every see any young ones stretching. Probably part laziness and I'm guessing stretching is stressed much through school as being overly important? I'd hope I'm wrong.

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:13 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Set 2

Bench:
5x45 lbs
5x115
3x155
3x175
6x195 - no improvement

DB Rows: 2x10x50 lbs, 20x80 lbs - no improvement
Dips: 5x10
Bar holds, DOH: 135 lbs - 80 seconds, 225 lbs - 37 seconds, 315 lbs - 13 seconds

Felt fine going in but the last set on bench didn't feel great. Rep 6 was a bit more of a struggle than I thought it would be and decided not to try for rep 7. I didn't bother asking for spotter because lately I've been able to finish out my goal rep numbers on bench with a little left in the tank. Not sure what happened on rows, lower reps than last time. I didn't feel as strong on them as I thought I should. Dips and bar holds were fine, and pretty much in line with expectations.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 am 

Hey I tried those bar holds a couple of workouts ago, really liked them. Great way to finish a workout and they're a killer with heavy weight !!

Image @MiniForklift

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:43 pm 
Gorilla

5/3/1 Cycle 4 Set 2

Squats:
5x45 lbs
5x115
5x185
3x225
3x255
6x285 - no improvement

Lunge: 5x15 +30 lbs
Good morning: 10x45 lbs, 10x95, 3x10x135
Bar hold, DOH: 135 lbs - 90 seconds, 225 - 40 seconds, 315 - 17 seconds

Another blah workout. Wasn't on my game and my squats suffered for it. I just couldn't get focused for the heavy set. The first rep felt sloppy, but I got somewhat into the groove for the rest. Again, my hams are touching my calves at the bottom, but looking at the mirror I'm just a bit past parallel. I have to start taking video again so I can check my form from the side. I think I am loosening my shoulders a bit and the bar is rolling/sliding down my back to a lower position. I also don't think I'm keeping my core tight enough, so my chest is dropping, shifting the center of gravity up higher and forward. I tried to remind myself of that before the set, but during the set it just slipped away. I always have good form during my warmups, but almost always lose it during the final heavy set.

First time doing good mornings, weight was pretty easy, although I could feel the bar pressing against my spine up near my neck on one of the 135 lbs sets and from that point on made a point to hold the bar lower.

Bar hold at 135 lbs was better, probably because my grip was pretty fresh today, no real grip exercises on the docket other than those.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:28 pm 

Videos definately help on the squats, great to check your form and depth. Don't be afraid to post them up !!

Much on for the weekend?

Image @MiniForklift

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next