Dylan Kasprzyk's Brooklyn Training Journal

C.O.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha I don't need labels or 100% restrictions personally, but I mostly eat vegan. I ate at Artichoke pizza the other day, if you are going to have a "cheat" haha mmm. Not that I haven't had some great vegan pizza plenty of times too.

My GF brought back a harsh cold with her back from Spain and pawned it off on me. That set my workouts back a bit the last week I haven't gotten much in except for push ups at home. Finally getting over it though.

Tonight is the first game of my new soccer season, and we actually have a goal keeper so I'm thrilled perhaps we can make a run at the title this season.

My sister made a quinoa salad while she visited with... yes quinoa, salsa fresca, corn, black beans, tomatoes, and lots of avocado. It was fantastic.

Last week's first soccer game was super physical and intense. We came back from 1-3 to end it in a 3-3 tie.

Today was my first serious workout since I've been sick. Spent about an hour in the gym. Felt great. I want a real 6-pack with the sides cut without flexing by January 1st 2013. No need to wait for the new year to get started on resolutions and goals!

Tonight portobello mushrooms. I need a good recipe. I'm going to dig through the recipe section in the forum here and see what I can come up with. I'd like to include coconut rice and incorporate dates somehow too if possible. I'll let yal know how it turns out.

-Dylan

How's the motivating going when it comes to gym workouts? When I first started back in the gym, I had the same problem, especially when weather sucked. I work in a vet clinic and have to run my butt off all day and wrestle dogs that outweigh me, so I get the tiredness thing, too. But you know what? The lunch breaks where I'd sneak to the gym for a quick workout, even just a short cardio session (when I was able to do them..), I was not only more productive, but I was happier and even better at my job. On saturdays when I work, I would get to the gym when it opened, hit it hard for an hour, then get myself to work and I would feel awesome the whole day.

All you gotta do is mentally yell at yourself (or out loud...just make sure no one else is around lol) for a week or so to get up and go, and after that you'd pretty much have to yell at yourself not to go lol

I'm super jealous of you playing soccer...I miss it like mad.

Hey Cown, I totally know what you mean. When I force myself to exercise when im tired I always feel better later because of it. If you work out on your lunch breaks...then when do you eat lunch??

The last soccer game was really tough. We were super short on players. My toe injury is still bothering me a lot too. We ended 3-4 in a tough loss to a team we could have beaten.

Anyone know anything about toe sprains? Its been 5 weeks so I must have done something semi-serious.

Oh and from my last post about the portobello mushrooms I used the recipe search engine that someone posted here in the forum under the thread for best websites for recipes. I ended up making a marinade that included soy sauce, pomigranite vinagarette, olive oil, and garlic. It was pretty tasty.

Back to the gym tomorrow! Going to get my squats on.

Doesn't painting count as working out? It should, its how mr meogi trained karate kid. Well I've been so busy, I hate that word busy its such a lame excuse for anything. I did get in a hefty painting session and felt the burn in both my forearms (I rotated hands).

Tomorrow back in the gym for arms, shoulders, pecks, abs and back.

On a food note I found a seaweed salad that is like dehydrated or something and you have to add water to it. I'll let you know the verdict soon on whether its any good or not.

Also I don't feel like I have been eating enough. Ive been on a really odd sleeping schedule because of working nights and comedy and other things and its effecting my eating habits. I love eating so that's not the problem. I just need to make time to prepare food for myself that I can take on the go so I have more time to eat. I don't have any shame in eating on the train. If I'm short on time but spending over and hour and a half each day commuting I may as well put that time to use at least in eating time right?

PS Comedy show I did Wednesday night was super fun! If you are in NYC please get in touch so I can let you know in advance next time I do one.

Glad to hear the comedy show went well!

Nice to see you in the gym regularly too.

Preparing food ahead of time and keeping it with you while you travel, commute, work, etc. is all quite important.

I also don't like the word "busy," and in fact, I retired it from my vocab if I can help it. I avoid using it as often as possible because it's all arbitrary and irrelevant since we all have the same 1440 minutes in a day. It's basically saying, my sh*t is more important than yours and it takes up more time, or it reveals an inability to manage one's own schedule, life and shows a desire to over commit to things, or is otherwise just an arrogant word to say.

There is a great NYT Opinion article titled The Busy Trap I suggest for a good quality read.

I even looked it up for you, because I'm not really that busy http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/

Get some rest, son.

• 2 weeks later...

How's training going?

Cool to see you hosting more and more comedy events. How is that going?

Looking forward to seeing you in Austin. I am arriving the same day you arrive so we can kick it and I can show you around my hood. Though I haven't been there in almost 5 months, so hopefully I can remember what's cool there

Yeah man, we need to get some popcorn-tofu po' boys! We'll definitely hangout at least a couple days.

Weighed myself for the first time in over 6 months after my soccer game and I am as I expected as few pounds down. Its my work and sleep schedule effecting my eating habits I think. So my goal is I have 7 lbs to put on by December 17th before I visit my parents so they don't worry that I am starving here in NY.

Heading down to NYC from the 17th-23 for a show. Will you be around between the 19th-21st? If you're interesting in attending the event, I can hook you up with a ticket. It's kind of a new age show but it should still be interesting.

http://www.newlifeexpo.com

also, if you're around we should hit up a spot in my old stomping grounds together. I could use some good BK Vegan grub and it would be cool to hang

• 3 weeks later...

Giac, sorry man, i've had a lot on my plate lately and couldn't make it out for the fest. How did it go? I really appreciate the invite and please keep inviting me in the future.

Mini Forklift, Sorry I am spacing on your real name right now. I haven't been keeping up with my journal as much as I'd like lately. Weekends have been good when I don't have to work too much. Comedy is starting to pick back up for me too.

Wow not sure what to expect from this possible hurricane. The city is shutting down the subways and buses tonight at 7pm which means no night shift at my part time job and pay for it which is nice but I'm worried the storm will interfere with my flight to Austin Tuesday afternoon. We'll at least I can get some work done and home and a workout in tonight that I wouldn't have if I was stuck working a night shift.

Got in a hurricane workout today. That doesn't mean anything extreme it just means I got in a workout since I didn't have to go to work because all of the subways and trains were shut down because of last nights "hurricane" Sandy. Which wasn't really that bad from what I saw with my own eyes. Not too many people got hurt but the damage to certain parts of the city was huge. The biggest is probably the flooding of the subways. Having to close them for a few days and getting rid of all that water and damage its caused will cost millions, billions maybe.

Working on my posture while lifting. Also just during every day life. Sometimes its nice dating a physical therapist. My own thinking of how to hold myself and work on my posture turned out to be pretty different then how she showed me I should really be positioning myself.

Off to Austin tomorrow!

Total salad domination (15 ingredients): Mixed greens (4 types), vege-crab, peas, corn, pineapple, cucumber, tomatoes, carrots,broccoli, avocado, vegan ranch dressing, hemp seeds.

Spent waaaay too much on fresh squeezed oj but it was delicious. Should probably purchase a juicer.

Arms, abs, chest and shoulders workout.

Tangerine Vega recovery shake with soy milk and oj (tastes like a creme sickle).

Happy hump day yal!

Just a little at home arms, back and abs today, push ups, a couple types of planks, and scissors (I think that's what its called).

eating sunflower seed butter and blue berries, a vega bar, and some Japanese style curry over rice, and a banana. Not a bad start to the day I don't think. My gf and I are playing with the idea of making a bet where in a certain amout of time I have to gain 150% of whatever amount of weight she loses. Could be a fun and motivational challenge for both of us.

We won our soccer match 6-3 last night, I headed a long pass from our goal keeper into their net for a goal and also had 2 assists but numbers aside it wasn't a very good game for me. It was nice to finish the regular season with a strong win. We ended 7th of 12 and made the playoffs (top . Next week we play the 2nd place team who we did pretty well against during the season only losing 3-4. It might play out very well for us because if we win that match which we definitely can we will play the winner of the 3rd-6th place game and won't have to face the number 1 team until we made the finals. I am actually considering cancelling my next comedy show which would be on the same night as the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs if we win our first round. Hard decision though.

Nice to see you in Texas, Cowboy! Nice work in the soccer game too.

Looking forward to playing some cards soon!

I'm using my weekends (as if I had a work schedule anyway) to watch hours of WSOP online Catching up on 2009 and 2010 right now. Stopped watching in 2002 or 2004 I think. It has been a while. Really looking forward to shuffling up and dealing!

I'm excited my gf and I made a bet, that by Dec 27th I have to gave 150% of what she can lose. IE if she loses 10 lbs I have to have gained 15 or more. I love betting it motivates me so much. We recently had a bet which I won and she owns me a home cooked 2 course meal of my choosing, I can't wait, mmm vegan lasagna.

Started at Ballys. Free membership supposedly through work, we'll see. Im on the free trial while they figure out my insurance plan. Nice place, actually found one in manhattan with a 4 lane pool and a hot tub. Diggin' it. Did upper body yesterday, and doing lower body today.

I'm on that red beans and avocado diet. Trying to put on some weight and win that bet with the lady.

-Dylan