Greetings from England and looking for help with recovery

Blish123

Hi,

I'm new to the boards, and new to working out

I'm a Canadian, based in London, UK, and working for an animal rights charity.

As an unfit vegan, just starting out a workout regimen, I'm really struggling. The goal is to lose the gut and build muscle. Being motivated by action, I found a muay thai trainer who I am seeing twice a week. The plan was muay thai on Monday and Friday, and weights on Wednesday. The mauy thai trainer works me hard, and leaves my muscles exhausted. The problem is that they are still sore a week after a work out, preventing me from working out again comfortably.

Is this pain normal? Is it because I am new to working out? Is there something I can do to speed recovery?

I take hemp and pea protien right after a workout, and twice a day. And eat a high protien vegan diet with lots of sprouted beans, tofu, seiten etc.

I am reading through Robert's book now, hoping to find some help in there. In the meantime, do you have any hints, tips or instructions as to how I might speed recovery? Do you know of any supplements that might assist me? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Blish

Hiya, Blish, welcome!

I've been hiking mountains and lifting for 24 years and nothing stayed sore for longer than three days, and those were extreme cases of mind-blowing intensity. If you're still hurting after a week, that sounds like potential injuries to me. Does your trainer know about this? He shouldn't be working you nonstop without recovery periods. If he does know about it, I'd say get another trainer. Never ignore pain. That's like putting Duct tape over the Check Engine light on your dashboard. Pain is your signal to take a moment and get back in balance. You can achieve any goal you desire without hurting for it--in fact, that's how you were designed. Listen to your body, all the answers are there, you'll figure it out.

You already know to start things slow and build them gradually. Perhaps you simply need to put on the brakes a little more. Ain't nothin' wrong with moving forward slowly, as long as you move forward. While you're doing that, getting all the sleep you need, stretching every day, eating what feels right, and making sure you're laughing a lot are the healthiest things you can do to keep in balance. Feed your head happy news and congratulate your body for every gain it makes. Enjoy the journey. Everything else pales in comparison to that. You're doing great.

Baby Herc

Thanks so much for reading my book! I hope you find some helpful things in there. I know some of the meal programs are pretty high in calories, focusing on mass building, but I think there is a lot of great general info and some good specific info about building muscle and losing fat in the book. Again, I appreciate your support.

Happy to have you on the forum too!

Welcome to the group!

All the best!

Robert

• 3 months later...