Stronglifts 5x5 your thoughts/advice?

So with a little inspiration from members of this forum I've decided I'm gonna take my weight training a little more seriously, with that I've had a look around and found what seems to be a pretty decent programme

My goals are strength and size with strength being my priority so stronglifts seemed perfect, has/does anyone use this what's your experience with it and can you give me some pointers? I'm starting on monday with a buddy from college! cheers guys!

One of my friends followed this routine as a starting block for his lifting. Got him pretty strong, and from what I heard he was a fan of the program. I don't think its a complete program that should be used for a long period of time, but as a basis I think its a very strong program for strength.

I think it's a great program IF

1. You don't try to start out too heavy

2. You maintain vigilance about listening to your body and knowing when to NOT add weight.

That said, my squat went from nothing (less than 135lbs) to 215lbs in just three months. I started working too hard on my knee at that point, so I took a break from it and never went back, but I still highly recommend it for building strength quickly.

I started my current strength journey with it, and it worked great for me. I followed it for a little over a year before switching to Wendler's 5/3/1. I got a little impatient at the start of Stronglifts and added a bit of extra weight, although looking back I wish I hadn't. I'm not sure if it was part of the reason for some of my plateaus and deloads, but advancement on the program is so fast that the extra week or two I saved wouldn't have really mattered in the long run. Just make sure you eat and sleep enough, and stretch!

It's a great starting point for building strength.